Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: DC Cancels Their Only All Ages Superman Title (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 1  

Do kids read comics now?

••

It's less a question of "Do they"? than of "Can they?"

And the irony here is that the people who are making comics utterly inaccessible to "kids" -- and thus cutting the industry off from its vital life giving supply of "new blood" -- are indulging the worst kinds of fanboy fantasies, and forgetting the comics that first drew them to the hobby.

Back to Top profile | search

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 2  

Do kids read comics now?

They can't find them and they're mostly inappropriate if they do find them.

And what makes it even worse is that superheroes are, maybe, as popular now as they've ever been. Movies like AVENGERS  are hugely successful, there are more quality superhero cartoons now than ever before, and I constantly see kids in public with superhero-themed clothes and even homemade costumes, much more than I ever recall seeing in the past. Last week my wife, who works in a Verizon store, posed with a kid who had come into the store dressed as Batman and sent the picture to my phone. A few weeks ago I saw a kid in the supermarket carrying a Frisbee painted to look like Captain America's shield.

If there was ever a time to try to get kids interested in comics again, it's now! But the publishers don't seem to want to realize that. I guess they're more worried about losing the relatively small audience they still have, the ones who think "WTF" is a clever gimmick.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 3  

Maybe a better first step is to put that at a price point a child could afford. As it is, its the early teenagers that have the most disposable income so only make sense to go after the 13-18 year old audience.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 4  

I remember when Marvel upped their prices to 65 cents and I was only allowed to get one when we went to the store. Annuals and special issues ($1-$1.25) were comics that I usually had to plead for but I could justify buying because they had more pages.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 31 January 2013 at 10:24am

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 5  

Do kids read comics now?

They can't find them and they're mostly inappropriate if they do find them.

My eldest son is six and I don't think I was much older when I came across a copy of Avengers #202 (how and where is lost in the midst of time).  I probably didn't "get it" completely at the time, but there was nothing in it that I couldn't read.  Just good old traditional superheroes doing what they do best. 

The second comic I can recall was a Marvel 2-in1 teaming up the Thing and the Human Torch in a fun adventure with them chasing after a man trying to tick things off his wish list before he turns thirty (like being a fireman).  Many comics now seem to operate in a different way and the fun has gone - not saying I necessarily don't enjoy them but I'm sure my son won't.

Edited by Matthew Wilkie on 31 January 2013 at 10:29am

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 6  

Many comics now seem to operate in a different way and the fun has gone - not saying I necessarily don't enjoy them but I'm sure my son won't.

"All-ages" seems to have lost its true meaning. It doesn't have to mean just for kids! The phrase itself literally says what it SHOULD mean. I can go back and reread, say, JB's Fantastic Four now, at the age of 35, and enjoy it as good storytelling, just as I did when I was 9. I might appreciate it in different ways, but it works for the child or the adult. That's what's missing from today's comics. There are tons of other things popular in other media that operate according to all-ages standards, but not Marvel and DC comics, not anymore. 

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 7  

I don't want to paint in broad strokes but alot of creators aspire to move beyond comics so they won't "dumb down" their writing for kids. Who cares if what you're writing doesn't appeal to a new generation when you're going to be in Hollywood in a few years. Or worse, if you're a Hollywood writer that's just doing comics on the side. You're scratching an itch, not necessarily caring who reads it. 

Take a guy like Mark Millar, it wasn't until he starting writing mainly for adults (with rape and murder as his subjects) that he was able to make a name for himself. Where is he now? Hollywood.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 31 January 2013 at 10:45am

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 8  

I don't want to paint in broad strokes but alot of creators aspire to move beyond comics so they won't "dumb down" their writing for kids.

But they are dumbing it down, but not with kids in mind. Good writing embraces the strength of its genre or medium. I don't see many of today's Marvel and DC writers doing that. An all-ages comic written to tell a good story is something that requires skill and restraint and ingenuity to write. Slapping "WTF" on a cover or attempting to shock the reader with fountains of gore is true dumbing down!

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm not sure if I've already told this story but there are a few people coming into my LCS who are looking for comics for their kids. One guy was looking for a good comic with the Avengers and Hawkeye because his 3rd grade son was really into the Avengers after the movie and that he knew nothing about comics. The owner and I told him various Avengers comics that he could pick from the back issue selection after he wasn't quite sold on the current Hawkeye comic. He picked a couple of the Avengers issues (maybe a West Coast issue as well). Another guy came in looking for Fantastic Four for his son and daughter. The owner opens the bin and says "Pick any issue by John Byrne and you'll have everything that you need to know in one issue." He wound up grabbing a few. I actually saw the "Hawkeye" dad and his son last night combing through back issues with one of his son's buddies. So there's kids out there looking for comics, the big two need to acknowledge that.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 10  

So there's kids out there looking for comics, the big two need to acknowledge that.

We raided the loft and brought down the first five or six issues of Power Pack.  May not have been everyone's favourite, but it was an almost perfect read for Dad and his six year old to enjoy together.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 11  

I actually bought a bunch of Power Packs during my LCS' last sale. I enjoy them but they're appropriate for my daughter when/if she ever gets interested in comics. She enjoys going to the store for Jelly Bellies right now.

John Mariani
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 12  

Stephen Churay, the first thing that crossed my mind when I heard about "WTF" was kids asking their parents or whoever "what does that mean?".

I think this is sad. That a big publishing company like DC would do such a thing ...

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version