Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: Another school shooting (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 1  

All things in moderation... if the kid had mental health issues, but all he did was insulate himself with gun worship and violent video games (all day long, by some accounts), with no susbstantial contact with the outside world, then yeah, you can bet something's going to go terribly wrong somewhere down the road.

Back to Top profile | search

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

Shaun it doesn't even have to be the person insulating themselves.in violent content. When I was an art education major we had to study the effects violence had on children. Kids can be taught to be more violent.

This was done in 1999, too bad we didn't learn from it and do something.

Shaun as I said, the problem doesn't just fall on video games, but I as a parent, I would be willing to get rid of violent video games in the market place. Shooting another person over and over for entertainment, should be looked at as a possible piece of the puzzle.

Marcio I also agree we shouldn't glorify the killers.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2013 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 3  

I see that a few people,including children have been injured on New Year`s Eve by the moronic practice of randomly shooting into the sky.

Also,that people are profiting by selling guns and ammo at highly inflated prices in fear of future regulation.How distasteful that profiteers are making a fortune.Stockpiling guns and ammo...that`s not going to end well.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2013 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 4  

Jodi wrote:
Shaun as I said, the problem doesn't just fall on video games, but I as a parent, I would be willing to get rid of violent video games in the market place. Shooting another person over and over for entertainment, should be looked at as a possible piece of the puzzle.

As a parent, I would not be willing to get rid of such games. Such a consideration is likely as plausable as all the people who have willingly subjected themselves to radioactivity in search of super powers.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2013 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 5  

Brian, that is very well said. There is no correlation between violence and video games (as there was no evidence or indication that comic book readers would turn into troubled kids back in the day).

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 2:15am | IP Logged | 6  

I remember in the 80`s the Judas Priest trial after a couple of teenagers shot each other while listening to a Priest album,supposedly you could hear the phrase `Do it` during the track `Better By You,Better Than Me` This was during the height of the Tipper Gore battle against rock music.The implication was,that the `Do it` bit,which was proven to be singer Rob Halford breathing,ordered them to shoot each other.The fact that they were from broken homes,had easy access to guns and were under the influence of drugs was conveniently ignored in favour of using rock music a scapegoat.Never mind the millions of people who had listened to that track with no adverse affects.Also the Nike tagline `Just Do It` was very similar.So as with comics in the Wertham era i don`t think video games are to blame.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Terry Thielen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 7  

if anything, I would imagine violent video games to be a good outlet for kids that might be so inclined to violence.

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 8  

If one is prepared to ban violent video games in hopes of reducing society's violence one need be prepared to excise violent movies, books, and comic books as well. All are legitimate and in many countries protected forms of expression. There is no causality of violent media creating violent kids, despite tenuous attempts to create one going back to looney tunes.

Edmonton and the surrounding areas has a population of approx. 1 million people and recorded 29 homicides in 2012. 8 were shootings. This is one of the worst crime years in Edmonton in years.

Toronto and surrounding areas is nearly 5 times the size and recorded 58 homicides, 33 were shootings..

Jacksonville FL is approximately the same size as Edmonton and had 107 homicides down from 2011, the majority of which were shootings.

It is harder to kill people when they do not have access to guns.

RT

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brandon Scott Berthelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

On video games being an outlet for violence.

When I was a kid and young teen I was very angry and got
into lots of fights. I almost got expelled for fights in
sixth grade. In seventh grade I joined a group that
played D&D as well as other RPG's. Being all young teen
boys we were excessively violent and cared about nothing
except killing and looting everyone we came upon.

Starting there I stopped getting in fights. I had an
imaginary outlet for my anger and by eighth grade I was a
model student (behavior wise, schoolwork was another
story).

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 10  

Thinking video games are part of the problem seems to take away the more pressing issue of lousy gun laws we have in this country. Focus on THAT issue will definitely diminish the effects of all the others. In other words, eliminating violent video games will not change the amount of incidents like Newtown... but an effort at effective GUN LAWS will. Then focus on the issue of mental illness. Sadly, too many reasons takes away from what really IS the issue.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 02 January 2013 at 11:09pm

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 11  

This is the problem, gun people don't see guns as a problem either. No one wants their lives changed to make this a better place. I did not say this is all video games fault. To compare comic books in the early years, to first person, realistic shooter games that kids play, hours on end, is not even close to the same. These games put kids in the roll of shooter, at a very early age. These video games are very realistic looking, to say otherwise, is not being truthful. 

I believe we have crossed a line and it is part of the problem. I believe lack of access to mental health help, easy access to guns and violence in "kids" entertainment is the cause. Throw in broken homes and kids raising themselves, we have created this mess. But no one wants to look inward, everyone just seems to be pointing fingers at the other guy yelling "It's all his fault!!"

And there are studies that prove when kids are exposed to violent content, they act out in violent play.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 02 January 2013 at 11:33pm

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 12  

Jodi Moisan wrote:
To compare comic books in the early years, to first person, realistic shooter games that kids play, hours on end, is not even close to the same. These games put kids in the roll of shooter, at a very early age. These video games are very realistic looking, to say otherwise, is not being truthful.

These games are also all M rated-If kids are playing them, blame the parents not the game. My kid didn't start playing "M" rated game until he was 15 and still hasn't played specific games because I will not expose him to that content. But then, I am an informed parent making informed decisions about what content in any media my kid is exposed to,including blocking sites and monitoring his internet use.

Blame inattentive parents and inattentive parents with guns if you need to lay blame.

RT
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version