Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: DC - inaccessible from 2004 until 2011? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 1  

You nailed exactly why I hate DC and stopped buying their books, Brian..........except I didn't find it as funny as you. lol
Back to Top profile | search

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 2  

I gave up on the New 52 Wonder Woman series pretty quickly. I wanted an
actual Wonder Woman series, not a Vertigo series called Wonder Woman;
and...the Wonder Woman in Justice League doesn't seem to be the same
character who appears in the Wonder Woman series.

I think I'd have been more interested in the New 52 if

…it had been a true reboot from the ground up; nothing had happened prior
to the first issues of the initial titles

…it had started with less than 52 titles--maybe 5-7 titles a week the first
month, 1-2 more titles per week the second month, etc. until they got to
their precious "52"

…they'd kept all the lines and kerfuffle off the costumes

...they'd nailed down their "bible" beforehand

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 3  

I gave up on the New 52 Wonder Woman series pretty quickly. I wanted an actual Wonder Woman series, not a Vertigo series called Wonder Woman;and...the Wonder Woman in Justice League doesn't seem to be the same character who appears in the Wonder Woman series.

I had this same problem. Had it not been for the art, I would have stopped getting Wonder Woman after the first few issues. Which is bad because it was offered at 52% off at my LCS for 12 issues pre-paid. I would have let them keep the issues I'd already paid for!

Brian Skelley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 4  

It's interesting to see on these forums how much the newer comics are disliked, (which of course isn't to say there isn't a valid reason behind it, I'm not attempting to discredit anyone's taste.) I personally dropped DC when they rebooted, as I wasn't interested in financially backing a few people's version of the DC universe at the cost of what I knew and grew up with. I do wonder if the problem isn't both the writing and the readers. It doesn't appear that the writing isn't bad per say, it just doesn't fit the mold of what a lot of older readers know and want to see. It's a pity it's not financially viable to have two lines of books, one made for and enjoyed by an older style and the other this stuff they're doing now.

As much as Claremont gets grief for his over explaining dialogue from the guys in my LCS, I have to say at least with that style you didn't have to read a wiki to know what's going on, and who's who. Something to be said about that kind of accessibility.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 5  

What I do like about the New 52 is that the stories are primarily action-adventure. This is a lot more accessible to me (the Bendis Style of non-superheroism just doesn't appeal). My problem with the New 52 is that they read a lot like the Marvel or Image of the mid 90's. It's an ultraviolent, unsentimental, and ultimately unsympathetic view of superheroes. Which again is unappealing to me. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 01 February 2013 at 7:10pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2013 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

Good point, Joe: "The New 52 as the 1990s" pretty much puts a finger on my problem with the line. I hadn't made that connection, but it really works, both in terms story/art and excess of product.

Brian Skelley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2013 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 7  

Isn't DC made up these days of mostly the guys that ran Marvel and some Image studios back in the 90s? If that's the case is anyone really surprised what they're turning out?

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 8  

I think that I naively took the view of "those who don't learn from the past..."

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 9  

Apparantly, April is "WTF" month at DC according to the new Previews. Really? "WTF" month? They're trying really hard to get rid of any kids that might still be reading their books.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 10  

The "W" stands for Why. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 11  

Comic Book Resources has recently started a column featuring Bob Harras and Bobbie Chase. While I was on the fence about DC's practices, I figured that things would even out after the various crossovers and maybe there would be a little more fun to most of their comic line. In reading the article, they both kept using the word "dark" to describe their comics. When your overall theme of DC Comics and their heroes is "dark", you've kind of gotten away from what makes DC unique. They've lost any variety to their line by deciding on the dark theme.  Batman can have some degree of dark but I felt that Snyder had a good take on Bruce Wayne that was the opposite of dark. After this Joker storyline, all the previews mention the "fallout" after Death of the Family. I beat them to it, I fell out of supporting DC before the arc was over.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 03 February 2013 at 8:32am

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 12  

"Dark"...sighhhhh...I remember when Brightest Day ended, and they implied that things would lighten up and DC Comics would be fun again. Then, along came Flashpoint and the New 52. The alleged fun lasted for all of one year.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version