Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: Dan Slott gets death threats for ASM#700 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 1  

ROBERT: Doctor Octopus hasn't ever really shown any interest in anything like this, it would make a lot more sense if it had been done with a villain who had some misgivings about his criminal lifestyle or one who has less of an established history.

SER: Agreed. Someone like Electro or the Shocker I could see getting fed up with crime and deciding to live the good life as Spider-Man.

------

It seems to me that the point is that Peter is so inherently good and has such a strong sense of responsibility that his memories would "corrupt" someone as selfish and megalomaniacal as Doctor Octopus. Using a villain who was already on the fence would weaken that point.

••

Altho I consider psychobabble a bad thing in comics, there are elements that need to be considered here.

First, remember that Doctor Octopus is "evil" because he has BRAIN DAMAGE. Before his Atomic Accident™, he was pompous and arrogant, but not actually bad. He was turned that way by actual, physical injury to his brain.

Peter Parker, on the other hand, was a "typical teenager", full of all the angst and envy that goes with that condition, and these were pushed to the fore when he became Spider-Man. His first instincts upon gaining his powers were entirely selfish -- use them to make a million dollars!! This selfishness eventually cost him dearly, and now he is PATHOLOGICALLY DRIVEN to "do the right thing".

These are neither of them particular paragons of mental health!

Back to Top profile | search

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 2  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 3  

Uh, William...?

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 4  

On an iPad you can accidentally hit the post reply button and it will indeed post.......nothing.

On my PC it won't let you.

Brian Skelley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 5  

While death threats over comics isn't a good thing by any stretch, as it was pointed out it's hardly a new thing. I can't help but wonder in this case if it's not being pumped up for the sake of controversy, and keeping the issue being talked about. It's like the question of rape being brought up that's being brought up on a lot of sites. For those who haven't seen it "If Doctor Octopus in Peter Parker's body sleeps with MJ (who thinks she's sleeping with Peter) is it rape?" I've seen Spider-Man's editor on sites all but daring people to ask him about it, just so he can dismiss talking about it, making people wonder why he wanted to be asked about it in the first place.

Personally I didn't care for the comic so much, it just felt forced. I was bothered by another link I was given where the editor said "Stephen Wacker: "We want to do Spider-Man by way of Batman — a little creepier and darker."" To me that defeats the whole point of writing Spider-Man. I expect that this new Spider-Man will have all sorts of gadgets and will be more Dark Knight Returns than the Spider-Man I'd prefer to read.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2012/12/25/amazing-spider -man-700th-issue/1746039/

Edited by Brian Skelley on 29 December 2012 at 11:20am

Stephen Bergstrom
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 6  

Apart from potentially having a cool horror movie moment when MJ realizes that it's Doc Ock in Peter's body, and that her Peter, the man she loves, is "dead," we're likely going to be treated to a "gee, being a hero is hard," type of storyline.

Because Venom: Lethal Protector and the current Scarlet Spider series have done SO well.

JB brought up an excellent point. Otto Octavius was brain-damaged in the accident that fused the arms to him. Now that he's set up shop in an ostensibly non-damaged brain, he ought to be able to look back on his past and say "wow, I was really out of it then."

If nothing else, it might be interesting to see if anything interesting comes of this storyline. I've enjoyed Slott's writing up to this point, so he has a bit of credit as far as I'm concerned.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 7  

I might have given JMS a wedgie after "Sins Past" if the opportunity had presented itself.
-------------------------------------
Would you? He is 6'6. :) I wish people would remember that all the worst parts of SP were forced into the story by JoeQ and JMS was by then just a hired hack wanting off.

Anyway, back on topic, I read #698 and loved it, an almost-perfectly crafted comic book with a great plot twist, clever dialogue and gorgeous art (almost JB-like). #699 and 700 have felt totally superfluous. The only addition appears to be that Ock might now feel a sense of righteousness through sharing Parker's memories. Seems all a bit off. 

What makes me laugh is I CAN see this as a Lee/Ditko tale. #698 was one issue. Great cliffhanger. By the end of the next issue if not before Parker would be back in his own body.

And thus we wouldn't have to face the inevitable fact that at some point Ock in Parker's body is going to sleep with someone that thinks he's Parker, maybe even MJ.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

"If Doctor Octopus in Peter Parker's body sleeps with MJ (who thinks she's sleeping with Peter) is it rape?"

••

Yes.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
Would you? He is 6'6. :) I wish people would remember that all
the worst parts of SP were forced into the story by JoeQ and JMS was
by then just a hired hack wanting off.

Wasn't it JMS' idea to have the "kids" that show-up in the course of
Sins Past be Peter and Gwen's instead of Norman and Gwen's?

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think that's the case--and if Pete and MJ being the parents of a newborn is the sort of thing that ages them too much, the obvious solution is to make Pete the father of twins who are his own age. 

Sigh.

I guess you're bound to have a few stinkers in there when you're telling stories about the same guy a few times a month for 50 years.  And I guess Joe Quesada gets a wedgie for that one, too. 

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 11  

In retrospect, the Clone Saga wasn't that bad.  This is still better than Sins Past.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 12  

the Clone Saga wasn't that bad.

Yes, it was.

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version