Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: Another school shooting (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 1  

I have found that a lot of my friends on Facebook are quick to post all kinds of crazy pro-gun nonsense. I'm always dumbfounded that so many people feel so passionate about guns, but not that much else. I asked my wife 'what is it about guns that's so damned special?' and she said the most obvious answer: "Power". 
Of course! it's like everyone gets to have a superpower all their own! All I have to do is flick my finger and you die! All I have to do is simply point it at you and you will do whatever I want! I can fight crime with it! 
so, of course I said the only thing that I could

"With great power comes great responsibility"
Back to Top profile | search

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 2  

Piers Morgan is taking a lot of heat from gun advocates just like--and including--Alex Jones.  I've never watched Pier Morgan's program, but having Alex Jones on the show seems like a natural thing to do: it gives ait to the arguments against Piers' position, and if it just so happens that those arguments are coming from the lunatic fringe--vis a vis Alex Jones--then so be it.

I don't read this as Morgan highlighting himself, but instead having to do very little to demonstrate the logic, or lack thereof, behind some of the popular online voices that blindly support guns.

I'm glad Morgan is using his show to shine a light on folks like Jones.  Someone wrote at the very beginning of this thread that if this latest school shooting spree doesn't change anything, then nothing will.  Well, compacted with the voices of the Alex Joneses of America--and the position the NRA has taken over this latest massacre--perhaps we may yet see some small, incremental change after all.  I doubt it, but by giving Jones his airtime, Morgan has at least increased the odds a little.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 3  

It has to be power with some people.

I don't think I'd object to a farmer keeping some sort of gun to deter vermin or animals who a threat to his crops/animals. I understand hunting, also. However, when I see army-style weapons in a person's home, I just can't understand it.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 4  

Maybe it`s a case of `The tinier the todger,the bigger the weapon`?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 5  

In this age of 9/11 conspiracy crackpots, I had a bad feeling something like this would eventually turn up... just disgusted that it happened so quickly:

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/newtown-sandy-hook-s chool-shooting/hc-conn-school-shooting-professor-0110-201301 09,0,2316720.story

Greg Cordier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 6  

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 7  

Same mentality as Holocaust deniers. Evil exists in the world. To deny it is to empower it.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 8  

Its now being reported that there was a school shooting in California just a little while ago. Cops got this shooter alive.

School restarted this week....that didn't take long, did it??

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 9  

Same mentality as Holocaust deniers. Evil exists in the world. To deny it is to empower it.

Hardly.

There are those that believe there is such evil in the world that they need to be armed to the teeth to combat it, should it find its way to their doorstep.   

Not siding with the gun or anti-gun nuts.  I just thought your Holocaust deniers analogy was a bit off.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 10  

In the context that certain idiots are claiming the shooting was staged by Obama using actors,i`d say the Holocaust denying analogy is pretty good.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 11  

In the context that certain idiots are claiming the shooting was staged by Obama using actors,i`d say the Holocaust denying analogy is pretty good.

OK.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 12  

It's right up there with the nuts who believe the moon landing was staged or that 9/11 was our government killing our own people in order to drag us into a war.  There will always be a certain segment of the population that will buy hook, line and sinker into just about any conspiracy theory no matter the wealth of facts that prove otherwise. 

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version