Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: Another school shooting (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

Nicely done.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 11:53pm | IP Logged | 2  

Very touching tribute to the victims.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 1:45am | IP Logged | 3  

This is a tragedy that beggers belief. I get the debate about landmines that briefly occurred last page but THIS - this is about individuals having access to crazy stuff. I don't care that people want to have guns. People want to do lots of things that are deemed inappropriate or illegal.

Your systems clearly do not work and need revising. If you keep access to guns because it is in the constitution then you need to change the access policy. Clearly the crazies are getting access.

Rhetoric about wanting access vs the number of deaths by guns each year? Please someone present a cohearant argument for why this should remain so becuase so far I have not seen anything that stacks up to my argument of why it should not be so. My argument consists of a number of faces - the faces change periodicaly once another crazy proves my point.

Also, on the previous page, at 12:13, Craig Robinson responded to a post by JB that was posted at 12:15!

How did that happen?

Scott Morrissey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 4  

This is by far one of the most tragic events to come out of the United States in recent times. Am still numbed by it days later, mostly becaue of where the murders took place.

If there is a time for Americans who want military grade weapons out of their society this is it. Take to the streets, write to your member of Congress and keep up the pressure. Don't let the lawmakers forget the children and their carers who were murdered. Some positive has to come out of this, things ought to have changed with Columbine. Too many dead, now there are 20 dead children. My 2nd youngest is the same age of the kids who were killed and it is just hearbreaking, it hits home.

If the masses truly want change they have to protest and make their voices heard, my concern is the whole thing being forgotten in a matter of weeks. And the status quo remaining. Obama ought to show some courage and make changes, he doesn't have to worry about being re-elected again in 2016. If he made and bought about lasting and meaningful change he would go down as a much loved President by many. Damn the economy, lives are so much more important. Courage is needed by him to help curb the bloodshed.

Love the comments I've been reading here, does give me hope compared to other sites, particually news sites that allow comments. There are good minded people out there and hopefully poeple around the USA can get together and get some lasting change.

From an outside view, it's almost as if the USA is in a perpetual war against itself. Way too many people dying in needless gun related crime.

Thing is, I've travelled to the USA four times. And have been struck that how friendly most of the people I've met there have been. That you guys are very patriotic, that you love your country, that you are very willing to help out and are welcoming hosts. An enormous amount of good, which is stained by this affair with guns. I don't get it. The picture really doesn't add up for me.

My heart is breaking for those families. Just hope for their sake that something positive can come from this.

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 5:12am | IP Logged | 5  

"Your systems clearly do not work and need revising. If you keep access to guns because it is in the constitution then you need to change the access policy. Clearly the crazies are getting access."

I agree. People shouldn't be allowed to own guns unless there is a "well-regulated militia" they are required to join. And until there are laws that define what exactly those militias are for and how those militias are to be regulated, people shouldn't be allowed to own guns at all. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 18 December 2012 at 5:14am

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 6  

"If there is a time for Americans who want military grade weapons out of their society this is it."

I don't think this is a watershed moment for gun-control here in the U.S. The media is doing its typical thing in the aftermath of a national tragedy : putting up pictures of flowers and teddy bears, leading the country through a "healing period", marveling at how wonderful and compassionate society can be. Which is how it should be for the family for the victims, but not for everyone else, because the problem, the threat, remains unresolved. No one deserves a gold medal in this. 

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 7  

Also, on the previous page, at 12:13, Craig Robinson responded to a post by JB that was posted at 12:15!

---

We weren't going to brag, but both JB and I are Time Lords.  Well, I'm more like a Time Lord in Training.

I just edited my first post to clarify that I was not endorsing the US gov't argument that we're all for a comprehensive landmine ban as long as we get an exemption for Korea.  When I read JB's response, I realized that it seemed like I agreed with our government's stance on the issue, when I do not.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 8  

In a couple of UK newspapers today, the word "miracle" was bandied about, to describe the survivors. Similar words were used in the UK media to describe survivors of 9/11.

Now, like anyone, I am of course content that someone has survived a horrific event, whether it be a shooting or terrorist attack, but the word miracle, if we go by the dictionary definition, is something attributed to divine intervention. And, truth be told, whilst it is semantics, I am uncomfortable with the use of the word when used in news stories like this.

I am not here to attack a person's faith, but in my mind, a "miracle" would have been the gunman's gun jamming or his car crashing. A "miracle" during 9/11 would have been the passengers all managing to overpower the terrorists and land the plane safely. I don't know, I just don't like the word "miracle" being used to describe survivors, when a good proportion of people died. Again, if there is a survivor in these events, then good, I hope they get the counselling and support they need, but I don't like the word being used.

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 9  

Apparently, an off duty police officer in San Antonio shot a crazed gun-wielding man at a movie theater Sunday night.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/san-antonio-movie-t heater-shooting_n_2315139.html

The off duty officer shot the assailant before he shot anyone (looks like he missed and his gun jammed).  So instead of a deeper reflection on the flaws with our gun laws, I'm just cringing in preparation of the "see, we told you so"s from the gun lobby.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 10  

I'm just cringing in preparation of the "see, we told you so"s from the gun lobby.

I've seen such arguments in the days since the shooting.

My response would be that people can snap (even sane, responsible gun owners) and that it isn't a good idea to think we can fight guns with guns. I mean, it's not the Wild West, is it? 

Why isn't that same argument used about weapons of mass destruction? Would the pro-gun lobby say, "This country and that country is developing more and more nukes and biological weapons, so we need even more nukes and biological weapons to fight them with"? No, they actually talk about reducing such weapons. They never use the "fight fire with fire" argument to describe other types of weapons.

Of course, there's a difference between guns and weapons of mass destruction, but I think the logic is the same, in a certain sense. No-one thinks we can have peace by nations building more and more weapons, why is it assumed that more guns is the answer?

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 11  

it's not the Wild West, is it

---

Sadly, even Wild West wasn't the Wild West.  Gun control laws in the American West are one of the best examples of effective gun control in our history.

But you can't convince that to people who think Clint Eastwood movies are documentaries.  They prefer the "truthiness" of the false American narrative.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2012 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 12  

I am not here to attack a person's faith, but in my mind, a "miracle" would have been the gunman's gun jamming or his car crashing. A "miracle" during 9/11 would have been the passengers all managing to overpower the terrorists and land the plane safely. I don't know, I just don't like the word "miracle" being used to describe survivors, when a good proportion of people died. Again, if there is a survivor in these events, then good, I hope they get the counselling and support they need, but I don't like the word being used.

The religious crap that comes out of people's mouths and keyboards after events like this disgusts me. Last night, a relative of mine posted something on Facebook that implied that not allowing prayer in school is to blame for the shootings. That person is now no longer on my Friends list.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version