Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Digital vs Print (was Kirby’s Fourth World Omnibus’) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

Interesting point Thom.  I am strange perhaps but I miss the huge movie theaters that we used to have with the giant screens - they were like palaces and an experience like no other.  The small ones of today just don't cut it for me.  Sitting in my home watching a movie allows me to lounge in my pajamas and pause the movie for refreshments etc. but this can't begin to compare to a trip to the movies to see the original Planet of the Apes on a gigantic screen.  The sights and sounds, the candy and popcorn, the people - these are all part of the experience and it can't be compared to sitting in a living room with family or friends or alone.

I doubt anyone is "refusing" to watch movies at home but I feel that is the wrong choice of word.  

How inconvenient is it to get dressed and drive to a theater for most people?  I can't believe it is very inconvenient at all.  

Edited by Brennan Voboril on 30 December 2012 at 1:40pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 2  

Did the makers of BEN HUR, SPARTACUS, GONE WITH THE WIND or LAWRENCE OF ARABIA intend for their movies to be viewed on much smaller screens in a person's living room?

••

Indeed they did not. But you're arguing against your own case.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

How inconvenient is it to get dressed and drive to a theater for most people? I can't believe it is very inconvenient at all.

••

The "inconvenience" runs far beyond "getting dressed" and "driv(ing) to a theater". Once AT the theater, one must put up with people who clearly have no idea how to BEHAVE in a theater. People who think they are in their living rooms, and talk loudly, yammer on their cell phones, let their kids run riot (often at movies where those kids should not even be). At least they can't SMOKE any more. That, as much as any of the rest, kept me away from many a movie in the theater.

Now, when I want to see a film "as intended", I often go to a Wednesday matinee, where it's pretty much a private showing.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 4  

Anyone know if the Kamandi Omnibus editions will be out in trade
paperback?

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

Indeed they did not. But you're arguing against your own case.

I am not.  My attitude towards movies and comic books are consistent.  With apologies the creators' intentions, I will watch these films in whatever format I consider most convenient and desirable.

Since you feel that comic books are not done their due respect in digital format, I assume you are only watching films in the theater experience their makers intended?  If not, it seems to me that you are the one arguing against your own case.  Why should comics be given a treatment that you don't think films deserve?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB that's all true enough.  Today it can be a wild west sort of environment at a movie.  It's too bad.  

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 7  

Another advantage of real comics:  you can't get your iPad
autographed at a comic con!

I've read of someone doing just that.

I somehow doubt that will work for many people or for very long.

================
You know, I actually debate, for about half a second mind you, having
artists and celebrities sign a screen on my sketch app.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Clifford Boudreaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 8  

Just recently I started reading some Doctor Who comics, which I purchased for my Kindle Fire. Between deciding I wanted to buy it and starting to read it was a couple of minutes, most of which was spent deciding which one I wanted to buy.

Had I decided to buy it at a shop, I would have had to go down to one and hope they had one in stock. A very iffy proposition, which assumes the owner had bothered to order it in the first place.

Had I ordered a collection from Amazon, I would have had to wait at least two days for it to come in.

Instead, IDW had my money for three volumes before the night was through.

So, should I continue to support a Direct Market that often does not value my business by not ordering stuff I want to buy? Should I wait for the trade and order it on-line? Or should I buy Day One digital?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

All depends on how instant gratification you are.  I have no problem waiting for pretty much anything.  I don't need to read a comic or a book the instant the notion pops into my head.  I can certainly wait two days for it to arrive on my doorstep from Amazon because I've got more than enough other things to occupy my time. I can also wait until I email my LCS to see if they have what I want or until such a time as what I want is collected in trade. For others, that's not the case or they just have to have it the instant they realize they want it.  Same applies with me for movies and television.  Not saying anyone here is, just want to qualify that before something thinks that I am, but I don't feel the need to illegally download a film simply because I can't get off my ass to get to a movie theatre or don't want to pay the price for Netflix or Hulu if I want to watch a television series.  

As far as this whole debate about digital, do what works for you and don't worry about what works for other people.  I like the tactile experience, but I certainly am not going to try and convince someone who has already made the switch to digital that my way is better just as they won't be able to convince me that it isn't cool when I walk into the MattCave and see a ton of shelves lined with books that I love.  I just happen to like it more and will continue to do it the way I personally like it until such a time as it doesn't make sense anymore to do so.  

Clifford Boudreaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 10  

To be honest, I wait for the digital trade.

If I'm in the mood for a comic, I cruise the Amazon listings and buy one for my Kindle. No muss, no fuss.

I have no problem going out and enjoying something, but most trips to a comic shop are just a lot of bother for no pay-off. I've long ago given up showing up weekly, so I'm 100% at the mercy of the comic shop owners. Finding anything I want at a shop is a bit of a miracle.

Used to buy trades off of Amazon, but I ran out of places to put them ages ago.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

Eh.  I email my LCS.  He either tells me he has it or he tells me that he doesn't and then orders it for me.  When I'm in the neighborhood, I swing by.  That may be the same week or it may be a month later.  I really don't sweat it and neither does he because it's a guaranteed sale.  Again, all depends on what you like, your relationship or lack thereof with your LCS and how long (long often being relative because two days for Amazon Prime ain't long for me) that you're willing to wait. 

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 12  

The instant gratification aspect isn't a big deal to me; Amazon delivers packages so fast, sometimes I feel like they're on my doorstep faster than my email confirmation is received.

The de-cluttering, organization, and having everything at my finger tips is what sold me on digital.  Before I stopped reading comics about a decade ago, I had hit the point where I was throwing them away as soon as I was done reading; I just couldn't take another pile or box of comics lingering around my house.

I contemplated re-buying all of my favorite comics as collected form, but I don't have the space for them.  My two bookshelves are stuffed to overflowing.  I swear sometimes I hear them moan in the middle of the night.  Digital was the answer I was looking for.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version