Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: DC Cancels Their Only All Ages Superman Title (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

I've never had a satisfying end to a story that I didn't like half way through.

Never thought of it that way, Matt. Good point and you've helped me make my decision.

I pick up Earth 2, Worlds' Finest, and Legion of Super-Heroes because I actually enjoy them.

I get World's Finest and Legion, Thomas. I enjoy those as well but that's probably going to be about it for me and DC.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 21 January 2013 at 12:36pm
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

Trust me when I say that I understand not wanting to drop a comic midway through a story for fear it "might get better" or that my opinion will change or that I'd have an uncompleted story in my collection, but I've long since gotten past that feeling. 

I had similar feelings about TV shows. I didn't want to stop watching a show I had stopped enjoying in case it got better whilst I was away. However, I now think, so what? If it gets better, ignorance is bliss and I won't know about it.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 3  

Like many comic fans, I had that almost OCD-fueled desire for a "complete run" of a character's title. Then I had my mini epiphany of... "who cares?" I have all the issues I enjoy and would like to read again.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 4  

Go read comics that DO THAT, without monkeying with the ones that don't!!

Exactly, if I don't find what I want from superhero books, I buy crime (like INCOGNITO), sci-fi (like HIGHWAYS) and so and so on.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 5  

All I know is, the DC and Marvel offices' restrooms must be constantly occupied with water running all day, for all the masturbation going on by all these over/under-sexed greasy executives sneaking around with Jim Lee Wonder Woman art under their arms. 

It makes me wonder if any of the men behind comics actually have wives and girlfriends, or friends who are women, at all. I just feel like any man who talks to or interacts with women aren't likely to write/draw them with pudenda up and flaring. 

The weird thing, I feel like comics were much better at illustrating sexuality in the deep past, simply BECAUSE there were restrictions. 

Barring some of the more violent aspects of this page from a Joe Staton Huntress story, I recall seeing it as a newly-minted teenager and being blown away by how sexy it was. And that's with me having a very limited understanding of sexual fulfillment, but that a wonderful drawing of a beautiful woman had the power to stir a boy in ways he didn't understand--I've never forgotten it, as an adult, with years and decades of viewing women far less clothed and far more explicit. Yet this is more impacting, over time, in memory.

Clifford Boudreaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 6  

The Huntress... not sure I'm aware of any other book that went from Code Approved to Mature Reader in the space of a month.

First six issues, it was a newsstand book, then went MR with #7.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

This particular story was part of the series of Huntress tales running in WONDER WOMAN in the late 1970s. 

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 8  

I remember that story. I was a bit shocked by the sexuality of it at the time.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 9  

One of the things I find most disconcerting about today's superhero comics is how many heroes (or more accurately, main characters) have virtually no normal lives outside of their adventures. They have no parents, no neighbors, no significant others who are not also super-powered characters. They have no childhoods or anything resembling normal lives. What civilian friends they have are little more than cardboard cutouts. They exist purely in a world of amoral spy organizations and endless intrigues. I'm specifically referring to most of DC's "edge" and "teen" comics, though I'm sure much of Marvel is like that as well. How are we supposed to relate to these characters? 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 22 January 2013 at 9:22am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 10  

JOE: One of the things I find most disconcerting about today's superhero comics is how many heroes (or more accurately, main characters) have virtually no normal lives outside of their adventures.

SER: I consider that one of the big problems with abandoning the secret identity. You lose the "real world," so Peter Parker hangs out with the Avengers instead of the employees at the Daily Bugle. And when he's at home, he's sticking to the wall rather than sitting in a chair talking to Mary Jane or Aunt May.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 11  

I agree, Joe and Stephen. Part of the appeal of imagining what it would be like to be those characters was in their non-costumed lives. The X-Men's mansion/ school, for example, was the kind of place I wanted to live in when I was a kid. Imagining being an X-Man had as much to do with finding a "family" of that sort and living there as it did with battling the Juggernaut or the Hellfire Club. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 12  

One of the things I find most disconcerting about today's superhero comics
is how many heroes (or more accurately, main characters) have virtually no
normal lives outside of their adventures.
---
This!

The superhero comics that I most enjoy have a good balance of superhero
and civilian time.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version