Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: Another school shooting (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 1  

Something else that occurred to me: I think if any adult (someone older than 18) lives in your house and has access to your weapons, that person should have to register and be subject to a background check, as well.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Friedman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2012 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

This man Lanza and the perpetrators of all these kinds of atrocities are sick.  If found alive, they should be executed.

But the increasing incidence of such events is evidence of an ever sicker growing society.

It's not the Lanzas I'm concerned about.  That's an isolated act.  I'm concerned about the millions of people who may be feeling what ever he felt, but don't go on a spree.  What happens to a society when it becomes full of these silent time bombs?  What are the underpinnings of such acts, if any?

And why was there a time in America when these things (among many other terrible unreported things) did NOT happen nearly as much? 

Edited by Greg Friedman on 15 December 2012 at 9:25pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2012 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

"And why was there a time in America when these things (among many other terrible unreported things) did NOT happen nearly as much?  "

Because they didn't have nearly so many guns (at everyday Wal-Mart shopper prices!) to enact their madness with? 

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2012 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 4  

You could buy pistols through mail-order ads not so long ago. No laws on machine guns either until 1934. My uncle had a fully-automatic M-16 he built through mail-order parts back in the late sixties. 

There is more to it than simply firearms and their easy access. 

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2012 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 5  

Neil Lindholm, thanks for posting that link. That is exactly what I am talking about.

Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 6  

So, what happens now? The mourning of lost lives will subside and then the media will distract us all with something new... but the debate on gun control will not be resolved and THAT makes me sad and furious. Am I the only one that feels enough is enough?? How many more should lose their lives??

-C!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2012 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 7  

Robbie, I would also write to the media, and ask them about their share of responsibility. I would ask if the culture of instant celebrities in USA is not the real issue behind it. I would ask them to come up with an alternative to make these attacks public.

There are many ways someone could achieve "instant celebrity status" from going on reality shows to ranting about politics on YouTube. The media are rarely blameless in a lot of areas, but it is the individual who chose to fire the weapon who bears the responsibility.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 December 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 8  

You could buy pistols through mail-order ads not so long ago. No laws on machine guns either until 1934. My uncle had a fully-automatic M-16 he built through mail-order parts back in the late sixties.

There is more to it than simply firearms and their easy access.

••

Of course. Where do you want to start?

Watergate forever shattered the faith of the American people in their government in Washington, elevating the feeling some have that we need guns to protect ourselves from the very officials we elect.

24 hours news channels turned local stories into national events, and made instant "celebrities" out of people most of us would otherwise not have heard of. Psychologists have long been aware of the phenomenon of killing someone more famous than oneself in order to become famous. Shootings like this make it even easier. Quantity over "quality".

Intensive news coverage of such events as this also turn them into "how-to" manuals. No rational person is ever going to be inspired by something like this, but the irrational are now bombarded with such things, and are able to easily access the kinds of weapons necessary to make them happen.

We have also spent several decades now making excuses for people who are off the beam -- Michael Jackson, anyone?   It's so much easier than having to deal with them directly, and also so much cheaper. Until something like this happens.

But mark this: there will be much chest thumping from various officials about how "something has to be done", and in a couple of weeks or a month, there'll be something else dominating the airwaves. A nice. juicy celebrity divorce, maybe, with lots of vitriol, to make the "journalists" and the politicians forget the dead children. Again.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2012 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 9  

I honestly believe that the main reason for the killing was the fact that the attacker was 100% sure that his name would be on national television, that he would be a celebrity (a bad one, but still a celebrity) he would be remembered as the evil child killer, people would talk about him, his life and maybe, they would even make a movie about him. That is the real issue.

I'm not disputing this.  

In fact, I believe in many cases, that is the motivating factor (coupled with/augmented by whatever horrible mental disorders would lead one to such thoughts).

But it begs the question: what good is being a celebrity, even a bad one, if you kill yourself and won't "enjoy" the fruits of your labors? This crackpot, like many others that (literally!) bite the bullet when their rampage is done, don't even know the level of infamy they've attained.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2012 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 10  

But mark this: there will be much chest thumping from various officials about how "something has to be done", and in a couple of weeks or a month, there'll be something else dominating the airwaves. A nice. juicy celebrity divorce, maybe, with lots of vitriol, to make the "journalists" and the politicians forget the dead children. Again.

Yep.  It's what "we" do.  

The majority of Americans are like cats chasing laser pointers around a room.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2012 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 11  

Charles I agree with you.
Here is one thing that we can do.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2012 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 12  

I honestly believe that the main reason for the killing was the fact that the attacker was 100% sure that his name would be on national television, that he would be a celebrity (a bad one, but still a celebrity) he would be remembered as the evil child killer, people would talk about him, his life and maybe, they would even make a movie about him. That is the real issue.

I'm not disputing this.  

In fact, I believe in many cases, that is the motivating factor (coupled with/augmented by whatever horrible mental disorders would lead one to such thoughts).

-----

I'll dispute it. Did no one learn anything from Columbine? In the wake of that shooting, there were so many assertions as to the motives of the shooters, much of which turned out to be misinformation. And in the wake of that, the nonconformist students who were formerly bullied were then regarded with suspicion as potential killers by the other students and school administrators.

Even with this shooting, there's misinformation. The initial reports were that Lanza's mother was a teacher, now they are saying she was not associated with the school and was a stay-at-home mom. Wait until we get a clearer picture and some perspective before trying to make some grand sweeping claim about why he did this.

As for the notion that society is getting sicker, having recently visited an exhibition about medieval torture devices, I'd say we have the capacity to be depraved as we ever were. Just the devices that were used to punish women for being uppity or gossipy were stomach churning, and the idea that these were socially acceptable to use was a bit depressing. And the devices to punish heretics used by supposedly holy men? I don't even understand how one could even consider using them. I'd argue that we have become less tolerant of this type of violence, while retaining the propensity for it, so when it does happen, we feel things are getting worse.

As for this magical period when horrible things like this did not happen in the US, there was a time when things like the extermination of Native Americans in order to expand territory, the abuse of blacks for slave labor, and the lynching of blacks by the "heroic" KKK were all considered tolerable by sizable amounts of the population. I'd assert that gun violence in the US isn't caused by the loss of our values, but because we refuse to let go of our outdated ones. Where some other countries seem to want to distance themselves from their violent pasts, America still seems to want to cling to the idea that violence is the primary option in getting our way.

The difference between now and the past? Population is bigger, so that while the percentage of crazies may have stayed the same, there are still more of them, and they are exposed to more people. And modern firearms make it more efficient to kill people. I think the latter is something that can be addressed immediately.

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version