Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: DC Cancels Their Only All Ages Superman Title (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 1  

The 10-year-olds of today are not the 10-year-olds of 2003 or 1993 or 1983

My 11 year old likes old Archie digests, Phineas & Ferb, and Bone, stuff I'd consider 'all-ages'. I really wonder if a typical 10 year old voraciously pours over the excess verbiage in a typical Marvel book, or loves the Image-lite shenanigans of Nu52.

I think it's about what we introduce to young readers: if all they're exposed to is 'crap' (a generalization for 'inappropriate' material), that's what they'll gravitate to.

Give 'em something fun without 'adult' undertones (and not based solely on marketing focus groups), maybe they'll take to that, who knows?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 2  

" The X-Men's mansion/ school, for example, was the kind of place I wanted to live in when I was a kid. "

One of the things I loved about the X-Mansion was the private quarters of the X-Men. Storm's loft was a greenhouse, Kitty's was a teenager's room. Also, wasn't there a bar in town where the guys hung out? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
What I find frustrating is that the past few decades have brought us an explosion of comicbook material in all imaginable genres. There is no NEED for the ennui-engorged fanboys to demand that YA/Juvenile fare like superheroes cater to THEIR changing tastes. Go read comics that DO THAT, without monkeying with the ones that don't!!

Exactly. But then we get to the harsh reality. Many in fandom only want to lend lip-service in their cries for "sophistication." There are plenty of comics, as you say, written specifically for adults, but they don't want to read them.

DC got it right with Vertigo, and Marvel before this with their Epic line. Unfortunately, fans that don't want to fully "grow up" are the ones responsible for confusing the issue. I've never had that problem. I have different standards for mainstream comics and "art" comics and go into each one with, what I feel, is the correct mindset. 

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

Brian Lewis wrote:
...I'd blame the changing audience more than the changing taste. The 10-year-olds of today are not the 10-year-olds of 2003 or 1993 or 1983...

Funny thing that happened at my comics shop this past weekend:

A young father comes into my shop with his wife and daughter,who looked to be about 5-years-old, looking for comics for the girl. I suggest some all-ages comics, including "Archie" comics. The dad dismissively comments that she has "weirder" tastes than that. Coincidentally, just a second or so later the girl points to a picture on a box of comics and says. "I like this one, daddy. I like this." It was a box of "Archie" comics with Archie's face on the picture.

The father's expression was priceless. Hah!

Brian Lewis wrote:
... I have a friend with a MAME arcade machine loaded with ROMS from the 80s to mid 90s. Over the holidays, we were there and my kids got to see it for the first time. They consider themselves video game "fans". Well, they loved this machine...for about 30 minutes or so...

That sounds like most kids with anything. That infamous short attention span kids are said to have these days.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2013 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 5  

Brian Lewis
... I have a friend with a MAME arcade machine loaded with ROMS from the 80s to mid 90s. Over the holidays, we were there and my kids got to see it for the first time. They consider themselves video game "fans". Well, they loved this machine...for about 30 minutes or so..

This is not that...That is to say apples to oranges comparisons.  The technology for playing games has changed in astounding ways.  You cannot compare games of today to games of the 80's.  Also, the arcade games that you are describing were best played in the surroundings of an Arcade...it's real easy to forget the social aspect of playing in an arcade; no parents around, surrounded by and challenging you peers.  Now days you can have all that at home.

Comic books, on the other hand, have simply not changed that much.  Other than the paper they use and price they charge.  If you don't write for the appropriate age, and don't put them where kids can get them, kids wont buy them.

Again Brian Lewis

...I'd blame the changing audience more than the changing taste. The 10-year-olds of today are not the 10-year-olds of 2003 or 1993 or 1983...

My wife taught 6th grade, and currently teaches 4th.  Of course they are called "Graphic Novels" so that they sound more acceptable.  The Comic book format is an extremely popular format for kids.  Early readers can gain confidence, stronger readers enjoy the stories just as much.  It's not the kids.

Blaming this on the kids is silly.  Imagine if Nike made an extremely popular running shoe.  Then they moved them the stores and put them in Running Shoe stores.  Then they methodically removed the extra padding (action) special tread (fun) and specially designed arch support (all ages stories) replacing them with celebrity endorsements and extra fancy boxes.  Would you blame the runners?

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2013 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 6  

Add to the fact, my daughter just turned 10 years old this past December 26th, and she adores reading DC and Marvel comic books from the 1960's and 70's.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2013 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 7  

Also, wasn't there a bar in town where the guys hung out?

There was until Wolverine took Colossus (with Nightcrawler in tow) to the bar for a "whoopin'" for breaking Kitty's heart. Colossus vs. Juggernaut in civvies with Colossus looking like the bad guy. I was 11 at the time (and had a Kitty Pryde crush) so I was a bit bummed by the story. Nice teen angst story but not a great X-Men story.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2013 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 8  

There was until Wolverine took Colossus (with Nightcrawler in tow) to the bar for a "whoopin'" for breaking Kitty's heart. Colossus vs. Juggernaut in civvies with Colossus looking like the bad guy. I was 11 at the time (and had a Kitty Pryde crush) so I was a bit bummed by the story. Nice teen angst story but not a great X-Men story.

The bar they wrecked was in Manhattan. 

The favorite local hangout for the X-Men was Harry's Hideaway. 

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2013 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

Brian Lewis wrote:
...I'd blame the changing audience more than the changing taste. The
10-year-olds of today are not the 10-year-olds of 2003 or 1993 or
=======
Has there been a genetic mutation develop in the current adolescent
population of the ENTIRE globe?! Children are a blank slate. They are
whatever you put into them. If a 10 year old child is more adapt at
handling violence, sex and language, it's because there parents
allowed them to do so.

Children haven't changed. Many parents and other adults have simply
gotten more lazy and selfish.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2013 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 10  

The favorite local hangout for the X-Men was Harry's Hideaway. 

Oh, we were talking about the originals. Whoops. I waxed nostagically for nothing.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2013 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 11  

My high school students check trades and graphic novels out of the library alot. I'll go to the LCS and see students and former students there and the store has a decent number of kids that come in either with their parents/customers or they actually bring them. I was talking to a guy the other night who was there picking up comics for his 10 year old son who loves the Avengers. Another parent was asking about the Fantastic Four and the owner pulled out JB's run and told him to pick any issue. 

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2013 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
Oh, we were talking about the originals. Whoops. I waxed nostagically for nothing.

"Harry's Hideaway" was the bar in Salem Center where the "new" X-Men hung out, the Coffee A-Go-Go was the coffee house where the original team went.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version