Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Q For Mr. Byrne - Magazines About Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2012 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

Mr Byrne, there have been many magazines devoted to comics over time, such as COMICS SCENE and HERO ILLUSTRATED. I have read some of them.

Do comic-related magazines add any value to the industry? 

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 23 November 2012 at 2:53pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 November 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 2  

This is a barn door that was opened, and left open, a long time ago. A bell that cannot be unrung. And all kinds of other mixed metaphors.

Basically, I've come to the conclusion that the LESS the buying/reading public knows about the personalities and processes behind the comics, the HEALTHIER it would be for the industry.

Just buy the characters, read the stories, eventually find something else and move on. That's how it worked for a long time. And I think it worked better that way.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2012 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thank you for the answer.

As I've said before, the first I knew of the Superman/Spider-Man crossover was WHEN I SAW IT ON THE SHELF! Wow, what a moment that was.

No doubt if I had been reading comic related magazines then (I don't think there were any), there'd have been pages of analysis and previews, etc. 

I don't read any comic-related magazines now. I have no desire to do, but I guess the genie is out of the bottle.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2012 at 1:26am | IP Logged | 4  

In the pre-internet days,they were a good way of finding out about upcoming comics like the one Robbie mentioned,especially for those of us who didn`t have a LCS.In the U.K. in the late 70`,early 80`s they were very few and only located in major cities and were not easy to reach for most kids.Nowadays there is too much info available.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2012 at 2:19am | IP Logged | 5  

This is a barn door that was opened, and left open, a long time ago. A
bell that cannot be unrung.

====
Unfortunately, I totally agree JB. Those magazines ( whatever the
format) have been a part of my life since I started reading comic
books. I started with AMAZING HEROES and COMICS INTERVIEW
and went right into COMICS SCENE, WIZARD, and HERO
ILLUSTRATED. They got progressively worse too. AMAZING
HEROES wasn't that bad, but reading WIZARD was about vas
informative as ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY or worse.

Sadly, with the short ordering most comic shops have to do these
days just to keep the doors open, if current websites didn't exist, you
might never get your hands on some books these days.   
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 November 2012 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 6  

Sadly, with the short ordering most comic shops have to do these days just to keep the doors open, if current websites didn't exist, you might never get your hands on some books these days.   

••

Yes -- as the industry stands these days, it's rather like a man with a gangrenous leg going to a doctor to get treatment for his gangrenous toe.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2012 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 7  

In many ways, I liked it better when I knew less about the creators of comics (I don't mean JB; this forum is an excellent educational experience).

The differences I see between generations of creators is disturbing. When I've read interviews with older creators, I saw that they all treated making comics as a job. Some loved it, some say it only as a paycheck or as a stepping stone to comic strips or advertising or other work, but all acted professionally, met deadlines, did the job to the best of their ability and seemed to put the work before their personal interests. I do not get the same impression with many of the more recent creators and I think it shows in the work.

Looking at Marvel up to about 1990 or so, for example, is like thinking about the construction of a building. The Golden Age creators made the foundation. In the Silver Age, Lee, Kirby, Ditko, etc began building something bigger. Roy Thomas and JB and the generation of the 70s built more floors and the 80s made the building even taller, each new shift adding to the work of its predeccesors and the structure was tall and strong.

Current Marvel? Those aren't architects and builders. Those are kids playing with blocks. One little boy makes a Spider-Man or Avengers the way he wants to and then the next brat comes along, knocks the blocks down and makes his own thing, and the cycle repeats over and over.  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 November 2012 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 8  

Looking at Marvel up to about 1990 or so, for example, is like thinking about the construction of a building. The Golden Age creators made the foundation. In the Silver Age, Lee, Kirby, Ditko, etc began building something bigger. Roy Thomas and JB and the generation of the 70s built more floors and the 80s made the building even taller, each new shift adding to the work of its predeccesors and the structure was tall and strong.

••

That 1990s dating is very generous. I think the rot set it a long time before then.

A big part of the problem lies in the shrinking of the marketplace. Those who wanted to be "on the inside", party to all the backstage gossip and spoilers, used to be very much the minority, even in the most ardent corners of fandom. But as the industry has suicidally shrunk itself, the outer fringes have moved closer and closer to the center, until, in many ways, they have BECOME the center.

From this springs the affected ennui, the supercilious attitudes, and, of course, the (often malicious) rumor-mongering. None of which existed in any real sense for the first several decades of this hobby. Sure, there were inevitably those fans who suffered from "taxpayer mentality" ("I pay your salary!!") but they were the minority, and easy enough to ignore, in the days before the internet. Now, tho I'm sure we'd like to think they are still a minority, they are a LOUD minority.

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2012 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 9  

I had no LCS either.  Being a comic fan was kind of a solitary venture back in the 70's-80's.  The only hype I got was from the "Hype Box".  Yes, I had a couple of friends that also read comics, and we would compare notes, but most of the time I poured over the spin rack to discover a great new artist or writer alone. 

Sure, the creators were celebs to us fans, but we didn't even know what they looked like.  There was zero behind the scenes dirt.  The work spoke for itself as Steve Ditko says.

What amazed me -- I picked up a comic magazine, and it was tearing down artists and writers.  This would NEVER have happend when I was reading comics in 78.  NEVER!  I was stunned!  The earlier magazines were about helping the industry, not causing drama and strife.

Somewhere along the line, the adults left the building.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2012 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 10  

I have mentioned parallels between comics and US wrestling before (I did a topic on it), but I truly believe there are many. Another one I get from reading the topic is about how we've been allowed to "peek behind the curtain".

Wrestling, in not too different a way to comics, presented entertainment to the fans. It was never about backstage gossip or spoilers. It was never about the writers. It was simply about the wrestlers, just like comics was about the characters.

Then in the 90s, more and more wrestling magazines began probing backstage and writing about backstage gossip, the writers, the egos, rather than the actual wrestling matches. True, this had started years previously with insider newsletters, but mainstream wrestling magazines simply concentrated on what was happening in the ring. 

Comics, much like wrestling, has become too much about what is happening behind the scenes and the gossip, rather than the actual product and I think that is sad.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2012 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 11  

Over the years I have collected a ton of interviews Byrne did for those comic magazines. This is SOME of my collection...

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2012 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 12  

Sorry for the sideways photo... I'm not at work, so I can't correct that...

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version