Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12
Topic: Digital vs Print (was Kirby’s Fourth World Omnibus’) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 1  

My dream e-reader would project an opaque high resolution hologram, so it could even accommodate full-page newspaper strips, or IDW Artist Editions.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 2  

DRM only exists to prevent, or to discourage, copying. Removing it is akin to removing annoying tags from mattresses, clothing and pillows. Everyone does it and has done it simply to improve the experience of PERSONAL use. 
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 3  

Not everyone, only those that have no integrity in this matter so don't mind breaking the law because they feel they can get away with it.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 4  

For what it's worth, I have ripped almost my entire DVD collection onto my mobile hard drive.  Those are my DVD's, and I like the ability to quickly open various movies and TV shows with just a few clicks.  Since I keep the hard drive in my backpack when it's not in use, I can watch them anywhere I go without having to lug a drawer full of discs around.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
Not everyone, only those that have no integrity in this matter so don't mind breaking the law because they feel they can get away with it.

I'm sorry, but how is it in any shape or form an issue if I don't give away copies or sell them? Are you telling me that you haven't removed a "do not remove" tag from a mattress? So how do you feel about all those archaic "blue laws" that still exist on the books like how in some states, oral sex is still technically illegal? There are indeed instances where the law does not equate to justice or even rational thought. In those instances, I'll almost always go with justice and reason and take my chances. 

If I buy a DVD I own that DVD (not the intellectual property/copyright itself) and can use it in any way shape or form that I please as long as I do not copy it to give to someone else or copy it an sell it. No corporation has any real ethical right to extend their tentacles beyond this and invade on personal use that does not infringe on their right to make a fair profit. I don't acknowledge such claims and will gladly take my medicine when the mattress tag police bust down my door tonight to give me a good dose of the what for.    

Edited by Robert White on 04 January 2013 at 4:22pm

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2013 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

Don't forget to slap the cuffs on and toss away the key for going 30 in a 25 MPH zone. :D

Seriously, if it isn't for profit what is the big deal with copying one's DVD collection to your own computer drive?  Yeah, it might be illegal but come on.  It isn't like someone who s pirating copies to sell on Manhattan street corners.  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 12
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version