Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: FIRST CONTACT EVER WITH JOHN BYRNE ART (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 1  

The first time I saw John Byrne art was on Wolverine. I was in 4th grade and a friend gave me his comics to read because he knew I liked to draw. He wanted me to draw him Wolverine based on those issues. I don't think I owned any comics Byrne drew until I got a reprint of Sabretooth's first appearance in Iron Fist. I loved looking at that comic.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 2  

My first Byrne comic has to be a Team Up issue, probably the Yellow Jacket/Wasp one. It was years later before I was aware that a specific person drew an issue. I first saw the X-Men around X-Men 150. Strange, until then, I never even knew of the book and I've been reading comics since '75. An older friend introduced me to the X-Men and his favorite artist John Byrne. I spent the rest of the next five or so years trying to buy the Byrne back issues they where expensive (around $5 each so it took a long time). 

I swear that the markets around town didn't carry X-men, I know I wouldn't have been able to pass up those killer covers if I saw them on the spinner rack. My buddy also introduced Micheal Golden to me via Avengers Annual 10...wow that was some great art!

Edited by Steve Gumm on 06 January 2013 at 3:34pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 3  

Bit late to the party, the first thing I read was Danger Unlimited and it was maybe a year after that series I stopped reading comics on a regular basis. It was about 2007 that I started getting interested in comics again and I recalled how much I had enjoyed JB's work on this series, by this point so much more stuff was being reprinted I was able to pick up the FF Visionaries and became hooked again.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 4  

Probably reading my cousin's copy of UXM  137. That would've been before I started collecing myself. First one I ever owned was probably FF 256/257 that were in those 3-pack bags of comics or IRON FIST 15 which I got at the flea market for a dime. All of those came about around the same time.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

Summer of '78 I was in a drug store looking for comics. I had become disenchanted with DC Comics, which I had been buying casually since the 60s and extremely actively since 1974, and was opening myself to what Marvel was putting out.

This cover nearly leapt off of the spinner rack:

I knew nothing of these characters (aside from Cyclops and Prof X; it wasn't until I read thru the issue a couple of times that I realized Jean was Marvel Girl and Hank was the Beast from the Thomas/Adams X-Men comics I had read years earlier) but I wanted to know more.

Just a week or so later the next issue appeared on the same spinner rack, and I was hooked on JB, X-Men, and was convinced that maybe I should look into what else Marvel was publishing.

This also told me what Terry Austin was up to! I was a huge fan of his work on DC comics such as Detective on Marshall Rogers pencils, and a few of his other stories there, but he had disappeared from DC. It looked like he found something else to keep him busy!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 6  

The first issue I remember picking up and seeing his art for the first time is X-men #137. 

Not a bad start, huh?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

Fantastic Four #232. I had no idea who Diablo was(or who John Byrne was either)but that cover was pure awesome.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 8  

It must have been Alpha Flight #1 which was reprinted as B&W back-up stories for the UK reprints of Secret Wars back in 1985.

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 11:54pm | IP Logged | 9  

I was getting on a plane to go to my grandmother's house in rural Mississippi. I didn't have anything to read, so I bought X-Men #136 off of the spinner rack. I read it over and over and over again. A month later, when I arrived in Houston from Jackson, I went straight from the airplane to the gift shop and bought #137. Those were my first issues of X-Men. I have every issue since... and every issue that Byrne has done since. That was a long month. JB always talks about how every issue is someone's first, and I can't think of a better example of how, in the middle of an incredibly complicated storyline, I felt like I knew everything I NEEDED to know, but not much more. Perfection. Thanks, JB.

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

BTW, that was the first issue in which it occurred to me that someone was actually making the comic. I had to know who it was.

Scott Morrissey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2013 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 11  

Uncanny X-Men 142.

Not long after I bought a copy of Fantastic Four 236.

Have to say I didn't follow artists at the time, was 10 at the time. Do remember loving both stories, and being impressed by the art. Was a good time to start reading comics.

Never got to read Uncanny X-Men 141 for several years after buying 142. However didn't miss too much because of the recaps in the issue. Not a bad issue for my introduction to the X-Men.

Fantastic Four 236 is and always will be my favourite FF issue. Perfect introduction to the comic.

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2013 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 12  

I have two different answers.  I read various JB books for years without knowing I was doing it. But I didn't recgnize his style as his style till Avengers West Coast #51. I picked it up because I followed Iron Man over to the book. I was a big fan at the time with Armor Wars and such. But it was JB's way of drawing technology that I stood out to me first and that I began noticing in other books.  And I really enjoyed it.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version