Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Digital vs Print (was Kirby’s Fourth World Omnibus’) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 1  

You could sit in a boring cubical reading all your comics on your iPad or you could lounge in a library surrounded by books and the smell of newsprint holding a great book in your hands...I know what I would choose!

Talk about stacking the deck to make your point.  The options are a cubicle for digital, or lounging in a library for a real book?  I would imagine neither is a particularly common choice.  I do almost all of my reading outside in the sun and fresh air, when weather permits.  Sure I could do that with non-digtal too -- carrying a book, and a few comics, and maybe a couple magazines, and a CD player.  Or I could just grab my tablet and have all of them.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Clifford Boudreaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'm happily converting as much as possible to digital. It's just a much more convienent way to read books and comics.

What little is lost in the translation is easily made up by all the pros. Certainly my next move will be easier on my back without as many books and bookcases to move.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

Another advantage of real comics:  you can't get your iPad autographed at a comic con!

I've read of someone doing just that.

I somehow doubt that will work for many people or for very long.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 4  

Talk about stacking the deck to make your point.

Of course I did.  It was my point!  =0)

Seriously though, I just think this is one of those things you can't argue/explain to someone else.  One side will see it as a big deal, the other won't.  Was I "stacking the deck" to make my point? Probably.  Are there people on the pro-digital side of the debate who would say ridiculously (imo) extreme things like the following:

1. No reason to go on vacations, I can search Google Images and see anything I want!
2. No reason to go to a concert, I can sit in a dark closet and listen to my iPad!
3. No reason to go to a theater, I can illegally download a bootleg copy of the film three days before it's released and watch it on my iPhone!

Absolutely the answer is yes.  I know these people and some of the people reading this thread probably do not think these examples are extreme by any means.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

Someone should add "digital vs print" in parenthesis to the title of this thread.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 6  

The only person bringing outlandish claims into this thread is you, to counter an argument no one here has made.

Do you think no person has ever thought, "No need to go to Paris -- I read all about it in a book!"

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 7  

I don't understand why you invalidate my points, Thom.

Anyway, since this is the particular book that sparked the debate I thought I would share the inside cover to my copy of the FOURTH WORLD OMNIBUS vol. 4:

Signed by Greg Theakston (with a Darkseid sketch), Mark Evanier and Mike Royer.  Try to get that on the digital version!

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 8  

I don't understand why you invalidate my points, Thom.

I'm sorry, but your points have little to do with the discussion.  People who think a "virtual" experience is the same as a real experience is far older than digital content.  Is that not one of the hallmarks of the stereotypical "book worm" -- thinking that reading about something is just as good as doing it?  Those people who think looking at a location via Google is the same as visiting it are of the same ilk, and it has nothing to do with the format of the content.

+++

Try to get that on the digital version!

No desire for it.  I never have been a collector.  The value of a book is solely the pleasure it gives me when I read it.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

Those people who think looking at a location via Google is the same as visiting it are of the same ilk, and it has nothing to do with the format of the content.

Thanks for the explanation.  There's where we differ.  I think it does have to do with the format of the content.  Seems like a direct parallel to me.  If you don't see it that way it's like I was saying up above: people just aren't going to see eye to eye on these sort of debates.  What's plain as day to person A, can't be seen by person B.

Clifford Boudreaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 10  

Pros and cons to both.

Can you go comic shopping while waiting for a bus? Can you read any book from your collection while at the beach? Can you re-read your favorite run on a cross-country flight and keep it in your coat pocket?

The big, big pro of digital is convenience. Sort of like how people often prefer to watch movies at home on a smaller screen and without surround sound. There's a trade-off involved and one many, many people are eager to make.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 11  

There's room in my life for both digital and print formats. However, there's
not much room individual comic books in my house any longer, so I've taken
to trading them in for store credit--except for the stuff I really want to keep-
-and getting trades and hardcovers I want. In fact, I will be getting The John
Byrne Fantastic Four Artist Edition because of this exchange.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 12  

Sort of like how people often prefer to watch movies at home on a smaller screen

An apt comparison.  Did the makers of BEN HUR, SPARTACUS, GONE WITH THE WIND or LAWRENCE OF ARABIA intend for their movies to be viewed on much smaller screens in a person's living room?  I'll go out on a limb here and say that no one in this thread is refusing to watch movies on TV, despite not being the intended venue or experience.

Like the switch to digital, the move from big screen theater to smaller screen TV is a trade off of some of the original experience in favor of convenience.

Edited by Thom Price on 29 December 2012 at 5:19pm

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version