Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: Dan Slott gets death threats for ASM#700 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

I liked Superior Spider-Man #1. Sure we can predict that Peter will be back but at least Slott's not pulling a Captain America where the main character is totally absent from his own book until he re-takes his proper place.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 2  

I liked Superior Spider-Man #1. Sure we can predict that Peter will be back but at least Slott's not pulling a Captain America where the main character is totally absent from his own book until he re-takes his proper place.

••

The methadone approach. Underwhelming, either way.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 3  

"He's dead, Jim" most often meant he really WAS. In comics, tho, the line has become something more like "This time for sure!!" Until he comes back.

I love Guardian and even though Marvel has brought him back (numerous times) I can't bring myself to "believe" it. When Marvel brought Jean Grey back in the Avengers and Fantastic Four, it helped that JB was involved. I probably wouldn't have been sold on it if someone like Bob Layton would have brought her back in the pages of X-Factor #1. JB gave it legitimacy.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 4  

When Marvel brought Jean Grey back in the Avengers and Fantastic Four, it helped that JB was involved. I probably wouldn't have been sold on it if someone like Bob Layton would have brought her back in the pages of X-Factor #1. JB gave it legitimacy.

••

I wish more people thought like you! And not just about MY work! I have grown so weary of fans who don't like some element of a storyline, and so declare they will "pretend" it didn't happen.

No, sorry. It's the writers, artists and editors who are playing "Let's pretend." The readers -- valuable as they are -- are merely invited to WATCH.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 5  

True. Though I still reserve the right to consider Guardian dead - since the explanation was blatantly wrong, as discussed in the commission thread!

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 6  

BTW, CBR is doing a poll about the audiences thought on a romance
between MJ and Superior Spider-Man. With 2400 votes 75% are
steadfast against the idea. I guess the Slott/Wacker damage control
campaign was unsuccessful. Then again Amazing 700 was the fourth
highest selling issue of 2012. I can't think of a better way to lose.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2013 at 12:40am | IP Logged | 7  

The relationship between Marvel and us fans is quasi-abusive. The more they upset us and disappoint us, the more money we throw at them. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2013 at 12:56am | IP Logged | 8  

Superior Spider-man seemed kind of by-the-numbers which is a bit disappointing -- right down to the angel erm... Peter sitting on his shoulder.  

I think this storyline could have played out better with a more gradual change in Peter with the readers getting more accustomed to Peter talking and acting like Otto and then pulling the rug out with the reveal in #698.  Leave everyone wondering how long Otto's been in there and when the switch occurred.  All I can say is 'Peter' calling people clods and dolts and acting like a complete jerk  is getting very old very fast -- and no one around him seems to notice, especially MJ who you think would be the first person to notice Peter if he started acting weird.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 January 2013 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 9  

True. Though I still reserve the right to consider Guardian dead - since the explanation was blatantly wrong, as discussed in the commission thread!

••

That falls more under the heading of an "Untold Tale". All these years later, we're still awaiting the Big Reveal in Guardian's OBVIOUSLY faked "resurrection"!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 January 2013 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 10  

Superior Spider-man seemed kind of by-the-numbers which is a bit disappointing -- right down to the angel erm... Peter sitting on his shoulder.

I think this storyline could have played out better with a more gradual change in Peter with the readers getting more accustomed to Peter talking and acting like Otto and then pulling the rug out with the reveal in #698. Leave everyone wondering how long Otto's been in there and when the switch occurred. All I can say is 'Peter' calling people clods and dolts and acting like a complete jerk is getting very old very fast -- and no one around him seems to notice, especially MJ who you think would be the first person to notice Peter if he started acting weird.

••

Writers, artists and editors have a (bad?) habit of wanting to do "their version" of famous stories. How many times have we seen variants on Dark Phoenix, with other characters, for instance? (And Chris and I unconsciously duplicated the "pattern" of the Thomas/Adams X-MEN during our tenure on the title.)

Reading this thread, I find myself picturing a bunch of people sitting in the Spider-Man office, up at Marvel, asking themselves "How can we do OUR version of 'The Clone Saga'?"

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2013 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 11  

It's my movie star in disguise theory: Guy in the cubicle across from you could possibly pass for Brad Pitt -- if he just changed his hair, stood up straight, and stopped wearing glasses -- but you'd never think, "Oh, I bet that's Brad Pitt in disguise." 

Case in point, when I was a kid my parents used to rent a summer cottage that happened to be next door to a modest cottage owned by Tom Selleck.  Tom would sometimes go into the local town to shop and would wear his Coke bottle glasses, leave his hairpiece off (he's not totally bald but had what my Mom referred to as a 'dimespot'), and wore his normal 'bummy' clothes.  If you were to meet him you would not think "That's Tom Selleck", mostly because you've conditioned yourself to think that if you were to meet someone famous a) that they must look and dress exactly like they do when they appear on TV/film and b) that it must not be them because they wouldn't be hanging around in your neck of the woods.  

So yes, the Clark/Superman thing is generally plausible given the expectations we have on meeting someone famous.  That said, I think if you were to interact with both Clark and Superman on a regular basis you would eventually put two and two together.  It's a different situation than a random meeting in one of the identities though.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2013 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 12  

Writers, artists and editors have a (bad?) habit of wanting to do "their version" of famous stories.

I think you just nailed how I feel about AvX. "Wouldn't it be cool if we took the Dark Phoenix Saga and Secret Wars and mixed them together?!".

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version