Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: Dan Slott gets death threats for ASM#700 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 4:18am | IP Logged | 1  

I'm 43, have read ASM since 1974.
I liked Brand New Day, have loved Slott's run, have loved the choices of the artists and the overall tone.
It's going to be different every era, I understand that....he's my favorite hero.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 4:29am | IP Logged | 2  

Spider-Man is currently the one Marvel character I'm still following. He has been my favorite since my kidhood and Amazing Spider-Man is the American title I'm enjoying the more (these days I'm following only Spider-Man and Superman, plus whatever has the John Byrne name in it).

And I love what Dan Slott is doing. Brand new day was to me the rebirth of the character after years of bad stories, I hadn't enjoyed Spider-Man since JB was on Chapter one And Amazing, with some notable exceptions (Paul Jenkins did good stuff in his early Peter Parker issues). 

You don't like the stories? Don't buy them. Don't read them. I see people who hate this run but illegally download the issues in order to comment them on boards. Pure madness. And now death threats. Absurd.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 3  

I can't understand the mentality of some fans.

You know, I'd be peeved if they changed Superman's origin, costume and appearance - turning him into a ten-headed lizard - but I'd simply moan and stop buying the books. There'd be no death threats.
Back to Top profile | search

Scott Morrissey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 4  

Read in a few places that Wolfman and Perez received death threats for killing Terra in the New Teen Titans.

You'd think that the fans just would have enjoyed a great storyline.

Odd how there would be death threats with comic characters. The next writer can always change whatever they please in the long run.

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 5  

Peter Parker is the classical hard luck hero. Under Stan and Steve his hard luck came from having to balance his normal life needs with his "great-power" responsibilities.

Whatever misfortunes Peter experienced occurred under that framework.

Starting with the death of Gwen Stacy, however, spider-writers seem to have stepped out of this framework gone down the path of personally thinking up horrible and sadistics ways to keep our hero down.

This is another such tale where our hero is being tortured by the out of control fantasies of fan-turned pros.

How long before Peter is gang-raped by the Sinister Six? I'd lay down serious money that someone has already written this and filed it away for future reference.

This also calls to mind Peter unmasking publicly, another out-of-the-framework idea, which left Stan nonplussed when he was finally made aware of the fact during a fan questions-and-answers session. Stan's take is that Peter would never do that, no superhero would. Wasn't too long after that that Spider-Man regained anonimity via magic if I recall.

Edited by Jesus Garcia on 19 December 2012 at 6:49am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 6  

This also calls to mind Peter unmasking publicly, another out-of-the-framework idea, which left Stan nonplussed when he was finally made aware of the fact during a fan questions-and-answers session. Stan's take is that Peter would never do that, no superhero would. Wasn't too long after that that Spider-Man regained anonimity via magic if I recall.

••

In an episode of COMMUNITY, Troy has a "secret", and Abed, never entirely in tune with reality, asks him if he's Superman. Troy says no, and Aded asks if he'd tell him if he was. Troy says "Of course! I don't understand why he doesn't tell everybody!"

And therein lies something that has gone very wrong in the way a lot of people perceive superheroes -- sadly including the people writing them these days. The idea that the superhero identity is a way for someone to Do The Right Thing while still being able to live a normal life and, most importantly, protect his loved ones, is lost in a tsunami of runaway egos. Having super powers is now a way to SHOW OFF. "Look how COOL I am!"

Part of the reason for this is the shift in target audience. An important element of superheroes in the beginning was adolescent fantasy. They tapped into the frustrations of tween years, especially that "I they only knew!" fantasy that has played thru many a young mind. Peter Parker was a near perfect embodiment of this -- deliberately so! It's even reflected in the copy on the cover of AMAZING FANTASY 15. But as the target audience has become more "adult" (mostly chronologically), different fantasies have stepped to the fore.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 7  

being able to live a normal life
++++
Is there even a pretense of a normal life for these characters in the MU anymore? Are there any civilian supporting characters?

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 8  

But as a multi-part, multi-year storyline, how what can possibly happen other than Marvel losing what Spider-Man fans they have left? 

I agree with you, Joe. Like Adam, I read some current Marvel titles and I wouldn't have a problem with this being a few issues but I would hope that we'd have the status quo within 6 months or so. As far as the death threats go, it's not suprising. Lots of cowards hide behind Twitter and Facebook accounts. Sad.

Steve Ogden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 9  

I am not a big Spider-Man fan but I always thought that it was the coolest thing in the early* issues of Spider-Man that Flash Thomson idolized Spider-Man but disliked Peter so much.  But, Peter kept it a secret even though he was bullied by Flash. It showed what kind of person Peter Parker was.

*Over the years Marvel has done so much to the character, I do not know if Flash knows who Spider-Man is.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Howard Mackie
Byrne Robotics Security
Armed and Dangerous

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 10  

Really? Death Threats? These folks DO know that these are fictional characters in comic books, right? I really like the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child, and despise the casting of Tom Cruise as the 6'5" 250 pound ex-military cop, but... death threats? 

Well... I hope Dan does not take them too seriously, and that the readers learn to chill the heck out. 

I am shocked that we never received such things when the Clone storyline was unfolding. THAT would have been interesting. 

Howard Mackie
Byrne Robotics Security
Armed and Dangerous

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 11  

Btw... I have read the spoilers now... and see what the readers are reacting to. Again... REALLY? Death threats? It is a COMIC BOOK STORY!! That which can be done, can be UNdone... and probably will. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 12  

Joe Smith wrote:
I liked Brand New Day, have loved Slott's run, have loved the choices of the artists and the overall tone.
It's going to be different every era, I understand that....he's my favorite hero.

He's my favorite hero as well.  Bar none.  I've read the good and the bad up until shortly after "Brand New Day".  After more than 30 years?  I finally stopped.  His was the last title I had any loyalty to where it concerned wanting every issue.  Some post-BND stories were good, more than often they were not, and it finally dawned on me that the character I had read and enjoyed for decades just wasn't present.  Glimpses, perhaps.  Slott seemed to get him the best, at least as far as when I was reading ASM several years ago.  But in the end I didn't get the same enjoyment out of going to the shop and looking for the latest issue.  Too much baggage.  Too little of the character I love gone.  So although he's my all-time favorite character, I feel no obligation to continue buying that which I don't enjoy.  I support in other ways, TPB collections mostly.  Unless there's a seachange at Marvel, I can't see me reversing course and I'm finally fine with that.  

Bringing it back around to the topic at hand, no matter what they did with the character it would never justify threatening another person's life.  Seriously.  The life of a real flesh and blood person over what was or is being done to a fictional character?  Crazy. 

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version