Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Rejected Cover Question (Ditko vs Kirby!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 1  

I like the Ditko AF 15 cover better...but not a TON better.

I like the Ditko ASM #10 cover a TON better. And like others here, I have no idea why they went with the more boring Kirby version. The Ditko version is amazing!

And something that jumps out to me on that cover that has always bugged me about most Kirby Spider-Man renderings I've seen...he gets the webbing wrong! Kirby always seemed to have trouble drawing Spider-Man's costume correctly.

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 2  

Regarding the "Amazing Spider-Man" #10 cover; The Spider-Man figure is definitely Kirby, but The Enforcers appear to me to have been drawn by Ditko. He certainly inked the drawings, at the least, but they also have his "body language."
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 3  

Jason makes mention of something that makes sense in why they went with the Kirby cover. Kirby's does seem to fit better in tone and color with the previous covers of that series. I like that theory. Now if only Stan could "remember" or if I can find a Ditko essay that may talk about such a thing.

No one can convince me that the change in covers for issue ten wasn't a complete fail.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 4  

I still can't decide between the AF 15s, but with the ASM 10 the Ditko gets my vote easily! 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 5  

Kirby: iconical cover, no doubt. The hero is perfectly visible, the reader's eye isn't overcome by too many details. The thing I liked the more about this cover when I was a kid was that people saw Spider-Man, but he seemed far from them, like a dream or a ghost. Everyone sees him, noone is near enough to see him well.

Ditko: quite dynamic cover. It looks like you can imagine people's astonishment in seeing this Spider-Man guy descending among them to catch the other man. A very rapid action.

Which one is better? or an introducing issue, I'd go with Kirby. Talking about the artwork alone, Ditko wins.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 6  

I think Ditko's feels more energetic, and Kirby's more iconic. Two things the Kirby cover does: it moves the guy Spider-man is carrying to the other arm, giving us a full-body of the main character, and it moves the camera down, which moves the characters up, putting them more in the spotlight.

One thing I think about: Kirby's is a re-drawing of the Ditko cover—I wonder what he would have drawn if he hadn't seen that first? Without the Ditko cover, the Kirby one would not exist, right?

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 7  

I can understand why the Amazing Fantasy #15 cover was changed from Ditko to Kirby, to provide the bold introduction of a new character.

But why in the world did they switch out the Amazing Spider-Man #10 cover?  I just don't get it, at all.

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 8  

Its hard to dismiss the comfortable familiarity with the Kirby cover that gives it an edge.

I think the the Kirby cover makes more dramatic "sense." 
The two biggest things that the Kirby cover has going for it to my eye is a more dramatic pov and a clear emphasis on the figure of Spider-man.

Kirby's subsequent drawings of Spider-man always seemed so off that I would imagine that the "magic" of Spiderman looking like Spider-man on AF 15 is helped greatly by the Ditko inks.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 9  

I prefer the Kirby covers in both instances. Sometimes less is more.
My feeling, as well.  As nice as that startled window dweller looks in AF 15, my first sense was that Spidey is about to collide with the building, which itself seems to be at a slightly odd, forced angle in relation to the street.

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 10  

I prefer the Kirby cover.  It is more dramatic and mysterious.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

Paul Greer echoed my opinion - Kirby for AF#15, Ditko for ASM#10 - by a long shot.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

I can't find the piece online right now, but I remember Ditko has written that his intention (with his cover for AF #15) was to put the reader in Spider-Man's position, flying through the sky and looking down at the people below.  KIrby's cover instead gives us the crowd's perspective, looking up at Spider-Man from below.  Ditko felt that the change was a mistake and that excitement was lost by putting the reader "on the ground" rather than swinging with Spidey.  I tend to agree with him. 

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version