Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: DC Cancels Their Only All Ages Superman Title (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 5:12am | IP Logged | 1  

Almost forgot... Robbie, you're a big Masters of the Universe fan, if memory still works!
Well, I  hope you haven't read the new DC miniseries! Great idea they had... thei did it for ADULTS!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 6:14am | IP Logged | 2  

Francesco's right about the Masters of the Universe. Forget the written for adults part, it was BORING!!!
Back to Top profile | search

Scott Morrissey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 6:16am | IP Logged | 3  

Brian, that last post of yours was an interesting read, but also depressing!

Can't think of any mainstream book from the "Big Two" in the last 25 years that have been all ages. As in strickly all ages. 

Lee and Kirby's Fantastic Four run is a perfect example of an all ages comic. Also put The Avengers into this category. As stated above 80's comics did have plenty for older and younger readers. However I wouldn't want to explain the Captain Marvel/Marcus relationship (Avengers 200) to a young kid who asked questions about it.

It's almost as if shock value has to increase. The death of Qwen Stacey and the Goblin would have been shocking on publication. However, the Lizard killing his son, Billy seemed way over the top to me. Stephen King level horror (which IMO the Lizard killing Billy was) really doesn't have a place in Spider-Man. But on a scale was Qwens death as shocking back in 1973?

When it comes to modern comics. The licenced titles seem to be the most kid friendly. Some extreme scenes at times. However nothing that would be too out of place in a Star Wars film. All depends on the maturity of the child reading the comic.

1986 seemed to be when the box was opened. Batman Year One, Watchmen, Dark Knight, Daredevil Born Again etc when comics did take a leap into the mature readers area. And while this was good for current readers at the time, and I didn't complain. It did start the ball rolling in a game of upsmanship, what story can be more 'mature' than the last. This storytelling is fine for Watchmen, Marshall Law, Alien Legion etc. Self contained stories. But then the companies appeared to want it with Batman, Spider-Man, Daredevil each and every month.

Perhaps it harder to write all ages material than it appears. Stan Lee didn't have too much trouble. It may well be that each incoming generation of writers wanted comics to grow up with them. There by giving us the 'mature' stories.

It does concern me that a 10 year old or younger, can't walk into a store and buy a Spider-Man or Batman comic. And I'm not sure how much longer the artform will survive in such an environment.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 4  

When it comes to modern comics. The licenced titles seem to be the most kid friendly. Some extreme scenes at times. However nothing that would be too out of place in a Star Wars film. All depends on the maturity of the child reading the comic.

Perhaps it harder to write all ages material than it appears. Stan Lee didn't have too much trouble. It may well be that each incoming generation of writers wanted comics to grow up with them. There by giving us the 'mature' stories.

Something I've brought up several times here over the years when the subject of "all-ages" comes up is that what the creators of comics, if they're so unsure of what all-ages means, need to do is look at many of the things in other media that comics fans seem to like and that many of us have been enjoying since we were kids and still enjoy as adults without demanding that they "grow up with us."

Star Wars, Star Trek, the Indiana Jones movies, the Sherlock Holmes stories and many of the film adaptations, the work of JRR Tolkein, and even most of the James Bond movies are all things that I enjoyed  as a kid and can still enjoy now and the content in them hasn't had to become any more or less adult to fit my tastes in storytelling and I suspect many fans of these things feel the same. What makes comics different? Nothing, as far as I'm concerned.

Do some of those things contain "mature themes?" Absolutely. There's certainly nothing immature, childish or dumbed down about Star Trek (until very recently) or Sherlock Holmes or Lord of the Rings or Indiana Jones and they all contained a certain amount of intensity, violence, innuendo, etc....but all done with the sort of restraint and skillful storytelling that makes it accessible to kids who can enjoy it on one level and adults who can enjoy it on multiple levels.

Just as I can watch a classic Trek episode or read "The Sign of Four" or sit through RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and enjoy them now at the age of 35, I got just as much entertainment out of them when I was 10. I can say the same for the truly all-ages comics of the years when I was growing up, stuff like JB's FF for example.

All-ages storytelling works very, very well in all those examples I just listed. What's been more successful over the past 35 years than Star Wars? The evidence is out there if the powers that be at DC and Marvel would just think about it for a minute. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 5  

Over in the new comics thread, we've been talking about Batman. I've personally enjoyed it up until the recent Joker storyline. I was apprehensive but I try not to make too many knee jerk reactions based on what I think is going to happen in a comic.

As the story has progressed, I've dropped Batgirl, Nightwing, and I'm considering dropping Batman and Detective. I'd already dropped Batman and Robin with the Zero issue because I just felt like there is just way too much twisted, dark stuff going on in Gotham. Scott Snyder does a nice job making the bad guys creepy and scary but I just feel like he's pushed it over the edge with this storyline. Outside of the fact that he's had his face peeled off, the Joker now just seems almost too powerful. The carnage he's created in this storyline is just too over the top. Numerous police, Arkham Asylum guards, and innocent people has to be pushing this Joker killing spree to close to a hundred people easily. While that makes for great horror, it doesn't make for a great Batman comic to me.

Nightwing and Batgirl shouldn't be as dark as they are and with whatever ramifications coming to Dick Grayson after the storyline, I chose to just drop Nightwing. Batgirl should be better. Gail Simone is good but ever since Secret Six, she seems to know only dark characters and storylines. Barbara's brother coming back is only going to make things worse. Yet, two years ago we had a very fun Batgirl title written by Brian Q. Miller. This thread discussion has really made me reassess my DC purchases to the point that I may not give Batman time to finish the storyline.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 6  

Personally, I've never had a satisfying end to a story that I didn't like half way through.  Doesn't matter if it's a novel, a movie, an episode of a television series or a comic book. The way a story unfolds dictates how I'll feel about it at the end no matter what happens.  Trust me when I say that I understand not wanting to drop a comic midway through a story for fear it "might get better" or that my opinion will change or that I'd have an uncompleted story in my collection, but I've long since gotten past that feeling.  I trust my instincts now and have no problem dropping a title midstream if I don't like it.  Hell, I dropped 99.9% of the literally 25 or more books I used to buy per month just three years ago.  All of them midstream.  I'm better for it.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 7  

It's interesting to drop everything after years and years, isn't it, Matt? I made
the leap about two years ago, and I've not really looked back. I pick up Earth
2, Worlds' Finest, and Legion of Super-Heroes because I actually enjoy them.
Beyond that, it's he occasional trade paperback or hardcover. It's great to no
longer be a slave to the completist mentality.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 8  

Agreed.  Although I miss my weekly trips to the LCS and sitting down on a Saturday morning to read my stack of books, I don't miss the diminishing returns I was getting with each successive year.  The hardest for me to drop was ASM.  I'd been buying it for well over 30 years but finally enough was enough.  I was done.  Haven't looked back.  It's a self-imposed weight off my shoulders and now I really only spend my hard earned dollars on things that I enjoy instead of feeling tied to a book to keep an uninterrupted run or because I used to enjoy a character that now is only faintly familiar. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 9  

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

I can't help but think the comicbook industry today would be a whole lot healthier if fans and pros alike adopted that as a mantra.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 10  

There are few things about the world of comics more frustrating that talking to adult so called 'fans' of comics who insist that comics and the characters themselves are 'silly' or 'goofy' and that they must be changed to make the characters acceptable for 'them'.  Y'know...the usual "No underwear on the outside for Superman because its goofy!" types.

I usually end up reminding them that if they find comics childish and silly then perhaps they need to move on to more 'adult' fare like sports
(where guys often wear underwear on the outside!) 

They never get the irony.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

What I find frustrating is that the past few decades have brought us an explosion of comicbook material in all imaginable genres. There is no NEED for the ennui-engorged fanboys to demand that YA/Juvenile fare like superheroes cater to THEIR changing tastes. Go read comics that DO THAT, without monkeying with the ones that don't!!

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'd blame the changing audience more than the changing taste. The 10-year-olds of today are not the 10-year-olds of 2003 or 1993 or 1983. Interests have changed because what is available has changed. 

As an example, I have a friend with a MAME arcade machine loaded with ROMS from the 80s to mid 90s. Over the holidays, we were there and my kids got to see it for the first time. They consider themselves video game "fans". Well, they loved this machine...for about 30 minutes or so. 

This can carry forward to movies, television, cartoons, and comics. All media has gone through periods of change and the increasingly savvy kids want more of what is theirs rather than what was ours.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version