Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Digital vs Print (was Kirby’s Fourth World Omnibus’) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 1  

The omnibus editions at least present them in a format akin to the one for which Kirby created them.

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Too true. I've been on the fence (digital or paper) as well, up until this point.

If anyone had the chance to ask Jack Kirby, I think his answer would be pretty self-evident.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 2  

I get buying monthlies in electronic format. Especially with so many
reboots and relaunches. I was one of the first on this forum to spew
love for the electronic format. Then Marvel and DC upgraded there
apps and blew out what I had purchased. Good money gone forever.
These aren't monthlies. As a comic fan, these are treasures that
should be purchased in book form.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 1:30am | IP Logged | 3  

I decided to order the trade paperback versions over at CheapGraphicNovels. I got all four, plus shipping and insurance, for under 80 bucks. I was going to get the hardcover editions, but I find that softcover volumes are easier to hold and read comfortably. Plus, the last volume of Kirby's Fourth World in HC seems to be out of print everywhere. It's been a good while since I read a comic in good old paper format, so I'm looking forward to it. I've had my black and white New Gods trade for years and I'm looking forward to finally reading the entire epic in glorious color. 
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 2:04am | IP Logged | 4  

I think you made a good decision Robert. Enjoy!

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 5  

I would, without hesitation, suggest getting the
hardcovers. I love my iPad for many things, but it didn't
turn out to be the digital comic solution I had hoped it
would, mainly for a reason already mentioned here a couple
of times - the double page spread. Now, for comics that
are eventually produced specifically with digital
publication in mind, it'll be great, but for these older
collections I'd still go hard copy all the way.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 6  

And if you drop a comicbook, the pages don't go blank.

A digital copy will never crease or rip or fade.

••

Creased, ripped, and faded, comics can still be READ.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 7  

You won't regret it, Robert! My wife bought me the first two when we were dating and she still can't believe that those are two of my all-time favorite gifts from her.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 8  

JB:  "Creased, ripped, and faded, comics can still be READ."

That's the way I like them - a weathered comic book has not just survived repeated readings, it has avoided being sold off or thrown away during various purges I have had over the years.   And of course, our comic books from childhood were threatened by a roving gang of thugs and hoodlums called "Mothers".

I like the tactile experience of a book.  I understand reading text on a screen - if it is just about the words, I like experiencing it in all forms like digital readers and audio books.  But books featuring art are more than the image.  The entire presentation is part of the reading experience.  The size of the book means a lot - it should not be dependent on the size of the device. 

I can't pinpoint why art on paper looks better, but it does.  I know the digital image can recreate the look of a book to a tee, but it can never truly be a book.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 9  

I find myself thinking, again, of the Asimov short story, "The Holmes-Ginsbook Device", about a pair of young scientists who realize that data stored in computers and read on monitor screens can be printed onto folded paper and carried conveniently. Their invention picks up the short form name "book".

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 10  

I have some collections on my iPad via Comixology, but 99.9% of the time I opt for TPB collections.  It's the tactile experience that I enjoy coupled with the layout of pages flowing more smoothly for me than on a digital device.  Double page spreads, unique out of the ordinary panel layouts and the like just don't translate at all to digital.  Given I like the experience every bit as much as I enjoy the story and art, it's hard for me to imagine a time when I would go 100% digital.  

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 11  

a pair of young scientists who realize that data stored in computers and read on monitor screens can be printed onto folded paper and carried conveniently

The point of that story may have been germane when computers filled entire rooms, but now?  I can carry thousands of books in a device smaller than a single physical book.

The loss of the tactile interaction is a downside to digital, and one I can understand many people can't get past.  But for convenience, digital wins hands down.  I would need a U-haul to carry around what I have on my tablet if they were in physical form.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 12  

Point taken but no one carries around their library in such a way. 

I like having a computer or a tablet as much as the next but books can't be replaced with digital.  It is a very different experience.  It reminds me of replacing food with a pill that would give us all the needed nutrients.  You would lose a lot.  This holds true with digital music - many have gone back to LPs for the sound and experience of a large album cover of art and lyric sheets etc that just can't be replaced with a download or even a CD.  Remember the great album art?  The popping of the record as it spun?  I can fit my entire record collection on an iPod but lose something important when I do.  The feel of a book and the look of a book is a singular experience.  I used to wish to have a home large enough to have a library in it of all the great books of humanity (and all my comic books too).  Something about a man sitting down with his smoking jacket, a brandy and his pipe just can't be replaced by sitting down with an iPad. 

That's my two cents. 

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version