Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: DC - inaccessible from 2004 until 2011? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 1  

Brian Hague's post on the previous page pretty much nails it, I think.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

If I had ultimate creative control over at DC, I'd come up with the following rules:

Never is a long time, but the various CRISIS events (and ZERO HOUR) could never be used again. Ever.

There would be a multi-issue crossover event once every four years, a lot like the FIFA World Cup. They'd be more special then.

I'd allow only one two/three-parter per year, per title. Everything else had to be standalone. That might limit creativity, sure. But if the Jan/Feb/March issues of ACTION COMICS featured a three-parter, then the Apr-Dec issues would have to feature standalone tales.

I'd also do away with alternate earths/realities. Not by using a big CRISIS-style storyline, but by just not mentioning them again. And moving on.
Back to Top profile | search

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'd allow only one two/three-parter per year, per title. Everything else had to be standalone. That might limit creativity, sure.

I've often thought that creativity and harder work would be encouraged by having fewer crossovers, events, reboots, and other such nonsense. That stuff is easy if the intention is to sell comics by shocking readers or forcing them to buy a dozen books to get one story. What I find much more interesting and fun is to read a clever, fun story set within the characters' usual status quo. Anybody can come up with a stunt/ death/ controversial moment/ WTF story, but I want writers who can deliver a solid Spider-Man or FF or Batman story month after month without breaking the toys in the process.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 4  

Excellent point, Aaron.

I am sure anyone can come up with the next big event. I mean, how is it creative to ride off the coattails of a CRISIS event from the 80s? That doesn't sound imaginative to me. How creative is it to just decide to reboot an origin or retell the early years of a character's career? Those things have their place, but it sounds creatively bankrupt most of the time, in my view.

I'd rather see a standalone tale or two. Or a new encounter. Rather than the Fantastic Four involved in some huge multi-part crossover, I'd prefer to see them face Juggernaut (has that ever happened?); rather than another CRISIS-style event or retelling of Batman's origin, why not give us a fresh encounter like Superman vs. Professor Zoom or Batman vs. Toyman?; and instead of rebooting a universe every 5-10 years, why not give us something totally fresh, like X-Men in Asgard (has that happened?) or Dormammu going toe-to-toe with Galactus.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 5  

like X-Men in Asgard (has that happened?)

It happened back in the 80s, but there's no reason there can't be another story like that.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 6  

I want writers who can deliver a solid Spider-Man or FF or Batman story month after month without breaking the toys in the process.

This is where the fanboy-as-writer and the entitled fanboy ruin things. Fanboy-as-writer isn't content telling a story, he wants to write HIS story featuring the characters. Entitled fanboy doesn't want to see Spider-Man fight Electro again because he's seen it too many times. Instead of moving on from Spider-Man, he complains about what he wants from the comic. Then he starts analyzing and critiquing every issue instead of just enjoying it.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 7  

Exactly. And in doing so, he robs the next generation of readers (if Marvel and DC were even interested in new fans at this point) of experiencing the magic that made Spider-Man, or any of many other characters, great to begin with. 

Tony Centofanti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 8  

Exactly. And in doing so, he robs the next generation of readers (if Marvel and DC were even interested in new fans at this point) of experiencing the magic that made Spider-Man, or any of many other characters, great to begin with. 

------

Well, that's what the movies and cartoons are for, as far as Disney and Warners is concerned. I almost feel like the comics from the "big 2" are just vainty projects at this point. 

Does anyone know if DC must publish a Batman comic to retain copyright on the character?

I love comic books to death, but the monthlies are endangered on the way to extinction. I'm willing to bet that the monthlies will transition into being digital tales that are then collected as books. Original "graphic novels" will likely continue to be published as well.

I just don't see how the current model, or restoring the old one( comics being sold everywhere), would help at this point. The damage has been done, and people have kind of forgotten about them as a thing you can buy. 

People like reading things in fancy books or on a screen these days. Magazines and pamphlets are truly on the way out.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

To retain copyright, no. To retain trademark, yes. However, trademarks apply to specific products and elements to market said product. Thus a "Batman" comic trademark applies to the realm of comics. Marvel cannot produce a "Bat-Man" comic.  However, if there were no Batman movies in the recent past or in the works, someone might be able to do a "Bat-Man" movie providing it's about something other than DC's character or a writer deciding to tell the story of the life of the tabloid "Batboy" all grown up. The copyright to Batman is secure though. Even if DC let the trademark lapse, that would just mean that someone else could title their comic that without worry of infringement, much like Marvel has the rights to publish Captain Marvel as a title despite DC sorta having the rights to the original character and his family.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version