Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: DC Cancels Their Only All Ages Superman Title (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 1  

Aaron-

And the parade of genius ideas from DC continues as they're adding the phrase "WTF Certified" to all their April covers to signify that these issues will all contain a shocking event!

------------------------------------------------
This just blows my mind. I might have thought you were kidding but I just read that elsewhere. Ugh.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 2  

Comics Code ---> WTF Certified. How far comics have come. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm beyond disgusted by this. I don't know what to say. When I was a kid, I dreamed of being like Superman or Batman or any of a host of other GOOD and HEROIC characters. When I got a little older, old enough to understand that someone had to write and draw the stories featuring those heroes, I dreamed of being one of those creators. My life and my imagination wouldn't be the same today if it hadn't been for my experiences reading about those characters. I wouldn't be who I am now, I probably wouldn't have gone into a creative line of work like I have. I admired the characters and I admired the creativity of their creators. I believe many other kids were inspired by those comics too. And now the powers that be think "What the fuck?" is an appropriate marketing slogan to slap on the covers of books featuring Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman? What is wrong with these people?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

Aaron Smith wrote: "The Phantom Stranger being impaled on some kind of blade but, surprisingly, not spurting any blood!"

Leave it to that guy to buck the trends, betray his fellows, and go his own way. I'm sure it's all part of a larger plan, however... :-)

I look forward to MarvelNow's marketing response: "F*ckin' Assistant Editor's Month, Bitches!"

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 5  

WTF Certified.

All I can think to say to the DC WTF is GFY.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm so glad that Darkhorse, IDW, Image and Oni are producing stuff I
like. The majority of DC and Marvel titles have been unappealing for so
long that I don't even miss reading them any more.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 7  

You know, when Aaron first posted the WTF Cetirfied thing for DC, I
thought he was just messing around. Sadly he's not. I'm sure this is
DC's attempt at being modern, hip and cool. Unfortunately, they just
come off shallow, sad and pathetic.
Unfortunately for me, I found out this was for real the hard way.
See, I was forcibly removed from a comic shop today. I started yelling
at the guy behind the counter,(but not cussing), when he reminded
another customer that April was DC's "WHAT THE F¥€k Month",
while I was in there with my three year old.

Now, I'm no longer content at boycotting DC's books. Now I'm going
to see how high up the food chain I can get within Warner Bros. to
see if I can cost someone there job. That way I can LMAO as I read
of there firing.   

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 8  

I think WTF is kind of lame, but I don't think its that big of a deal. Once again, comparing various the media geared towards kids, its still in line with the current world. Heck, I didn't see people getting upset when Battlestar was using frack, an obvious alliterative substitute for fuck, multiple times in every episode.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 9  

I'm sure this is DC's attempt at being modern, hip and cool. Unfortunately, they just come off shallow, sad and pathetic.

••

I'm reminded of a DC house ad in the mid-Sixties, that featured an explosion of words meant to describe their product. One of those words, in big display lettering, was "HEP" -- a word that had fallen out of any but sarcastic usage at least ten years earlier!

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 10  

I made a decision the last few weeks to drop all of the DC titles that I was buying except World's Finest. Not a terribly hard decision since I've always preferred Marvel characters but I have some history with DC (Man of Steel, Ostrander's Suicide Squad, Legends, Breyfogle's Detective, Aparo's Batman). The current DC regime seems to be more interested in shocking people. That's fine if you like that sort of thing but I don't.

In the past, I've thought that Didio brought some good and some bad when he joined DC but the more I think about it we have:

- Sue Dibny's rape and murder (while pregnant)

- Elongated Man's death

- Black Adam killing an entire nation

- Blue Beetle getting a hole blown in his head

- Jonathan Kent's death (and in the New 52 Martha and Jonathan)

- The "darkening" of Mary Marvel (Didio's take that the Marvel family "doesn't work" in the DC Universe)

- Joker cutting his face off

- Changing Harley Quinn's look to show alot of skin.

- Speedy's daughter getting killed and Speedy himself getting his arm ripped off.

-"Killing off" KIrby's version of the New God's  

- As well as various dismemberings and deaths that I haven't mentioned. 

I realize that creators (specifically Geoff Johns) did all of this but it was under Didio's watch. I'm not sure who he's appealing to with these kinds of moves.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 31 January 2013 at 9:15am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 11  

- The "darkening" of Mary Marvel (Didio's take that the Marvel family "doesn't work" in the DC Universe)

••

Talk about missing the point!!

When I was preparing to work on CAPTAIN MARVEL, one of the things I had to confront was the fact that the DCU was already deep into its darkening, and that the uninspired editorial staff and narrow thinking readers wanted little else. But how could I "darken" Captain Marvel without destroying the very core of the character?

The answer came to me as something of a epiphany: it was not Cap who needed to be "dark". Rather, I should play off the "grim and gritty" template that had become mandatory at DC, and make Cap's home, Fawcett City, the nastiest place on Earth. Cap, Mary, and anyone else I chose to reintroduce would then stand out against the gloom without being sacrificed to it. This thought immediately gave me a tag line for the series:

IN THE CITY OF ULTIMATE DARKNESS, THERE IS A NEW LIGHT!

As it happened, DC double-crossed me (not for the first time), and reneged on their part of the deal. (They had agreed I could treat Cap as "separate" from the rest of DC, without actually invoking parallel universes. But only two pages into the first issue I was informed Captain Marvel "had to be" in the JLA. So, sadly, I downed tools and walked away.)

Of course, at the Nu Decline of Superstars, being faithful to the core of the characters is not even a consideration.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 12  

Do kids read comics now?

I've stated before that superhero comics specifically tends to cater to an aging demographic. The friends I know with kids who like comics are themselves big comic book fans and actively introduced their kids to them.

My parents, though, weren't into comics. I discovered superheroes through Saturday morning cartoons* and spinner racks. My parents enabled my hobby but did not introduce me to it.

*This reminds me that even the TV and movies based on superheroes these days are much darker than they were when I was a kid. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN movie rather than SPIDER-MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS. The Nolan BATMAN films rather than the live-action TV series from the '60s. And even SMALLVILLE instead of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version