Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Digital vs Print (was Kirby’s Fourth World Omnibus’) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 1  

I'm debating whether or not to go ahead and buy the four recent trades or wait till DC offers them on comixology (which is what I'm using to read comics now). I haven't been able to find any information about WHEN they'll be available digitally. 

Edited by Matt Reed on 31 December 2012 at 10:45am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 2  

If you had the chance to view the Mona Lisa, would you prefer an image on a computer screen to Leonardo's original?

The omnibus editions at least present them in a format akin to the one for which Kirby created them.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 3  

I buy everything -- comics, books, magazines -- digitally at this point.  Whatever is lost in the tactile feeling of holding the item is more than made up for by the lack of clutter around the house.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 4  

I've taken a break from reading trades, since I'm now hooked on digital comics, but I do want to build my trade library up to match what I'm accumulating digitally. I find that when I have the choice between the two, I'm going digital either for convenience or for a cheaper price. For instance, I just bought the Cerberus "High Society" story arc, Jim Aparo's Adventure Comics Aquaman run and JB's Man of Steel, among others, for .99 an issues. That's hard to beat.

The "holy grail" stuff, like Kirby's Fourth World, I want in trade. Not to mention that digital has a long way to go to match what's available in trade. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 5  

I buy everything -- comics, books, magazines -- digitally at this point. Whatever is lost in the tactile feeling of holding the item is more than made up for by the lack of clutter around the house.

••

Would you say the same after watching, say, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA on an iPhone?

Tactile experience is part of reading comics. Many writers and artist, myself included, design the work with the tactile experience in mind. The physical turning of the page, for instance. No digital version can create that effect as it exists in the real world. Nor can viewing pages reduced or, worse, in pieces, match the impact of a full page on paper.

And if you drop a comicbook, the pages don't go blank.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 6  

The main limitation I have with digital comics, to an extent, is eye strain. This is never a factor for me, with proper lighting, when it comes to "tactile" trades and comics. 

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 7  

There are certain things that just have to be on a shelf. I bought the
hardbacks a couple of years ago and don't regret a dime spent. Buy
the trades, sir.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 8  

The omnibus editions at least present them in a format akin to the one for which Kirby created them.

I can't recommend the DC Omnibus format highly enough!  They are beautiful hardcovers with the stories printed on paper that is almost the same as the original comics!  I love them!  The Fourth World series, Ditko's CREEPER and a few others have been produced this way and they are great!

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 9  

I've gone completely digital with the limited things I might pick up...given the over the top resolution on the iPad, I can't complain...similar to Thom, I just can't be bothered with the clutter that comes with the actual books...maybe some day when I expand my real estte footprint.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 10  

Would you say the same after watching, say, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA on an iPhone?

I wouldn't watch LAWRENCE OF ARABIA on a 20 inch TV either. It's about picking the proper display.  My tablet is just fine, however, for an episode of a TV show, and is only slightly smaller than the size of a standard comic book.

The loss of the tactile feel was the hardest thing to adjust to, but when all is said and done the pros far outweigh that single con.  I threw away every comic book I own about 8 years ago, because I got tired of them cluttering up various closets and bookshelves.  I resigned myself to simply never owning them again.  Thanks to digital, I now have close to 3,400 comic books that mercifully take up no space.

+++

And if you drop a comicbook, the pages don't go blank.

A digital copy will never crease or rip or fade.

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 11  

I'm waiting for Comixology for these myself. Since I made the switch, I have found myself buying and reading more comics than I have in over a decade. Its so nice to be able to zoom in and appreciate some of the individual panels that catch my attention. Plus, the removal of clutter for the house is outstanding.

Joe Alexander
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 12  

For these editions especially I would recommend the hard copy. One problem I have is that much of modern comics have a glare that my aging eyesight struggles with. I think this is one of several reasons that black and white comics or comics with more muted colors appeal to me now. These Kirby editions, which are printed on something more similar to the old school comics, I found much easier to enjoy.

Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version