Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Too Much Soap Opera? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2013 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 1  

This discussion also brings back what I recall reading in my copy of How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way.  There, Stan Lee and John Buscema ran through a "quiet" situation by demonstrating how changes in "camera angle", the positioning of characters on each panel, and attention to certain details in action could make even the most banal conversation between men in an office could come across as exciting as the most spectacular superhero fight.  It seems that this lesson has been forgotten by many recent art school grads.

Maybe we ought to have a Top 10 list of "Most Unnecessary Scenes" for comics, such as the static talking heads page that appeared in a recent volume of the Avengers.  That one could've used a kick in the pants from Stan and John!

Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2013 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 2  

Maybe we ought to have a Top 10 list of "Most Unnecessary Scenes"
for comics, such as the static talking heads page that appeared in a
recent volume of the Avengers.  That one could've used a kick in the
pants from Stan and John!

=======
We'd never be able to get away from ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN. The
first 100+ issues could be condensed down by at least half. I actually
had pity for Mark Bagley. From a storytelling standpoint, it seemed like
there were times he just couldn't win. I remember one page with a
conversation that had 12 panels of heads that were the same size.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2013 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

The soap opera elements in JB stories... it's called character development. And the balance of those in all his work is very well made!
I remember some recent Superman stories ( not from JB ): way much more cinematically soap opera-ish and boring: 4 panels ... almost identical in BG, with just talking characters...

Back to Top profile | search | www

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2013 at 1:39am | IP Logged | 4  

While I was at the library, I ran across a trade paperback called Prelude X-men Schism. I leafed thru it, finding that there was no story within the book, it was just a placeholder to Marvel's big X-Men Schism event, basically a comic book version of a "clip show", where a tv series will show an episode that's full of footage clips from previous episodes. I can't imagine buying this book for someone who wanted to have a satisfying read, but it's the way they make comics now, it's so boring. It must be a pain to draw this stuff as a penciller nowadays.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2013 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 5  

I do think that "characterization" is the right word here. Even if JB has a prolonged sequence of dialog, I'm never worried, because I know there will be a good blend of action to go along with it. This is something I'm never concerned about when reading JB's work, given his style. If there is lengthy exposition, there will be a prupose for it.

To the other extreme is someone like Bendis, who goes on and on just to illustrate how "clever" his dialog is without any real developement or forward progress. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 January 2013 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 6  

While I was at the library, I ran across a trade paperback called Prelude X-men Schism. I leafed thru it, finding that there was no story within the book, it was just a placeholder to Marvel's big X-Men Schism event, basically a comic book version of a "clip show", where a tv series will show an episode that's full of footage clips from previous episodes. I can't imagine buying this book for someone who wanted to have a satisfying read, but it's the way they make comics now, it's so boring. It must be a pain to draw this stuff as a penciller nowadays.

••

I have long suspected this is at least PART of the reason books get behind schedule. I can't begin to fully imagine how demoralizing it must be for the artist -- already reduced to Art Robot by being handed a full script -- to have to face page after page, day after day, of talking heads.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 7  

We'd never be able to get away from ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN

I read the first trade a few years ago based on the good buzz. It takes him something like 6 issues to put on the costume! And people/critics think this is a GOOD thing! To me, that's what started the era of decompression.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 28 January 2013 at 10:38am

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2013 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 8  

Reading all this, I do worry that there are readers out there (by which I'm not talking about JBF'ers! I mean the idiots who prompted this thread) who have two settings: big splash-page action set-pieces, and copy-pasted panels of 'talking heads'.

And yet, give them an actual character-driven story (remember those things, old-timers?), and it's 'soap opera'. Go figure.

Of course, this might also be due to the fact for far too many, the only kind of character-driven drama they know IS soap opera, and thus they equate any other kind of storytelling with it. Like when I'd want to punch my locker door in frustration at school, whenever I'd hear people talk about Shakespearean 'unrequited love' as being like something they'd seen on 'EastEnders' or 'Hollyoaks' (for readers outside the UK, these are home-grown soaps - and they're not great, frankly).

(worst case in recent years for me - 'Downton Abbey'. I finally managed to put my finger on what bugged me about it, and it's more of the same - it's made by modern TV writers used to the soap opera format, and thus it's a 'generic modern soap in period costume'. Compare that to things like the original 'Upstairs, Downstairs', or actual 'period drama', where the choice of setting defines the characters/storytelling, and is more than just 'bodywork' that disguises the same-old same-old under the 'hood')

Edited by Rick Shepherd on 28 January 2013 at 3:55pm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version