Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Elements for a good costume design (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 4:11am | IP Logged | 1  

I left out Iceman because his appearance wasn't really a costume but rather an icy or early on snowy coating.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 2  

Great work, Michael! You did leave out Jean's Jim Lee/cartoon/action figure era costume though. Talk about a busy and pointless costume.
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 3  

In the new (one of the new) Wolverine title, Frank Cho has Wolverine put something in one of his pouches. The conversation with Shanna the She-Devil is something to the effect of "Oh, you really use those?". I assume that Cho is having fun at the expense of the design but a small part of me wouldn't be suprised if an editor asked him to justify the pouches.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 4  

Yeah, I really left that one out because she was no longer going by "Marvel Girl" at that point, just calling herself Jean Grey.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 5  

The "big X" costumes fail mostly because there are very few artists who can really pull them off. The X shape presents a number of problems when applied to a human torso, especially if that torso is then expected to twist and turn and move in any realistic sort of way.

Jean's versions of this motif, show above, are the most obvious demonstrations of its failings. Wrapping the X over the breasts, instead of passing it between them, is simply silly. A contrivance I can only imagine would actually make the costumes HARDER to draw from most angles.

"Most angles" is a key point in costume design. All too often artists design costumes based on OHOTMU style model sheets -- front, back, side. They don't think about how the outfit is going to look in motion, especially if it's a design they don't expect to have to actually draw on a regular basis. This is perhaps the Number One reason why one artist should not be assigned to "redesign" a whole line.

(Curiously enough, I have from time to time experienced a kind of "flip side" to the above -- a costume "appears" in my head, and then I discover I cannot translate it to the page. My mental "camera" is slipping and sliding around to make elements work that really don't.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 6  

In the new (one of the new) Wolverine title, Frank Cho has Wolverine put something in one of his pouches. The conversation with Shanna the She-Devil is something to the effect of "Oh, you really use those?". I assume that Cho is having fun at the expense of the design but a small part of me wouldn't be suprised if an editor asked him to justify the pouches.

••

Self-referential fanwank.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 7  

The "big X" costumes fail mostly because there are very few artists who can really pull them off.

I remember Cyclops and Angel not having the big X in the OHOTMU prior to the X-Factor comic being released. It looked as if they were going to have Angel's costume minus the halo. Of course, when the first issue came out they had the X on their costumes. I remember thinking that they actually made the costumes look sloppy for some reason.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 8  

I dunno why, but I always liked the Walt Simonson designed blue and white X-Factor costume for Cyclops. To me, it just seemed like it suited him (no pun intended). Heck, that costume design still pops into my head for him to this day.

And for Marvel Girl....I'm all about the green mini-skirt costume! That is sexy but not slutty.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 9  

It's hard to beat those original black and yellow school uniforms!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 10  

It's hard to beat those original black and yellow school uniforms!

••

This seems to me to be true of about 99% of costume designs. The lightning strikes once, and any attempt to monkey with the result is all too often less than successful.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 11  

Just like when people think Gil Kane or Infantino need their help!

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 12  

I like the school uniforms, but other than the Angel, I prefer the graduation uniforms. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version