Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: Another school shooting (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2013 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
There just don't seem to be any gun owners who have reasonable opinions about the topic.

I'm a gun owner and I like to think that I have reasonable opinions on them.  I think that the NRA is stupid.  I've looked at the President's proposals and don't have a problem with them.  I don't care if I have to wait a month or have a background check to own a weapon.  I doubt that I'll ever bring another gun into my house.  I don't need an arsenal.  I don't care if assault weapons or large capacity magazines are banned.  I don't care if any of this happens, as a matter of fact, I support it.

I've noticed over the last several years, the more I listen to gun owners, the more I identify myself with people that want to eliminate firearms.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2013 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

Almost all state constitutions (44) contain language similar to the Second Amendment. And almost all of those explicitly protect a self-defense right through firearms.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2013 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

JB: And so far, Obama has said. . .   nothing. Nothing that will do any good, anyway. A total repeal of the Second Amendment is the only thing that can possibly do any good. No guns outside police forces and the military. None.

SER: I used to think that was impossible but is it really? There's a lot of bluster from people about an armed resistance if the federal government tried to take away Americans' guns but I think a lot of that *is* bluster. I think back to the Civil Rights movement -- non-violent resistance from a lot of people who really had nothing to lose given their already second-class status. Now consider the demographics of gun owners. How many would risk imprisonment and the loss of the comforts of society they currently enjoy?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brandon Scott Berthelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2013 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

They might not have to worry much when you consider a
large, probably majority portion of the police and military
would be on their side.

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 5  

JB: And so far, Obama has said. . . nothing. Nothing that will do any good, anyway. A total repeal of the Second Amendment is the only thing that can possibly do any good. No guns outside police forces and the military. None.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------

Stephen Robinson: I used to think that was impossible but is it really? There's a lot of bluster from people about an armed resistance if the federal government tried to take away Americans' guns but I think a lot of that *is* bluster. I think back to the Civil Rights movement -- non-violent resistance from a lot of people who really had nothing to lose given their already second-class status. Now consider the demographics of gun owners. How many would risk imprisonment and the loss of the comforts of society they currently enjoy?

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------

I was thinking along similar lines recently - granted, the nearest point of comparison here in the UK would be something like the 'public smoking ban' or the 'blood sports ban', so there isn't the additional argument of "it's necessary for self-defence" like the pro-gun crowd use, but still, in terms of public response, I'd like to think it'd pan out in a similar way.

To elaborate, when such bans were proposed, there was a lot of grousing in certain parts - smokers felt it was a violation of their rights, and the Hunt lobby argued it was "destroying a part of the UK's national heritage" (among other things). Particularly in the latter case, there were threats that the 'huntin', shootin'' crowd would take up arms to 'defend their rights', but when the time came for the bans to take effect, all that actually happened was groups with placards and loudhailers outside Parliament on a few occasions. No armed revolts or anything - that sort of thing ends up being all talk and bluster.

Compare that to the one thing in recent years where people did go beyond peaceful protests, and actually kicked up a major fuss - the big demonstrations protesting the decision to allow Universities to charge top-dollar for tuition fees (and thus pricing-out all but the wealthier segments of society from accessing higher education). In that instance, you actually saw scuffles with police, rioting and property damage, because it was a clear-cut case of the Government acting against the public interest.

I'd hate to be proved wrong over this, but I'd like to think that the bulk of US citizens have just enough common sense to realise that taking military-grade weaponry out of the reach of Joe Public is a logical move to ensure that any old person can't get their hands on a tool designed to kill on a large scale, and (either deliberately or accidentally) kill or injure people around them in seconds, before anyone can intervene.

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2013 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

Total repeal of the 2nd amendment? Never going to happen.

Where, how, what, and who buys firearms can be affected by gun control moving forward in incremental stages but the political will doesn't exist in this country for people to give up all guns. 

Watch how much of what's currently proposed makes it through the Congress and Senate.

Don't like the things myself.

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 7  

What blew me away was finding out that Congress had banned any gov't funding to research gun violence. There are hundreds of ridiculous studies that the gov't helps funds but study guns?-NO WAY!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 January 2013 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 8  

Total repeal of the 2nd amendment? Never going to happen.

••

We were "never" going to abolish slavery or repeal Prohibition, either.

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2013 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 9  

We were "never" going to abolish slavery or repeal Prohibition, either.

iii

I get your point.... I should've said "a total repeal of the 2nd amendment is about as likely as a total repeal of the 1st."

Theoretically possible though highly unlikely without huge event(s) occurring that changes the country on a fundamental level.

Terry Thielen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2013 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 10  

if people don't trust their government that much, then they need to go ahead and forcefully take it over and replace it with another one. But then I have to ask those people, would they be Revolutionaries or just simply Terrorists? 
I just get really sick and tired of the the "from my cold dead hands!" crap. If you need to keep your guns so bad because of an imaginary new hitler, then we have all lost. We can't have any logical discussion. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 January 2013 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 11  

Theoretically possible though highly unlikely without huge event(s) occurring that changes the country on a fundamental level.

••

Yeah, of course. All these dead children should not be considered a "huge event". Just collateral damage. Not enough to take away the big phallic symbols.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 January 2013 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 12  

if people don't trust their government that much, then they need to go ahead and forcefully take it over and replace it with another one.

••

The truly pathetic part of this is that there are gun nuts who believe that they really could do that, if push came to shove. Or, at the very least, they could defend themselves against the Armed Forces of this nation.

Talk about mentally unhinged!

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version