Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: Another school shooting (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 1  

In the NYTimes today:

>>...there is overwhelming epidemiological evidence that the vast majority of people with psychiatric disorders do not commit violent acts. Only about 4 percent of violence in the United States can be attributed to people with mental illness. This does not mean that mental illness is not a risk factor for violence. It is, but the risk is actually small. 

[...]between 2001 and 2010, there were nearly 120,000 gun-related homicides, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. Few were perpetrated by people with mental illness.<<

Back to Top profile | search

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 2  

Gyah, I hate that "prayer in school" argument!!  Much trotted-out for any of our woes since 1962.  Not only is it ridiculous, it's incorrect.  Kids can pray in public schools. 

I also read that those wingnuts at Westboro Baptist are planning to picket the funerals of the Newtown children.  Stay classy, zealots.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 3  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought the Westboro folks are 'Baptist' in naming only, not affiliated so much with any religious group. Kinda like if I started calling myself a 'Vulcan'. They are their own brand of crazy that goes beyond religion and into trolling-for-effect.

Since the topic of psychiatric disorders has been breached (and not to take away from the gun topic, per se), but when considering access to guns ~ along with age restrictions, psychological testing, liabilty/insurance based on usage, etc. ~  can we throw a doctors note in there, too? We're coming into a generation of children-soon-to-be-adults who have been over-medicated from an early age for all kinds of societal abnormalities, some of which were better diagnosed than others. There are doctors who overly prescribe for ADD, ADHD, and other doctors that will misdiagnose simply for the benefit of a parent and an education system that isn't willing to take the time to work with a child. Doctors that don't communicate with each other, prescribe medications that don't mix well with what another doctor prescribes.

Even the most 'well adjusted' person, all things considered, once they've taken the right cocktail of medications, is the last person I'd entrust with a weapon and the accompanying ammuntion. Regardless their age or previous experience with a weapon. Just like I wouldn't trust them behind the wheel of a vehicle or operating heavy machinery.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 4  

It's always amused and frustrated me that in situations like this, that would seem to scream "there is no god or divine purpose", that people immediately rush to their tired religious contrivances. As I learn more about history, however, I am heartened by the fact that, even as frustrating as this nonsense can be, we have come a long way to secularizing society. 

The irony for me is that I've long viewed religion as being a baffling form of accepted, institutionalized, mental illness.  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 5  

Again, if a "miracle" occurred which saved an entire group of people, then I'd be willing to believe in miracles. However, I see nothing miraculous in a situation, whether it be 9/11 or a school shooting, where a majority of people die and there are only a few survivors.

Of course, I am glad that the survivors survived, but it would have been nice to see all of them survive. I hate to say this, but I have read almost all of the Bible and when I read about Moses seeing off the Egyptian Army with God's help or very sick people being cured, I cannot wonder where the miracles are today.

Getting back to the gun issue, I am coming across many comments on my Facebook news feud as everyone, from singers to political analysts, has an opinion on it. I believe some things are being twisted in a statistical sense and it is making me sick. All I can do is "unfriend" certain people or just scroll down the rest of my news feed.

For example, I saw one about some off-duty sheriff using a gun to prevent a massacre. That is nice to read, all respect to the officer and I am glad there were no casualties. However, statistically speaking, one person preventing a massacre with their own gun must be a very rare event compared to the many times a person has killed indiscriminately.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 6  

The irony for me is that I've long viewed religion as being a baffling form of accepted, institutionalized, mental illness.

Or, in many cases, mental laziness, unwillingness to attempt to think outside the box they were indoctrinated into as children, and ignorance of the fact that there's no real evidence that what they "believe" is true. I'd say some, those that take it really, really seriously, might have some form of mental illness, but most are going through motions they've been programmed into since childhood and it's all on automatic now.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

Alex Jones has gone on about Mayor Michael Bloomberg banning guns, but surround himself with armed guards 24/7. He called him an authoritarian hypocrite.

What an absurd statement. Can't he see the lunacy of it all or is he really that deluded?

I'm sure people understand that armed guards for mayors, governors and the President are a necessary evil. If they didn't have them, people would be attempting assaults/shootings all of the time. We have different gun laws over here, but I don't object to the Prime Minister having armed guards. 

To even make such a comparison is ridiculous. They really have lost the argument.

By the way, I don't have a link. Alex Jones was a "like" on my Facebook as I'd briefly heard some of his shows, so his statement appeared on my news feed. Another one to "unlike"...

Edited by Robbie Parry on 18 December 2012 at 12:33pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 8  

Gun control advocates urging Obama administration to look at certain steps Australia took:

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 9  

Various movies having their openings "delayed" because of this.

My cynicism senses Hollywood milking publicity from tragedy.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 10  

Again, if a "miracle" occurred which saved an entire group of people, then I'd be willing to believe in miracles. However, I see nothing miraculous in a situation, whether it be 9/11 or a school shooting, where a majority of people die and there are only a few survivors.

••

As Bill Maher observed, when a plane crashes and 110 people are killed and one survives, that's not a "miracle". That's God blowing a no-hitter in the bottom of the ninth.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 11  

Bill Maher takes defenders of stupid gun laws to task regarding idiotic pro-gun legislation:

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
Or, in many cases, mental laziness, unwillingness to attempt to think outside the box they were indoctrinated into as children, and ignorance of the fact that there's no real evidence that what they "believe" is true. I'd say some, those that take it really, really seriously, might have some form of mental illness, but most are going through motions they've been programmed into since childhood and it's all on automatic now.

That's probably more accurate, but I've long speculated that if it could somehow be measured, as in psychologically, that the majority of the human race would be diagnosed as being "mentally ill." There is certainly a destructive, self-loathing, paranoia that seems to affect the mighty and the humble in varying degrees across the board.   

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version