Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: Dan Slott gets death threats for ASM#700 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 1  

"Hey if you like the movie, maybe you should check out the comics".

While that would only make sense to rabidly promote interest in the comic books that the movies are based after, it seems to me that Marvel has been exceedingly proactive in what seems to be a mission to prevent new interest in comic books. The bigger money is in the movies.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2013 at 2:49am | IP Logged | 2  

Monte, if anyone who liked the movies tried to check out the comics,
they'd be SO lost. It would wind up being a failed experiment for the
reader. I had a similar problem as a kid with DC. Shortly after the
release of SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, I picked up my first Superman
comic, SUPERMAN FAMILY 190. I thought I was getting a lot of story
for my buck. What I got was a lot of confusion.

BTW, has Dan Slott come out of his panic room yet?

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2013 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 3  

" it seems to me that Marvel has been exceedingly proactive in what seems to be a mission to prevent new interest in comic books."

Could it be that Marvel is so embarrassed about its own comics that they don't want "civilians" to read them? 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 4  

Mike Carlin of all people justified Lois Lane figuring out the Superman/Clark Kent connection because her not knowing made her look "stupid."

I attended a party on Saturday night - and someone I knew looked unrecognizable!

I know this lady and she normally wears casual clothing and has her hair down. Well, for this party, she had dressed up, was wearing glasses (I didn't know she wore glasses) and had done her hair up.

She looked different. Of course, I know there's a difference between a real-life situation like that and comics, but in comics, we are *supposed* to suspend disbelief. If I can, very briefly, glance at a person I know and wonder if it's the same person, then surely, with suspension of disbelief, fans should accept the Clark Kent/Superman disguise.
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 5  

I think that they have an editorial staff that allows the writers to do whatever they want as long as they can put their name on their comics. A Thor movie pushes Thor the character, a Thor comic pushes Jason Aaron the writer.

Brian Skelley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2013 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 6  

Aaron Smith wrote:
When AVENGERS or similar movies have come out, I've seen big displays of related stuff in Walmarts, toystores, other department stores, etc. There are action figures, books, games, pajamas, even sneakers featuring the characters. Where are the comics?

My guess would be the displays you're seeing are paid for by the merchandizing people and have little to do with Marvel themselves.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

She looked different. Of course, I know there's a difference between a
real-life situation like that and comics, but in comics, we are
*supposed* to suspend disbelief. If I can, very briefly, glance at a
person I know and wonder if it's the same person, then surely, with
suspension of disbelief, fans should accept the Clark Kent/Superman
disguise.

====
When, in SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, Chris Reeve as Clark Kent took
off the glasses and stood up straight, while in Lois' apartment...I never
questioned the disguise again.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 8  

Re: The Superior Spider-Man #1... what a lame twist. Slott couldn't wait to reveal the plot device to return to the status quo. Weak writing. Glad i didn't spend money on this.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 9  

STEPHEN: ====
When, in SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, Chris Reeve as Clark Kent took
off the glasses and stood up straight, while in Lois' apartment...I never
questioned the disguise again.

SER: Part of the problem, I think, came when characters started "suspecting" that Clark Kent was Superman. (It's like when someone will tell you a movie has a "twist" not realizing that by telling you there's a twist, you'll go in looking for it and of course, the twist will appear obvious.) Once that demon was out of the bottle, writers started focusing on stories in which Superman is trying to keep his identity secret, which makes it one of the least successful secret identities imaginable, as he's spending several hours a day keeping Lois off the trail.

The disguise should work so brilliantly that no one even suspects that Clark Kent is Superman. It's my movie star in disguise theory: Guy in the cubicle across from you could possibly pass for Brad Pitt -- if he just changed his hair, stood up straight, and stopped wearing glasses -- but you'd never think, "Oh, I bet that's Brad Pitt in disguise." Mostly because you couldn't conceive of someone like Brad Pitt spending his down time in an ordinary job. That's what was so brilliant about Lex Luthor's reaction in "SUPERMAN" 2.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

Charles, without going into an extensive argument, as everyone is entitled to their opinion, I happened to like the "lame twist" ... I wouldn't call it lame at all.

Maybe the only thing I could fault Slott on is how quickly he introduced the plot device, but as someone who was very very dissatified with Amazing Spider-man 700, I'm back on board with Superior Spider-Man.

Most long term fans were never fooled about Peter's supposed demise in Amazing #700.  Marvel and DC have been pulling this "He's dead, Jim" for decades.  It was never going to be "if" Peter Parker's consiousness regains control, but "when".  We still don't know when, but I'm intrigued again with the storyline.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 11  

Part of the problem, I think, came when characters started "suspecting" that Clark Kent was Superman. (It's like when someone will tell you a movie has a "twist" not realizing that by telling you there's a twist, you'll go in looking for it and of course, the twist will appear obvious.) Once that demon was out of the bottle, writers started focusing on stories in which Superman is trying to keep his identity secret, which makes it one of the least successful secret identities imaginable, as he's spending several hours a day keeping Lois off the trail.

••

When I was a kid, I used to wonder when Superman had been so foolish as to TELL people he had a secret identity. Doesn't that rather defeat the purpose? It's like being told Xmas presents are hidden somewhere in the house. Who could resist looking for them?

It all springs, of course, from perhaps the most dangerous trap in writing comics: forgetting that the characters don't know everything the readers know. Even the Old Pros often stumbled on this one, and once the tipping point was passed, and we entered the realms where the Old Pros were in the minority, and fans-turned-pro were running the shop…

Well, that's where we end up with an editor declaring that Lois not guessing Clark is Superman makes her look "stupid". Really? Doesn't it really make Superman look really, really, REALLY good at his "job"?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 12  

Most long term fans were never fooled about Peter's supposed demise in Amazing #700. Marvel and DC have been pulling this "He's dead, Jim" for decades. It was never going to be "if" Peter Parker's consiousness regains control, but "when". We still don't know when, but I'm intrigued again with the storyline.

••

When I killed Guardian, in ALPHA FLIGHT, a sizable portion of the mail in response to that issue asked when he was coming back. A big ol' red flag, there! Fans had become so inured to death in comics, that for many it didn't MATTER any more.

"He's dead, Jim" most often meant he really WAS. In comics, tho, the line has become something more like "This time for sure!!" Until he comes back.

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version