Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: Dan Slott gets death threats for ASM#700 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 1  

"Lack of availabilty in places that kids go like 7-11 and grocery stores"

When is the lasttime you saw a group of kids hanging out at a 7-11 or a grocery store?

Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 2  

Kids don't necessarily need to be hanging out at a 7-11... I got most of my comics there as a kid, simply by riding along with my Mom or Dad.  Almost every visit paid off with a comic book (and/or a Slurpee!).

Comics used to be the greatest "impulse buy" ever for a kid, regardless of the venue!

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 3  

For me too, that's when the discovery happened. Kid goes out with parents, kid looks around while Mom and Dad shop, kid sees rack of comics, gets excited! I discovered comics by being in the right place at the right time, not because I was looking for them. And a few years later I began getting them regularly when it became a weekly ritual for me to go with my father to get the Sunday morning papers and I was allowed to pick 2 comics. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 4  

There is an ironic kind of pyrrhic victory in the fact that many schools now
use comic books to encourage kids to READ!!
---
I sometimes use comic books to encourage reluctant readersUnfortunately, .
each year there seems to be fewer and fewer new superhero titles
appropriate for that use.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 5  

I understand what you are saying about stumbling on them in stores. I'm just suggesting that the stores don't want them as there aren't enough kids to stumbple upon them.  Consider the two stories...

Going with dad to get a Sunday paper...except in our world we have lost most of that audience thanks to the Internet and 24 hour news.

Getting out of the car when folks are filling with gas...except our world now is largely pay at the pump. How many people, let alone kids, go inside.

For convenience stores, even if we were getting Lee & Kirby quality work from the books, these would be a losing venture. Its a very high-priced item without a lot of margin that requires a great deal of work to maintain without a lot of people to purchase.

I know it would be great if we could get comics in more magazine racks, except the racks we do have are shrinking, getting smaller and smaller. The paradigm no longer works in today's world, which is why we need to find a new paradigm.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 6  

But the comics industry dumped those venues while they were still valid ways of reaching new customers, crippling the business long before it would have possibly fallen due to those venues drying up. Had it continued to thrive for the years between then and now, they might still need a new plan or business model of some sort, but it would be replacing one that had been healthier for much of the past twenty-five years. A healthy comics industry gradually moving into other means of attracting customers is far different than a nearly dead industry needing resurrection.

In other words, what needs to be done now is a lot different than what would need to be done if certain bad decisions hadn't been made years ago.

Edited by Aaron Smith on 06 January 2013 at 11:33am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think kids read a lot nowadays,they just read in a different way,short sharp bursts on Facebook and Twitter,conversely comics which told stories in short sharp bursts are now stretching out stories out to bloated proportions.Maybe the writers should go back to one issue stories? Also,my friend gave me his copy of Previews to look at.I noticed Marvel were hawking `Mass market` prose novelisations of comic storylines,it got me thinking...maybe they should be producing `Mass market` actual comic books.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 8  

While I had read comics since I was a kid,it really was only until I was 17,that it became my hobby and it was because I had a part-time job and able to purchase them on my own. I was then able to sample all sorts of titles from Marvel & DC.There were no shops in my area at the time. I relied on the spinner racks at Hallmark and Waldenbooks. Some titles I missed,but for the most part was able to get the main stuff like Spider-Man,Superman,Thor,etc. It wasn't until I was in the USAF and stationed in Witchita Falls that I went in to a shop. Talk about comic overload!! I didn't know where to start lol
I settled into the back issue boxes and ended up purchasing all issues of Crisis on Infinite Earths,JB's Man of Steel and the first 5 issues of JB's Superman. I discovered titles that weren't sold on the spinner rack in my area like Sandman and Hellblazer or different companies' books such as Dark Horse titles. Every base I ended up at,the first thing I did was look for a shop nearby. By the time I was discharged from service,a small shop had opened up back home and I eventually ended up helping out there. The guy who ran the shop was pure speculator and only ordered mainstream and "hot" titles. He got a job for a little bit and left the ordering to me for a time.To which,I cut back on the amount of "hot" books and diversified the selection and ordered more kid friendly titles as well as independent publisher books. I listened to what the customer enjoyed and would recommend various titles that might suit their taste. For that brief period of time,I saw that the value of a comic shop was to provide a service to the customer and the genre....not myself or my personal likes/dislikes and I loved every minute of it. Once the owner came back,he took over the ordering again and all I had worked for was wiped away and back to the "hot" title of the month and I left shortly after. To some sense of personal satisfaction,he ended up losing customers and closed the shop not much later. The shop I've worked at now for the past 10 years is located in a mall and very open(it used to be Waldenbooks before they closed so almost full circle there for me). A comic shop can and should be a positive force for the genre and customers and that it invokes a negative image is disheartening. I truly support a return to mass marketing of the books.Put 'em back in the grocery store,drug store,Wal-Mart,Toys R Us.....any place where they are accessible. Let all these and the comic shops do a service for what we love...of course,there also needs a return to they kind of comic that any and all can read and enjoy as well.
Sorry for the rambling and thread drift of this post. Ummmm to keep on topic somewhat,none of my customers have felt the need to send a death threat to Slott over this. They are,however,disappointed in the direction chosen and not sure if Superior Spider-Man is a book they want to read.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 9  

"But the comics industry dumped those venues while they were still valid ways of reaching new customers, crippling the business long before it would have possibly fallen due to those venues drying up. "

I believe it was the venues that dumped comics. In the midwest, one of our main grocery store chains still has spinner racks. The bookstores in the area do too.  Heck, Waldenbooks (where I got my start as well) had spinner racks right up till they went out of business. Stores can carry traditional editions, they just don't have the customers to do so with such a poor pricepoint.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

When is the lasttime you saw a group of kids hanging out at a 7-11 or a grocery store?

All the time. I live in a small town. Kids go to those places all the time. I would get my comics at 7-11 or High's after baseball, basketball, and football practice and games. My parents would go to the grocery or drug store and I go to the magazines which also had a comic book rack. I used to buy those 3 pack Marvel Comics at Apple Valley Supermarket and at Zayre's department store.

My LCS actually donates free comics to the local Alamo when any comic book movie comes out. Granted the comics and movies can be very different but the general idea is "Hey if you like the movie, maybe you should check out the comics".

Edited by Shawn Kane on 06 January 2013 at 8:17pm

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

There is an ironic kind of pyrrhic victory in the fact that many schools now use comic books to encourage kids to READ!!

I'm a special education teacher so the visual part of a comic book is more inviting to my students. Truthfully, I'm glad when they do any kind of independent reading even if it's the Ultimates.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 12  

Granted the comics and movies can be very different but the general idea is "Hey if you like the movie, maybe you should check out the comics".

An idea that the publishers can't seem to grasp. When AVENGERS or similar movies have come out, I've seen big displays of related stuff in Walmarts, toystores, other department stores, etc. There are action figures, books, games, pajamas, even sneakers featuring the characters. Where are the comics? AVENGERS was hugely successful, so you'd think Marvel would have some interest in promoting the comics even if only as a side bonus of the film's immense popularity.    

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version