Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Digital vs Print (was Kirby’s Fourth World Omnibus’) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 1  

I've got so much stuff I need to get rid of. I've got books stashed everywhere.

I resisted the digital thing for a while on all fronts, but I've gotten to the point where I pretty much refuse to buy any book, movie, TV series, or comic that isn't digital, because there's simply no where else for me to put the stuff.

Back to Top profile | search

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 2  

I've been seriously contemplating the logistics of moving most of my DVD collection to digital.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

I can certainly understand wanting as little clutter around as possible
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Clifford Boudreaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

Every year or so, I go through my DVDs and get rid of the ones I know I will never, ever watch again and send them to my dad (who trades them at a pawn shop). I send him more than half of my collection every time.

I'm quite tempted to pack up the lot of them and ship them off, but I'm still hanging on to the Buffy, Angel, Battlestar, and Who.

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged | 5  

I've moved over to buying a lot of things digitally in the last year, and I've also found the trade off in losing the tactile feeling of the printed version to be minimal to the benefits I get from owning things digitally. I still get to read a great yarn and enjoy the art every bit as much. 

JB, I am surprised you haven't embraced the digital format more–the ability to side step those retailers that have vexed you over the years, and sell directly to customers could be a great benefit.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Phillip
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2012 at 2:10am | IP Logged | 6  

Digital IS the new format for comics if they are going to continue as a form of entertainment.

Arguing your dislike for the format by claiming it is inferior to the old printed format is akin to arguing taking a ship from England to New York versus a plane. 

Both modes have their pros and cons, but the newer technology is superior.

I fully expect the printed monthlies to be gone within 10 years replaced by digital only editions.  Trade collections available for those still wanting printed versions.

The audience needs to be groomed for digital -- then the plug will be pulled slowly on monthly print editions.

I wonder what comic will have the prestige of being the "LAST" Marvel monthly printed (so forth for DC etc).

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2012 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 7  

I can't imagine my weekly visit(s) to the comic shop being replaced by downloading a new comic on a piece of technology. I enjoy the interaction with other people at the shop and discussing what's going on, not only in the comics we read but what's also going on in our lives.

Personally, I have no problem with comic book apps but don't punish those of us who aren't interested by taking the alternative away.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2012 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 8  

Personally, I have no problem with comic book apps but don't punish those of us who aren't interested by taking the alternative away.

It wouldn't be a punishment, it would be a financial decision....so keep buying those print editions, folks!  I don't want them to go away!!!!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 December 2012 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 9  

Digital IS the new format for comics if they are going to continue as a form of entertainment.

Arguing your dislike for the format by claiming it is inferior to the old printed format is akin to arguing taking a ship from England to New York versus a plane.

••

What if someone happens to LIKE ocean voyages? Are you saying they should not be allowed to take them, because YOU prefer to fly?

If you want to sling analogies, you are going to need to THINK about them a whole lot more.

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2012 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 10  

I think it is a good analogy. I don't see him as saying people couldn't take an ocean voyage or couldn't have print comics. But ocean voyages are slower and more costly, just as print versus digital.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2012 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 11  

Trevor Phillip wrote:
I fully expect the printed monthlies to be gone within 10 years replaced by digital only editions.

I don't agree with that expectation or prediction. People like tangible goods and nostalgia is a much more powerful force than you give it credit. I see market share dwindling, but printed monthlies won't be gone. With the extreme penetration of digital sound and music both in multiple formats and the proliferation of technology for distributing and trading music files we still see vinyl albums produced and sold each year. Digital tape, CD and MP3 still haven't killed vinyl.

20 years of vinyl sales

Clifford Boudreaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2012 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 12  

What if someone happens to LIKE ocean voyages? Are you saying they should not be allowed to take them, because YOU prefer to fly?

If there's a large enough market for it, it will continue. If there's not, it won't.

Vinyl albums are still be sold today because there are just enough audiophiles who prefer to listen to analog music.

8-tracks and cassettes are already been replaced by competing formats and it looks like CDs won't be around much longer.

Same thing is happening on the video front with DVD-rental companies being chewed up and spit out by on-demand digital services. Increasingly, independent movies are being released theatrically and digitally on the same day. The wait time between theatrical and digital release is rapidly shrinking as well.

Printed books lose more and more ground to e-books every year, which has already fundamentally altered the way books are sold and put a lot of traditional book sellers out of business.

And the comic industry is going to complete restructure the way it does business, too. Doesn't matter what you might personally prefer, doesn't matter what analogies you use, doesn't matter what science fiction stories you site... this is what has been happening for the better part of a decade.

And the reason it's happening is because it's a much more efficient way of buying and selling comics. Nothing is ever sold out. There's no over-weight comic snob behind a counter refusing to order something for you. Because there's no printing costs, digital versions are often significantly cheaper than printed versions.

And for as little as $200, you can buy a tablet with a screen large enough to read a comic page with no alterations (although zoomable on demand), which can also use to read books, watch TV/movies, listen to music, play games, surf the internet, use as a remote control for you computer, compose sonnets, and whatever else you want it to do.

It's a multi-faceted digital platform and if you own one, Amazon is already trying to tempt you with offers of comic collections at half the price of their printed counterparts. That's what happened to me. I didn't plan on reading comics on it, it just sort of happened. One day, I decided to check one out, realized I had no problem reading it at full-page (it reminds me of the old digest reprints), and I was instantly hooked.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version