Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: Another school shooting (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

The "Gun Control Hall of Fame" is a pile of crap. They had very different motives. Also,I don't see Obama having people who protest against him killed or murdering American citizens in the millions. I'm clouding the issue with facts though.
Back to Top profile | search

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

According to this: 

http://goo.gl/IYDFE

Obama's gun control plan is unlikely to pass the the Senate even though its controlled by Dems.

Obama's plan seems more then reasonable to me.

Edited by David Plunkert on 19 January 2013 at 3:54pm

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 3  

Shooting yourself in the foot comes to mind

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

Shooting yourself in the foot comes to mind

iiiii

Wait for the NRA to equate this with slipping on a freshly mopped floor or stepping on a rake. 

I would guess that incidents like this are why the NRA blocks gun research.

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 5  

The purpose of the second amendment is to ensure that citizens should have the rights to possess weapons to protect themselves - foremost from the government.

+++++++++

I need some clarification of this "protect us from the government" argument. What can a Bushmaster or AR-15 rifle do against a Hellfire missile fired from a remote-piloted drone?

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 6  

RONALD: In the 21st century, what exactly, in Obama's character, warrants this kind of paranoia?

SER: It's interesting to pose this question on the weekend of the MLK holiday. There was a great deal of paranoia regarding MLK -- at the federal level. He had way too much power, and although he preached non-violence, that had to be a bait and switch. After all the oppression and mistreatment blacks had received in this country surely MLK was waiting for the right moment to launch an outright attack, to start a race war?

Of course, that wasn't his intent.

There are people who believe that Obama is waiting for his moment to wreck vengeance on white America.

What's also interesting about the meme you posted is that it doesn't present Obama as a well-meaning Chamberlain type who might have good-intentioned reasons for legislating guns, which the genuinely bad people like Hitler and Stalin would use their advantage. No, *he's* the Stalin, Mao, and Hitler.

(Odd that this dictator, who controls the U.S. military, would have to go through the trouble of banning guns to then commit mass murder, rather than simply declaring people terrorists.)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jean-Francois Joutel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

The purpose of the second amendment is to ensure that citizens should have the rights to possess weapons to protect themselves - foremost from the government.

••

No, the purpose of the Second Amendment is so that citizens can PROTECT THE GOVERNMENT.

====

JB is right. The second amendment is to allow citizens to organize armed militias to protect the State.

QUOTE:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Turning your guns on your own country would violate Article 3, Section 3 of the constitution:

QUOTE:
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.

How many conservatives are advocating treason?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 8  

+++++++++

I need some clarification of this "protect us from the government" argument. What can a Bushmaster or AR-15 rifle do against a Hellfire missile fired from a remote-piloted drone?

••

Watching news reports covering all this, I have been seeing FAR more footage of people at gun shows that I ever really need to. Time and again I am reminded of the worst strata of comic fans I used to see at Cons. (They are still there, I just don't go any more!) The fat fanboys in their never-washed Wolverine t-shirts who want the characters to be KICK-ASS and SEXUALLY CHARGED so they, the fans, can live vicariously thru them.

The gun show slobs want to live vicariously thru their guns. The Wolverine Ts have been replaced with camouflage and flak vests that have never been within a thousand miles of a war zone, but these loons imagine themselves playing out the RED DAWN scenario against our own government gone mad.

Just last night I saw one such stellar citizen on the news, almost in tears as he complained that "a few people" breaking the law shouldn't mean he should have to give up HIS guns. Clearly, to him, those dead children, ALL the dead children, are a fair trade as long as he can continue to bolster his manhood with mechanical phalli.

Dave Jasinski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 9  

What is really disturbing is the scary number of people who now subscribe to conspiracy theories that Sandy Hook was staged by the government as a pretext to taking guns away. A mashup video on YouTube has something like 10 MILLION views now. The comments on these articles are disturbingly full of people who seem to believe this nonsense. 
"Evidence" like the parents weren't convincingly sad enough so they must be "crisis actors", Gene Rosen is a member of SAG (wrong Gene Rosen)
He was the gentleman who took the children into his home. Then there are questions about the police letting "suspects" go. A lot of this is fueled by the media doing a sloppy job in their zeal to be first with the story and the conspiracy theorists are jumping on every inconsistency as proof. 
They will call people gullible sheep for listening to the mainstream media but then offer up a YouTube video made by a 19 year old full of lies, innuendo and rumors. 

This is particularly bad because in this case these people are hurting the grieving parents and community by calling them liars and hijacking the conversation away from remembering the victims to being forced to deal with their paranoid nonsense. 

It's just really scary how many people seem to subscribe to this nonsense and many of them are the ones who have guns. 

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 10  

Dave Jasinski wrote:
"Evidence" like the parents weren't convincingly sad enough so they must be "crisis actors"

The one I keep seeing is the image that alleges that the Aurora shooter's attorney and one of the Sandy Hook parents are the same person and must, therefore, be a 'crisis actor'.

Quite apart from the crappy photos only showing two women who look a bit similar, it took me exactly one minute to establish that the source of the image was a website run by a certified, grade-A, tinfoil hat-wearing loony. The same guy alleges that Walt Disney and Adolf Hitler were the same person; that Winston Churchill was actually actor Lionel Barrymore and JFK wasn't killed in Dallas but in fact went on to have a long political career because he was also Jimmy Carter.

Seriously?! Are people so desperate to swallow conspiracy theories that they'll buy any random crap peddled by nutters without the briefest pause to look a little further?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 11  

Our local Sunday paper, just this morning, has a story telling how stores in our town can't keep guns or ammo on the shelves. Everything is selling out as fast as they can get the stuff stocked.

What the fuck is going on?!?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 12  

Seriously?! Are people so desperate to swallow conspiracy theories that they'll buy any random crap peddled by nutters without the briefest pause to look a little further?

••

Yes.

Oh, sorry. Was that a rhetorical question?

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version