Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: American Atheists should Come Out of the Closet ! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 1  

Michael, I think your take is quite reasonable. It seems to me that the various Christian accounts, whether canonical or non-canonical, are enough to conclude that there was some sort of Jesus fellow who taught and was crucified in 1st century Judea. The evidence is easily ample enough to support such a position.

••

Is that what you said, Michael?

Back to Top profile | search

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 2  

Conner, Ehrman says there are two dozen points of disagreement between himself and Metzger, not with the texts of the Bible.

Ehrman's lifework is dedicated to showing how the Bible is NOT historically reliable because of all the editing, rewriting, bias, propoganda, deliberate mythmaking, and innacuries inherent in the different texts.

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 3  

The evidence is easily ample to support such a position.

Then I guess Hercules really did strangle those two serpents as a babe in his crib.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 4  

The evidence is easily ample to support such a position.

Then I guess Hercules really did strangle those two serpents as a babe in his crib.

••

I've mentioned before watching a documentary some years ago about Samson. An archeologist was asked how we "know" Samson was "real", and with a perfectly straight face he cited the fact that the geographical locations mentioned in the tale are themselves all real, proving Samson really lived.

Wow, I thought, Spider-Man is real!

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 5  

It just goes to show what a flimsy base of rationality our society is based on. People are rational and pragmatic when it suits them, and mindlessly superstitious when it's comforting. It's sort of amusing to me think about how many people are blissfully unaware of how embarrassed they should be to believe what they believe. 

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 6  

It's frustrating that Xians don't realize they only know the name Jesus because of Constantine. Without his conversion, the American South today might well be haunted by Zeus, or Mithra, or Zoroaster.

And why not? One demigod born of a virgin and raised from the dead is as good as any other, right?

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 7  

Hell, Robert, I'd find believers a lot less frustrating if they just practiced what their Holy Books actually teach, as opposed to the exact opposite.

Jesus: Hate your parents. Pray in private. Give everything you have to the poor.

Americans: Family values. Prayer in school. Free market capitalism.

But I guess in a country where George W Bush is considered a veteran and John Kerry a traitor...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 8  

It just goes to show what a flimsy base of rationality our society is based on. People are rational and pragmatic when it suits them, and mindlessly superstitious when it's comforting. It's sort of amusing to me think about how many people are blissfully unaware of how embarrassed they should be to believe what they believe.

••

Embarrassment, I sometimes think, is religion's strongest weapon.

People are indoctrinated in childhood, their heads filled with "facts" they have no way to properly evaluate, and by the time they become reasoning, rational beings, they must face the unpleasant prospect of having been WRONG their ENTIRE LIVES if they step back and look at the mythology from this more adult perspective.

Comfort is, somewhat perversely, the second weapon. Altho most religions preach terrible punishments for those who break the poorly defined rules in even the smallest ways, most believers are able to convince themselves -- even on an unconscious level -- that THEY are getting it "right", and therefore will be okay. Their god LOVES them.

Which brings us to the third weapon: hubris. A mortal sin, supposedly, yet how many of us have seen that self-satisfied smirk on the faces of believers? That overt smugness of the club member looking out upon the great unwashed beyond?

And these things, along with others, feed upon and strengthen themselves.

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 9  

John Byrne wrote:
I've mentioned before watching a documentary some years ago about Samson. An archeologist was asked how we "know" Samson was "real", and with a perfectly straight face he cited the fact that the geographical locations mentioned in the tale are themselves all real, proving Samson really lived.

Wow,
I thought, Spider-Man is real!

This is what I truly believed when I was little - I knew New York was a real place, so I figured Spider-Man must really live there. I also believed in the stories from the Bible back then, but looking back I realise that even then it was the same way I believed in Spider-Man, Donald Duck and Optimus Prime.

Edited by Taavi Suhonen on 07 February 2013 at 9:37am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 10  

Michael, I think your take is quite reasonable. It seems to me that the various Christian accounts, whether canonical or non-canonical, are enough to conclude that there was some sort of Jesus fellow who taught and was crucified in 1st century Judea. The evidence is easily ample enough to support such a position.

••

Is that what you said, Michael?

I would have thought the phrase "It seems to me..." clearly stated whose opinion I was describing. 

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 11  

I try to think of Jesus as he really might have been and it's very hard for me to hypothetically recover based on the Gospels what I presume he as a Jew had to say to his Jewish audience. I think something akin to this:

"I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Taken out of NT context, there's not a religious Jew from the 1st century until today who would disagree! Of course, taken out of context is a whopper of a cheat! It's just that so much else is so suffused with Christian beliefs that only by removing out little tiny bits of general Jewish views can we, I think, peer back into what would have been a message to Jews in Judaea around 30 CE: be more Jewish! But they are only Jewish because they are so general, and being so general that an Orthodox Jew today would stand applaud Jesus' words above, how can we really link them so specifically to one man?

Bill Conway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 12  

What is the real argument here? If its: "Prove God exists", then wallowing around in the weeds of "was Jesus a real guy" or quoting conflicting scripture from the Bible isn’t going to persuade anyone to change their mind one way or the other.

The question should be: does a Supreme Being/Creator/Divine Intellect exist? Why or Why not...

Edited by Bill Conway on 07 February 2013 at 1:28pm

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version