Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: American Atheists should Come Out of the Closet ! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 1  

There are reasons for this folks.

-----------

A lot of people are fucking idiots?

Back to Top profile | search

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

This should be entertaining.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

Should somebody start popping corn?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

Michael Kane: In at least seven U.S. states, constitutional provisions are in place that bar atheists from public office and one state, Arkansas, has a law that bars an atheist from testifying as a witness at a trial. There are reasons for this folks.

------------------------------------------------------------ -------

...well, over here in Blighty, they give a choice as to whether you can swear a religious 'oath', or a secular 'affirmation'. I testified as a witness for my old University buddy last year, and did just that (being the godless heathen that I am!).

Curious to know what these 'reasons' are, too - considering that it implies that UK legal practice is somehow less valid than the literally 'holier than thou' version in certain parts of the US, by logical extension of the above...

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2013 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 5  

JB: When asked how he would "answer" when called before God for final Judgement, Bertrand Russell said he would say "Lord, you gave us insufficient information!"

See, being the arch-skeptic that I am, my instant response (when faced with something proclaiming itself to be 'God' or similar) would be simple -  "prove it!"

Of course, there's always the Spike Milligan version (taken from 'The Bald Twit Lion', from 'A Book of Milliganimals') - enjoy, folks!

...so God slid down from Heaven on a religious giraffe's neck to the ground. "Who are you, sir?" said Lion. "I am Mr God. If you don't believe me, ask Giraffe!"

Lion did, and Giraffe said, "Oh yes, he's God."

"There," said God. "If you still don't believe me, ask me a difficult question."

"O.K.," said Lion. "How much is 2x2?"

"Four," said God.

"Oh yes," said Lion. "You're God all right."

"Good," said God. "Close your eyes and say `Miggle Moggle Cake'."

Lion did. When he opened his eyes God had gone back home. But Lion now had a lovely lovely mane of beautiful black hair, and he was so happy he married a Roman Catholic giraffe and lived happily ever after until the next day.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 6  

See, being the arch-skeptic that I am, my instant response (when faced with something proclaiming itself to be 'God' or similar) would be simple - "prove it!"

••

The Babel fish is small, yellow, leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the universe. It feeds on brain wave energy, absorbing all unconscious frequencies and then excreting telepathically a matrix formed from the conscious frequencies and nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain, the practical upshot of which is that if you stick one in your ear, you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language: the speech you hear decodes the brain wave matrix.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could evolve purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white, and gets killed on the next zebra crossing.

Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys. But this did not stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme for his best selling book, Well That About Wraps It Up for God. Meanwhile the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different cultures and races, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.

---- Douglas Adams, THE HITCHHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 7  

atheists and fundamentalists use almost exactly the same arguments

False equivalency. Xians preach family values, prayer in schools, and free market capitalism. Atheists come along and point out the Bible teaches us to hate our parents, pray only in private, and to sell all our material posessions and give the money to the poor.

atheists who are WAY more knowledgeable

Is that desperation I smell?

If organized religion existed on the same level as astrology, ghost hunting, and bigfoot researchers, we wouldn't give a damn. But religion saturates our lives, our politics, our whole culture. When you get infected with a virus, the only way to wipe it out is to learn all you can about it.

Edited by DW Zomberg on 04 February 2013 at 8:18am

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 8  

Arkansas natives are threatened by those who walk erect?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 9  

If organized religion existed on the same level as astrology, ghost hunting, and bigfoot researchers, we wouldn't give a damn.

••

Tho, curiously, based on my own experience with such people, the religious folk would be far more knowledgeable about their own "lore" than are most today. One thing about the lunatic fringe, they tend to be right up to date on their fantasies!

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 10  

I want to ask JB, Question One, if I may be so rude, why you refer to Christian sayings as such and give it more "weight" than let's say Jackie Collins? If you write a history drama or comic book I understand it, but other than that it has very little value and even so, if you win the arguments, which you do indeed, you would win them anyway even if you hadn't opened the Bible, that's my opinion.

Question 2: How do you think that you would react to the Bible if you hadn't been introduced to it at an early age, never baptised, no confirmation, but let's say very moderately by people who came from a cult at school at age 13 and handed out new testaments and nobody joined since everybody thought these people were, well, insane? This is what happened to me.

Question 2b: Would you still, do you think, refer to sections in the Bible?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 11  

Hey Lars, if we treated "Hollywood Wives" -one of my favorite fun reads- with the reverence we do the Bible, it'd be an interesting world indeed. 

Michael Kane, I'm still looking forward to your reasons. 

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 12  

Yes, Ed, because to an atheist they are the same, a Hollywood Wives novel/dvd or what it is and another older book. And also I want to say that, what really separates believers and atheists is that, something that JB pointed out, which I strongly believe and hope was a joke, that he was going to hell because he was baptised in church as a baby, while I was not. To a Christian, that makes sense in a way, but to me it's just water. I can go and baptise myself now. To me it's still just water. I was at a baptization/cgristianing or what you call it of a baby. And what was most scary, and i hope JB reads this too, the most scary part was when the priest(ess?), a woman, I happened to glance inside a halfly opened door, and she was praying in front of the water. It would have been more fun if someone was pissing in the water. Not when it's a baby involved though. But if a grownup should be baptised I would have OK:ed it if they pissed in the water, becasue that is a rude joke. But praying when nobody watches (she didn't know I was watching), that means, from my point of view, that the person is insane. The ceremony was a horror movie after that. Never again. I would believe more a guy swearing on a piece of shit or Jackie Collins than the Bible in court. ANd I don't want to be unfriendly ,rude, I respect all Americans, please be the wonderful way that you are, but if you haven't seen anybody before talking to imaginary things or praying to imaginary things, that is scary.

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version