Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: Another school shooting (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 1  

"Another reason guns maintain their popularity in the U.S. apart from the easy availability is the way tv shows and movies glamourise them"
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------

How the hell would you do all those zombie apocalypse movies if people wouldn't get easy access to guns?? If there's a zombie breakout in my city I (and probably everyone I know except for a friend, who's a cop) would be chasing off zombies with sticks and stones! No fun...

ps. I really hope that picture is a joke...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 2  

On another forum I frequent, the vast, vast majority of the posters there are gun-owning conservatives. They are arguing that the regulation should be in a) shoot-em-up video games, and b) mental health. The fact he was armed with three guns has no bearing on this whatsoever. After all, no one is looking to ban cars because people are killed in accidents. I'm, apparantly, jumping on an anti-gun bandwagon because it is fashionable to do so at this moment.

I'll say here what I said there. Guns are made for one thing and one thing only. To kill. You can use sugarcoated terms like "security" and "threat", but there is no denying that the gun was created with only one purpose in mind. And that is to kill. Period.

Back to Top profile | search

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

I still can't understand the comparison pro-gun supporters often use between cars and guns!? Both can kill people... and...?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 4  

I still can't understand the comparison pro-gun supporters often use between cars and guns!? Both can kill people... and...?

••

I wish the government would make that comparison! Think of the hoops you have to jump thru to get a driver's license, compared to how easy it is to get a gun!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 5  

On another forum I frequent, the vast, vast majority of the posters there are gun-owning conservatives. They are arguing that the regulation should be in a) shoot-em-up video games, and b) mental health.

••

Let's ban everything that has ever caused the death of innocents.

Start with the Bible.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

The gun/car comparison really irks me. Cars are designed to get a person from one place to another, the fact that they sometimes kill a person is a tragedy, but they are not designed with that purpose, unlike guns which are designed to injure/kill.

Taking that ludicrous argument to it's natural conclusion, one could argue that all sorts of things kill people. Almost anything you can think of could harm or kill someone. I knew someone who was injured badly once when a golf ball hit him, but that golf ball was created to be hit into holes. No-one can make a valid comparison between cars/golf balls/anything and guns.

What concerns me is mental health. My grandmother, who is dead, had Alzheimer's disease. It completely changed her personality once it took a strong hold of her, later in her life. At one point, she threw a glass bowl at my grandfather when she didn't recognize who he was and then kicked out at him (thankfully, that incident only happened once). Hypothetically speaking, because gun laws are different over here, what if my grandmother had been a gun owner, a responsible gun owner, but had, instead of throwing a glass bowl, used a gun in a brief moment of insanity? Yes, a hypothetical situation, and one that never happened, but I am only asking "What if?"

I really hope there is change now, although it is unfortunate that it takes a tragedy to bring change. Such incidents are rare here in the UK, but in 1996, there were the Dunblane shootings in Scotland, which led to tighter handgun controls. I just hope the American people don't give up and let the next news story overshadow this event. I hope they keep writing to their MPs and pushing for change.

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

but they are not designed with that purpose, unlike guns which are designed to injure/kill

I'm not speaking for anyone else here, but I think the gun/auto analogy is that to get a license to drive a car, everyone must demonstrate a bare minimum of safety knowledge and competency to be allowed to operate a vehicle.  On top of that, you must pay for insurance for the privilege to drive. 

Any shithead with a clean criminal record can legally buy a gun and there is no minimum expectation of safe operation and competency.  Gun owners are not required to purchase handgun owner insurance (which would be interesting to see).

Wasn't there a news story in the past few weeks about a guy who bought a gun, took it to his vehicle, where his child was waiting, and he accidentally shot his child in the head?  What is the bare minimum of competence we expect from our fellow citizens?

Edited by Craig Robinson on 17 December 2012 at 1:45pm

Bill Conway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 8  

Seems like this guy and him mom were "preppers" - stockpiling food and guns for the "end of days".

I suspect this could be a 12/21/12 thing - where the kid was all hyped up about the end of the world and - in his whacked mind - put his mom and as many people he could "out of their misery" so they wouldnt have to face whatever he thought would happen Friday.

I am not concerned so much about the end of the Mayan calandar as I am about what some kooks may do who actually believe it.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

Read this comment from another forum thread:

"The NRA has successfully gotten the high ground in this debate by being organized, well-funded and by using their access to scare our elected officials into supporting them outright or by their silence. The only way to beat them is to play their game better than them. Want common sense gun control? Organize, donate and vote."

Good point, isn't it?

-C!

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 10  

This is why I didn't watch the President's address:

Talk, and talk, and more talk.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 11  

"The NRA has successfully gotten the high ground in this debate by being organized, well-funded and by using their access to scare our elected officials into supporting them outright or by their silence. The only way to beat them is to play their game better than them. Want common sense gun control? Organize, donate and vote."

Good point, isn't it?

••

Paging Bill Gates. . . .

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 12  

I have no idea if anyone here watches The Voice or not, but they opened tonight's show with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO64urOFNaY&feature=share

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version