Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Elements for a good costume design (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 1  

You know JB, I can't help but to wonder how different the history to date of the X-Men would have been had you been both writer and artist on "Uncanny" from #108 on.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 2  

Because Cyclops was my favorite of the X-Men and one of my favorite characters of all, I chose to interpret his thoughts and words as a hint that somehow the Phoenix was not Jean, and that Storm had just lashed out at him completely misunderstanding what Scott himself was struggling to comprehend. I thought that we'd see ultimately that his instincts were right and that Ororo's assumptions here were way off base. Oh well, I was just reading what I wanted to read -- that became clear enough eventually, sad to say.

It's interesting looking back on this now how Chris Claremont added one little ellipsis to help create a sour mood that already put Storm on the defensive, as he chose to write the scene. Disturbing you? "Not... really."
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 3  

You know JB, I can't help but to wonder how different the history to date of the X-Men would have been had you been both writer and artist on "Uncanny" from #108 on.

••

Book would probably have been cancelled shortly thereafter.

I've said it a hundred times, and not once have I been kidding, that given the sharp rise in sales that started AFTER I left, it can only be assumed the readers WANTED what Chris was giving them, and I was only holding him back.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
Book would probably have been cancelled shortly thereafter

Considering what you later did on your Fantastic Four run, I doubt that your X-Men would have been axed.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 5  

Book would probably have been cancelled shortly thereafter

++

Considering what you later did on your Fantastic Four run, I doubt that your X-Men would have been axed.

••

Context, context, context. The John Byrne who would have taken over X-MEN with 108 was not the same John Byrne who took over FF with 232. Plus, X-MEN was one step ahead of the cancelation ax virtually the whole time Chris and I were working on it together. The very definition of a "cult book". FF, altho that later version of me was able to bump the sales by some 90,000, was already on a much healthier footing when I arrived.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 6  

X-MEN was one step ahead of the cancellation ax virtually the whole time Chris and I were working on it together.

I remember introducing X-MEN to several friends who were by no means casual readers -- they were, indeed, much more wide-ranging in their reading and collecting. It was just something utterly off their radar. I only stumbled onto the "All-New" because I'd been a fan of the original comicbook. Must be nearly impossible for many to imagine that in the 70s X-MEN was far from the most popular mag.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 7  

This thread is drifting a LOOOOONG way from it's subject, isn't it?

Over the years, I have been surprised and disappointed by how many people, fans and pros alike, I have encountered who have "no sense of history". Who think comics have always been in whatever shape they were when those people started reading.

Todd McFarlane chiding Kirby and Ditko for not creating something like Image "back when they were hot", for example -- without any apparent awareness that the Direct Sales Market, the thing that made Image possible, didn't exist during the period to which he was referring.

Terry Austin once told me of actually getting into an argument with an assistant editor, up at Marvel, who insisted that the pages had NEVER had lettering on them. Not in the entire history of the industry! (Which I guess makes all the Silver Age pages decorating my Studio walls FORGERIES, since each and every one has lettering on it!)

The popularity of various titles and characters falls well within this area, of course. It's only natural, I suppose, for some people to assume that a book they like is a book EVERYBODY likes. Their favorite characters are EVERYBODY'S favorites.

With the X-Books and characters, which have dominated the marketplace for so long -- thirty years or more, now!! -- it's not surprising that some would think that's the position they've always held. Especially in an environment in which (also depressing) so many actually RESIST learning the publishing history of the books and companies.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 8  

The pouch discussion reminds me of this:

••

As long as we're off-topic, one of my pet peeves there: acres of space around the character, but the second balloon is place ON TOP of him!!

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

Ah, Kip, thanks for the correction.

I obviously haven't been following the series.  I thought the Uncanny X-Men was a title for heroes.  I don't mean to sound snarky when I say that.  So, the X-Men, at least those we're seeing on that cover under that title, are now evil?

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 10  

Reminds me of the "too many X-books" argument they used to cancel Mutant X. Doesn't apply today with: All-New X-men, Uncanny X-men, Astonishing X-men, X-Treme X-men, Ultimate X-men, X-men, Uncanny X-Force, Cable and X-Force, X-Factor, Wolverine, Savage Wolverine, Wolverine MAX...

Greg Friedman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 11  

Cyclops, while a bit moody at times, was always honest and noble.  A real hero and leader.  Much like Captain America.   

I agree with this and myself prefer the "strait-laced" Cyclops as I was introduced to him (and the X-Men) by the 90s cartoon.

But I can kind of go along with a darker Cyclops because I always sensed a certain rigidity about Scott.  He was the first X-Man and threw himself into it completely in devotion to Xavier's dream.  He was, as his name suggests, one-sighted to a fault.  It's like he was trying to fulfill another man's vision while running from his own past.  At a certain point, the wheel will come off to some degree.

Therefore, I could see Scott at a certain point get somewhat "bent" from such rigidity and always following orders especially when others around him are less than perfect.  I would never see him as a "bad ass" or a "dick" though.

Edited by Greg Friedman on 20 January 2013 at 12:59pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 12  

Back on the original topic, I really like Nova's costume, it's perfect for a Super-Hero who gets his powers and costume from an alien.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version