Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: Dan Slott gets death threats for ASM#700 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 1  

Mike Carlin of all people justified Lois Lane figuring out the Superman/Clark Kent connection because her not knowing made her look "stupid."

••

Christopher Reeve convinced me the disguise would work.

The Clark/Superman secret should probably be a litmus test for comic fans AND professionals. The moment you question it, time for another hobby -- and another job!!

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

Marvel has spent the last forty years or so systematically stripping out the elements which originally made Spider-Man an intesting character:

Great answer. When I read Spider-man as written today, it feels (for me) like a bad actor playing a classic role. The trappings alone (nervous banter) don't make that particular hero so great.

The moment you question it, time for another hobby --

I made a similar comment in a Facebook thread whining about the lack of 'realism' with secret identities, and was told that super-hero conventions have ruined comics (shrug).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm still not sure why people are getting worked up over what's going to be a temporary storyline.  This doesn't feel temporary in a "Death of Superman/this is obviously going to be reversed" sort of way, but this feels like a "the bad guy won, but the good guy will find a way to win in the end" story.  I'd rather read a run of stories about a replacement Batman than see Bruce Wayne become a murderer, and I'd rather see a story about Superboy struggling to replace Superman than have Clark Kent become completely incompetent at his own job for a year. 

If Slott's story is great, I get a year's worth of enjoyable stories out of it.  If it stinks, I've got 50 years' worth of older material to re-read while I wait it out and an extra eight bucks a month to try some books from Image, IDW or Dark Horse that I haven't read yet.    
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm still not sure why people are getting worked up over what's going to be a temporary storyline.

••

Because they're idiots?

Or was that a rhetorical question?

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

"When I read Spider-man as written today, it feels (for me) like a bad actor playing a classic role."

Then why do you read it?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

Mike Carlin of all people justified Lois Lane figuring out the Superman/
Clark Kent connection because her not knowing made her look
"stupid."••

++++++++++

Is this why the Silver Age Superman used Super-hypnotism to trick all
his friends of the Daily Bugle.

Edited by Kip Lewis on 02 January 2013 at 3:19pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 7  

A reference to "The Master Mesmerizer of Metropolis" in Superman #330, Kip? That story posited that Superman had unwittingly been convincing those around him since childhood that Clark was smaller and more frail than Superman. The rounded pieces of shattered canopy from his space rocket that he used for his glasses amplified his wish to appear more frail to onlookers and had been doing so since he first wore them back in Smallville. Somehow, the effect was duplicated in television broadcasts and still photography (cough!)

I found that one interesting, although not a complete success. Lois and Lana both agree at one point, having caught Superman in the act of changing to Clark that it was always a stretch on their part. "What I could never figure out," one of them says "was how you changed your appearance so completely!" Later, Superman has a staff artist at the Planet draw a picture of Superman from a photo and one of Clark as well. The picture of Clark looks more like Les Nesman from WKRP, which makes the number of times Clark has masqueraded as Superman either on his own or at the behest of others problematic. There are any number of issues with the solution, really, but the key to remember when dealing with the story was that it was never referred to again, nor was it "wished away into the cornfield" either. It was there for those who needed an explanation, and easily ignored by those who found it preposterous.

Clark of course was well-connected throughout the journalism industry, so I find it likely that, yes, with a preponderance of super-types and secret identities in play at the Bugle, he would in fact take extra steps to secure his identity whenever he visited there while in New York... :-) Never hurts to be too careful y'know, especially around people who may possess spider-senses...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 8  

This reminds me of the end of the year in 1992 when SUPERMAN 75 was released. Ever since then, it seems like if comics creators want to get in the news, they kill or maim or otherwise injury the hero. The story, unfortunately, is secondary. THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN is a classic, a wonderfully moving story I enjoy revisiting. It never made the papers.

I wish the media would stop giving these gimmicks any attention -- sort of like how you are supposed to deal with a child's tantrums.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 9  

Maybe MJ will have the Octo-Baby and it will fast-age grow up into Peter!

SPIDEY, JR.! 

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN is a classic, a wonderfully moving story I enjoy revisiting. It never made the papers.

---

It never made the papers or you just weren't reading newspapers back then? Because it was in a LOT of papers, and on the news, and it was a pretty Big Deal back in 1992. I was 12, and adults were asking me about it because they knew I collected comics. Though, when I told them I collected Marvel not DC I just got confused looks...

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 11  

"If Slott's story is great, I get a year's worth of enjoyable stories out of it.  If it stinks, I've got 50 years' worth of older material to re-read while I wait it out and an extra eight bucks a month to try some books from Image, IDW or Dark Horse that I haven't read yet.   "

================================

I think there's something really, really with wrong looking at it that way. Comics is a serial, episodic experience, especially with the superhero comic books we are talking about. Done right, there's a real immediacy, making us wonder what's going to happen next. Done wrong, it's a waste of a month (or in Marvel's case, several years). For that reason, the latest adventures of Superman or Spider-Man matter a great deal to us, even if we're not current readers. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 02 January 2013 at 9:09pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

I don't know about this theoretical MJ pregnancy idea... Isn't it a little late to be cashing in on the "Octo-Mom" craze... ?

But I do like Joe's point. If we're only going to do one story with these characters every two years or so, shouldn't we be trying to do only the very best...?

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version