Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Robin Dies Horribly...Who Cares? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

I was visiting the MTV GeekNews site and came up on these images of Robin (Damian Wayne) being killed. Is this really necessary in a superhero comic? Why doesn't anyone at DC have a problem with this? BTW Damian was 10 or 11 years old
Back to Top profile | search

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 2  

Yeah...another reason why I haven't purchased a comic in close to a decade. Disgusting.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

Less is more. I'm not following any DC titles currently, but I do think less is more with death scenes. When I think of some death scenes from, say, 1970s comics, they were either unseen or implied. If they were shown, they weren't particularly graphic.

It's not too different from horror films, if you ask me. My favourite ones are where there is little gore, like ALIEN or TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, neither of which feature as much blood and gore as other movies which have bucketloads of it.

I can say that my nephew, who is nearly 4, is now into Batman thanks to the Batman Automobilia Collection. He now has a Batman playset. I'm thinking of buying him something Batman-related for his birthday, but if I were buying a comic, I wouldn't buy the one above, based on the graphic details.

Mark Rand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 4  

"Damian Wayne"?

How many "Robins" does that make now? I take it this one is related to Bruce in some way?

Anyway...I'll withhold comment on what looks like one seriously unpleasant comic story. I'm going to hold out hope that DC editors haven't gone completely mad, and the above images aren't what they appear to be. Fingers crossed...

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 5  

ROBBIE: I can say that my nephew, who is nearly 4, is now into Batman thanks to the Batman Automobilia Collection. He now has a Batman playset. I'm thinking of buying him something Batman-related for his birthday, but if I were buying a comic, I wouldn't buy the one above, based on the graphic details.

SER: The creators of modern-day comics have *stolen* these characters from their rightful heirs. It's criminal. A 10-yr-old hero being violently murdered in a superhero comic should be unspeakable.

And a Bruce Wayne who continues as Batman after his son is killed is unrecognizable to me.

It's funny. I have more friends now with kids around 7 or 8 and they watch SUPERFRIENDS and Adam West BATMAN... it entertains them and it's safe for them. The Nolan films are unwatchable for kids (and even the Timm cartoons will require a couple more years).
Back to Top profile | search | www

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

Damian was himself quite bloodthirsty! A darkly entertaining and
compelling character!

It seems that lately, in the Batman titles, the gore is often over the top. In
this context, the violence of his death was not excessive.

I, for one, thought the death story was well told and it got me interested in
reading some of the Morrison material.

Chris Burnham, who drew this issue is an impressive talent!

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

kids around 7 or 8 and they watch SUPERFRIENDS and Adam West
BATMAN... it entertains them and it's safe for them. The Nolan films are
unwatchable for kids (and even the Timm cartoons will require a couple
more years).'
+++

Come on! There's nothing wrong with BATMAN BEGINS of TDKR.

The Joker in TDK is excessively violent, but, even then, the film is cut in a
way that violence is often only implied.

But...the TIMM cartoons? As harmless as Wile E. Coyote's...

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 8  

I have lightened up a bit and I'm finally starting to enjoy a few Marvel and DC titles (however Sixth Gun and Saga are what's really interesting me) but the gore thing is more comical and out of place in certain titles than anything else. 

I'm still a bit baffled about all the "gore" that was displayed in Johns first run on Green Lantern. Really? Green Lantern? Blood in' guts does nothing for me in fight scenes. It doesn't add a thing. The only time blood ever works is when you have a scenario where a previously "indestructible" character get's injured for the first time.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 9  

Flavio Sapha wrote:
...the TIMM cartoons? As harmless as Wile E. Coyote's...

There is a scare factor to the BTAS.  Last summer we had a friend and their family stay at our house for a week.  Their oldest son is 6 and interested in Batman, so I wanted to show him BTAS.  He got scared and would only watch them if I was in the room.  For him, they were hardly Bugs Bunny cartoons.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 10  

And a Bruce Wayne who continues as Batman after his son is killed is unrecognizable to me. 

----

This is my issue. It was bad enough that Jason Todd was killed, but having Batman's own son die destroys the fantasy that it is not inappropriate for Batman to bring a child along with him to fight crime and wrecks the idea of Robin. 

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 11  

Yep looks pretty horrible.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 12  

FLAVIO: Come on! There's nothing wrong with BATMAN BEGINS of TDKR.

The Joker in TDK is excessively violent, but, even then, the film is cut in a
way that violence is often only implied.

SER: I think as adults we might not fully grasp the art of effective entertainment for kids (6 to 8 yr olds). I know I've been guilty of being dismissive of "juvenile" entertainment. However, aside from the violence and adult situations in BB and TDKR, the pacing is such that I can't imagine a child sitting through it. And downer, depressing endings are also not of great appeal to kids.

FLAVIO: But...the TIMM cartoons? As harmless as Wile E. Coyote's...

SER: Matt's post spoke to the scare factor of the TIMM cartoons (something that again as adults, we don't notice) but there's also the pacing. It's at a far different speed and requires a far different attention span than the classic Warner Brothers cartoons.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version