Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: Another school shooting (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 1  

Forget gun control, video games and career-oriented parents - those are all red herrings. The real problem here is mental health.

There have never been so many cases of autistic, schizophrenic, sociopathic, and downright apathetic children as there are today. Congress has only just begun to look into the causes for this - and when all is said and done, I am afraid the culprit may be too much mercury in childrens' vaccines. Something the drug companies will have to answer to - hopefully soon.

Here is a link to a Congressional hearing that every concerned citizen should listen to with great care.

http://www.c-span.org/Events/Lawmakers-Look-into-Federal-Res ponse-to-Rising-Rates-of-Autism/10737436113/

Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 2  

Are some of those kids full of `E` numbers and other modern food additives? Are those children the products of modern parenting where the kid has rarely heard the word `No` and has been given no boundaries,then when they attend school and start showing problems are then prescribed mind altering drugs that don`t really need? There were no ADHD kids when i was at school(In the 70`s),now there seem to be dozens at every school.

Edited by Bill Collins on 03 January 2013 at 2:02pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 3  

As a teacher, I see that type of child more and more every year.

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

Bill & Bill - with things like ADHD and particularly Autistic Spectrum Disorders, it's merely a case of an increasing number of diagnosed cases. Where 30 years ago a young person might just be seen as 'socially inept' or 'chronically shy', they might now be properly diagnosed as having Asperger's Syndrome, for example.

Or by the same token, there are a great many mis-diagnosed cases of such things adding to the increased numbers, too - it's been joked about before. but I'm stunned by how many kids fobbed off as having 'ADHD' and being dosed up on Ritalin are just bright, active minds with parents/teachers too dense and inflexible to give them the stimuli and nurturing they deserve.

And don't get me started on the constant and fallacious linking of Autism to vaccines - grrr... Apart from anything else, 'autism proper' is just the most severe end of a spectrum of atypical neurological conditions - not something that vaccines turn 'on', like flicking a switch. Not to mention that people can vary from being neuro-typical in a variety of other ways similar to how the 'Autistic spectrum' diverges from the neurological 'norm', but none of this is taken into account when people start anti-vaccination witchhunts due to the Autism-link myth.

Here's a fantastic video featuring the brilliant Dr. Ben Goldacre (a hero of mine), pretty thoroughly beheading this particular zombie - well worth a watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa9rS4BWwDg

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think many cases of HDHD are just naughty kids,in this day and age it`s easier to dose them up on Ritalin than tackle the cause of the naughtiness,i`m not saying some cases are not genuine.

Bill Conway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

Rick,

Take a look at that video from the Congressional hearing on autism. There is a very scary presentation that shows what the element mercury does to brain cells and their ability to process information in very young children.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yeah, okay....  mental illness treatments need to be addressed... but really, if this isn't a sign of just how mentally ill our society is, i don't know what is...

The issue is weapons, and the ability to easily have access to them. Experts will be citing their specific position on this for years to come. However, the facts remain, poor control of weapons, led to a massacre; and even worst, the paranoia of survivalist stances that our world is coming to an end, the fear it promotes, and the idiots who leverage these fear mongering tactics, is the real problem facing this country.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 03 January 2013 at 3:37pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

Bill - be aware that just because an advocacy group with an agenda put a quite-possibly-slanted video before congress, doesn't make it necessarily true. There's been several studies into a possible link between Thimerosal-based mercury and developmental damage in children, and every one thus far has come to the same conclusion as any other attempt to discern a potential connection between vaccines and autism: to people's best knowledge (this next part taken from the CDC website), there's no convincing evidence of harm caused by the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines, except for minor reactions like redness and swelling at the injection site. However, in July 1999, the Public Health Service agencies, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure.

More on a recent (2012) study at this link, here:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Concerns/Thimerosal/QA_Pedi atrics-thimerosal-autism.html

While I'd concede that it's not impossible for something in certain vaccines being a possible health risk, I'll repeat the point from earlier: Autism Spectrum-based conditions are neurological. In other words, it's a measure of how far from 'normal' one is in terms of their neural patterns. This could easily be genetic, in which case, a vaccine is going to do precisely jack-squat to affect a child's chances of 'developing' Autism - since it's not really a case of 'developing' it, as it is simply becoming more apparent as the child grows.

Also, it's worth making clear: the amount of mercury contained in Thimerosal is very small, and considering that Thimerosal itself isn't a massive amount in any vaccine, we're talking a tiny dose of mercury. Give a kid a tuna sandwich, and they're getting more mercury from that then from several vaccinations combined (all of which would have to contain mercury, obviously).

Edited by Rick Shepherd on 03 January 2013 at 3:59pm

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 9  

Rick, I second everything you have written regarding the ABSOLUTELY FALSE link between vaccines and any mental health disorders. Sorry to be undiplomatic, but it's foolish and deadly for anyone to believe in such a link, worse yet for them to try to convince others of it. Parents who refuse to get their kids vaccinated are making a decision that potentially affects every child that their child comes into contact with, thus making this a major public health concern.

I encourage everyone to read the book AUTISM'S FALSE PROPHETS by Dr. Paul A. Offit, which deftly dismantles the anti-vaccine argument using science and facts. 

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2013 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'm not even sure what to say but holy shit gun people are crazy. Divorced from reality and armed. I'm getting scared.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 1:07am | IP Logged | 11  

Has anyone seen pro-gun personality Alex Jones go beserk on Piers Morgan? Absolutely terrifying. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 12  

Since this awful tragedy (obviously, we must never forget the children), I've had to "unfriend" quite a few people on Facebook. I cannot believe the 'debate' I'm seeing and some of the crap that has appeared on my newsfeed.

There was one comparing the damage that hammers can do with guns, forgetting that hammers are not created with the intent to kill. Plus, a guy who walked into a school with a hammer could probably be disarmed with relative ease.

Almost anything can be used as a weapon. I could, for example, pick up my modem or a large wooden spoon and attack someone with it, but those things are not designed to kill. Guns are.

Oh, and I saw that Alex Jones last night. What an ass. Please tell me the pro-gun lobby aren't all like that. I do sometimes think that the loudest voices are that way because they've lost the debate and have no substance to their arguments.

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version