Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: Dan Slott gets death threats for ASM#700 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

A new The Amazing Spider-Man #1 in 2014 would be the Marvel NOW
launch, I guess.
Back to Top profile | search

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'm kind of glad to have jumped off the ship 9 years ago with the whole "Planet M/Decimation" crossover story, so this only elicits a bit of a shrug from me.  It used to seem to me that Marvel tried not to be like its "Distinguished Competition" in so many ways.  Not any more.

At some point, they have to sit these boys down and talk sense into them, but death threats aren't the way to do it!  It's a hell of a note when the publicity is given to some crank who decides that he wants to kill the writer for "screwing up" the character in his/her mind.  More people should follow my lead, and just walk away when it gets to be too much for them.

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 3  

Its a terrible storyline...
What possible outcome for Doc Octopus is satisfying? 

Who can identify with someone trying to do good with someone else's identity and with their memories? Why would Doc Octopus bother to be a good guy just because he has Spider-man's body?

Christopher O'Bryant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 4  

Wow. I just read issue #700. Wow. That was awful.

It may not have been the worst comic I've read in my life, but I'd say it was pretty close. The fact I didn't like the story line didn't bother me so much, but the way it was put together... ugh.

Glad I gave up reading Spider-Man ages ago.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 5  

Doctor Octopus hasn't ever really shown any interest in anything like this, it would make a lot more sense if it had been done with a villain who had some misgivings about his criminal lifestyle or one who has less of an established history.

But this just comes across as having an idea for a story and shoehorning the characters into it.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

ROBERT: Doctor Octopus hasn't ever really shown any interest in anything like this, it would make a lot more sense if it had been done with a villain who had some misgivings about his criminal lifestyle or one who has less of an established history.

SER: Agreed. Someone like Electro or the Shocker I could see getting fed up with crime and deciding to live the good life as Spider-Man.

Doctor Octopus, though, is a meglomaniac. He would last about three days before he'd want to take over New York or at least the Avengers.

It's also a fitting acknowledgement of how far off base the creators have taken Spider-Man. During the Lee-Ditko years, the "twist" would be that Doctor Octopus would beg to escape Spider-Man's body and life -- hunted by the police, dead broke and unable to make any real money, and so on. That's part of what makes Spider-Man Spider-Man.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 12:26am | IP Logged | 7  

ROBERT: Doctor Octopus hasn't ever really shown any interest in anything like this, it would make a lot more sense if it had been done with a villain who had some misgivings about his criminal lifestyle or one who has less of an established history.

SER: Agreed. Someone like Electro or the Shocker I could see getting fed up with crime and deciding to live the good life as Spider-Man.

------

It seems to me that the point is that Peter is so inherently good and has such a strong sense of responsibility that his memories would "corrupt" someone as selfish and megalomaniacal as Doctor Octopus. Using a villain who was already on the fence would weaken that point. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 1:07am | IP Logged | 8  

OK, there are some optimistic fans who will give this new story line a chance. They see it as new and novel, so good for them. But we've sort of already been down this road already with the Symbiote, who later turned into Venom. And I really don't know what the heck Venom added to the Spider-Man mythos. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 29 December 2012 at 1:08am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 9  

Coming from a middle age-ish former reader who gave up new issues back in the 80s and whose love for comics is based on stuff until that time, I think times have changed, for better or more likely worse. I took my daughter to a comic shop as she likes Spidey and wanted issue 700. As we walked around the shop, I showed her loose issues of Spidey from the 60s and into the 80s. So many great covers and stories I still recall vividly. Teaser covers with (!!) word balloons and outrageous situations begging readers to buy them. Comics with cover prices of 12 cents, 15, 20, 25, 40, 60...  The issue I bought today was $7.99. 

Comics are made for adults with disposable income. Adults who want edginess. Adults who want lurid storylines, violence and often feel this "new twist" is better than the old, corny tales written and drawn for kids. Of course many forget the old, corny tales are what hooked them in the first place and certainly what kept the characters going until now. Progress, if you want to call it that, is annoying. But sadly it won't change. Society seems to have gotten dumber and until some writer or artist reboots things with a retro appeal more like what we all pine for, it is what it is. Not our Spidey. Not our Marvel. 

Edgy is not my cup of tea. Edgy for edgy's sake especially. Comics are not meant for me. I can buy old collections on Amazon and flip through the boxes of back issues and recall those terrific covers. At least I have the memories. 

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 10  

I read ASM #700 and it was so bad....

...*It makes the clone saga look great...and that's saying a lot.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 4:10am | IP Logged | 11  

Michael Roberts:

QUOTE:
It seems to me that the point is that Peter is so inherently good and has such a strong sense of responsibility that his memories would "corrupt" someone as selfish and megalomaniacal as Doctor Octopus. Using a villain who was already on the fence would weaken that point.

Right. It's not simply "Oh, he died a hero and now I want to be like him after a lifetime of villany". Peter's mind is somehow "corrupting" Otto's, just like Otto's mind was doing with Peter's (there are some moments in the storyline when Peter "sounds like a villain", and he notices it himself).

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2012 at 4:59am | IP Logged | 12  

Oh, right, this is a lot like the Clone Saga, in that Peter dies and replaced by Not-Peter. 

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version