Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Digital vs Print (was Kirby’s Fourth World Omnibus’) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 1  

When you buy digitally do you actually own the product? If the platform you purchased your book on goes out of business, do you have to buy the book again? Can you view the material on whatever program you choose?

What I have read about digital makes it sound more like a rental.

Back to Top profile | search

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 2  

DC Omnibus is the way to go.  DC got the look right, not the bright mess of the Archives.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 3  

Bryan - that's exactly what it is, thanks to the DRM platform. And yet new releases are the same exact price of owning the physical version, even though owning the virtual version is really just "virtual owning". That's why I will never "buy" a movie on iTunes, or other similar service. I'm ok with renting in this fashion, though.

That said, I have been buying the latest JB works on Comixology, because I find the allure of instant and guaranteed access too hard to pass up - I just don't have the time anymore to stop at the comic store on my way home the exact day a comic comes out or else it will be sold out (and sometimes I found that they didn't even order any copies of a certain book at all). Yes, there's mail order, but then you're typically paying twice the price for a comic thanks to shipping. But I go into it knowing that I won't truly own what I bought, and that if I really want to do so, I'll have to track down and pay for the physical copy.

BTW JB, I've been curious - does IDW count digital sales as equally as physical sales for the purposes of gauging the success of a title?

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

If you have the space then buy the trades!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

I find it a bit strange that on a board that's comprised of so many "old shool" fans that digital would be as popular as it appears to be. My wife is a big Manga fan and has moved almost exclusively to digital. I tried it on my iPad and I just didn't get the same satisfaction as I do from reading a real comic book.

Maybe if I didn't have a dedicated comic book room in our house I would feel different about clutter, but I love walking in there and seeing boxes and stacks of comics.

Casey

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

I bought the Fourth World Comics as black-and-white trade paperbacks in the late 1990s when I thought that's the only way I'd get to read all of them.  Bought 'em as back issues in the early 2000s since I didn't think I'd ever get to read them in color.  Bought them all over again when the hardcovers came out since I loved the reproduction and the notion of reading them in publication order, *plus* I managed to get the first three of them at half-price through Neal Adams's website, signed by Neal himself. 

Anytime I need a reminder that we're living in the Golden Age of comics reprints, I look over at the four Fourth World hardcovers sitting on my bookshelf.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

When you buy digitally do you actually own the product? If the platform you purchased your book on goes out of business, do you have to buy the book again? Can you view the material on whatever program you choose?

I guess it depends on how you purchase them.  Every digital copy I own is a cbz or cbr file.  These are nothing more than renamed zip and rar files -- just compressed files containing graphic images.  I can view them on any device I own, and have multiple backups of them.  They are also easily converted to other file types.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 8  

Since buying an iPad last year, I have been quite happy to have most of my comic collection in electronic form. It takes a special kind of book to deserve a hard copy acquisition now, a je ne c'est quoi of art, cost, production values, affection and prestige. The Kirby Fourth World books make choosing easy, having enough double spreads that it's worth getting a physical copy. (E-reading's biggest drawback is the awkward presentation of double page spreads.) Plus the art looks great enough, although I've noticed the paper on my hardcovers has started to discolor.

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 9  

Where do you purchase CBZ and CBR files? And what publishers support CBZs and CBRs? 

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 10  

I have all four hardcovers. Pricey, but worth it. Some of the most exciting comics ever made.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 11  

I have the four trade paperbacks and have really enjoyed them; in fact, I
traded in my originals (not a full run) for store credit in order to get them.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 12  

Count me in support for the hardcovers. They are fantastic!

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version