Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Artists who should be "superstars" but aren’t. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2012 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

Yep Wallace, I would have to say he is - there are a few artists that don't take on regular series, but often do high profile limited series or story arcs or do a lot of covers.  Alan Davis is definitely one of those (so are Brian Bolland, Art Adams and J. Scott Campbell)

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 12:11am | IP Logged | 2  

Like some, I don't know what "superstar" means. Well known? Beloved? I'd name some of the folks noted on this thread but will opt for underappreciated pros like John Buscema, Jim Aparo, Nick Cardy, Don Newton and Gil Kane. None are unfamiliar names, but certainly not trumpeted like the ballyhooed "geniuses" like Liefeld and McFarlane. :p
Back to Top profile | search

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 12:28am | IP Logged | 3  

Mark: Like some, I don't know what "superstar" means. 

--

I agree! 

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 12:28am | IP Logged | 4  

To me a superstar artist is one that can sell a book or boost sales, just
by having his name on it. Since everybody has gone to writing full
scripts, the writer are now considered the superstars so we don't get
as many. It might happen more often, but today's artists don't really
seem to be the story collaborators they once were. I could be wrong,
but I get the impression that a lot of writers don't welcome input from
the artist and have a "Just draw what I write and don't f#!k with my
script" approach.

I listed who I did by looking at the artists the Big Two actually give
mention to, when promoting a book.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 12:29am | IP Logged | 5  

Alan Davis is a superstar, right? JRJR is too. They get high profile books. 

I'm not sure how this game works...

Jovi Neri
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 4:20am | IP Logged | 6  

I like the work of Mark Simpson - aka Jock among the modern artists. I also agree with Steve Epting and Lee Weeks.

By older artists, I have always wondered about Curt Swan.  If "superstar" is measured by the value of his original art - Swan's pieces are quite underpriced for someone who has redesigned the character.

Swan to Superman is like Romita to Spider-Man but why does the latter's work command much higher prices?

And another would be inker Josef Rubinstein.  The volume of his body of work is just tremendous. He was worked with more pencillers and covered more eras than anyone - from Kirby, to Adams, all the way to McFarlane and Lee, and even a few no-name guys who pencil digitally and he inks traditionally.

Well because of the volume of his work, his art shouldn't be worth much, but I think he should write a book about inking all these artists - comparing their styles, comparing the eras, and the needs of the editors. I am sure he has a lot of stories to tell. And because of the varieties of styles he has inked, his book can also be an instructional on how to ink different pencil styles.

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 5:08am | IP Logged | 7  

I mentioned Alan Davis just because I think he's not exactly at the top of his game when it comes to high profile projects, and he should.
I think JRjr and Oliver Coipel are the only 2 true "Superstar" artists at Marvel right now (take a look at the last few "Blockbuster Crossovers" from Marvel - House of M, Siege, AvX, World War Hulk) and Alan Davis is not inferior to them in any point. I'd love to see him tackle AvX with Coipel and JRjr...

I might be wrong or even exaggerating things a bit, because I see this at a distance and I don't follow all the internet "gossip" around comics, but these guys (Coipel and JRjr) generate a lot of buzz! Maybe more than any other artist these days. I feel Alan Davis is more of a respected, reliable, talented artist but not exactly a "Superstar".
But, like I said, maybe you guys there see things from a different POV and have a different opinion...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 8  

I mentioned Alan Davis just because I think he's not exactly at the top
of his game when it comes to high profile projects, and he should.

=====
It's possible that Davis doesn't want one of these big crossovers. As I
understand it, they're a bit of a headache.

I would list him as a superstar considering the fact that every time he's
attached to a series, someone from Marvel is on either CBR, Bleeding
Cool, or IGN screaming, "Hey guys, Alan Davis is drawing this one!"
And rightfully so. Davis may be the best all around artist in the
business. The only thing that man can't seem to draw well is
Wolverine's mask. Otherwise, his figures, backgrounds, and
storytelling are almost without equal.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 9  

To me a superstar artist is one that can sell a book or boost sales, just by having his name on it. Since everybody has gone to writing full scripts, the writer are now considered the superstars so we don't get as many. It might happen more often, but today's artists don't really seem to be the story collaborators they once were.

••

Based on the high percentage of readers/fans I have met over the years who have assumed that the books were being done full script all along, I don't think I can entirely support this assumption. After all, I became a "superstar" despite the fact that most people seemed to assume (to my great frustration) that Claremont was telling me what to draw.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 10  

As a kid, I thought that the writer and artist sat together and did the comic.  

Edited by Shawn Kane on 12 November 2012 at 8:33am

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 11  

Shawn, when I was a kid, I did too!

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 12  

"Based on the high percentage of readers/fans I have met over the years who have assumed that the books were being done full script all along, I don't think I can entirely support this assumption. After all, I became a "superstar" despite the fact that most people seemed to assume (to my great frustration) that Claremont was telling me what to draw."

As a kid, this is exactly what I thought. Heck, I thought this as a young adult. I don't think I understood how it worked until my 30s. I really didn't have an interest in peeking behind the curtain to know how it worked before then. I didn't read Stan's Soapbox. I bought Marvel Age, but that was largely for plot summaries for upcoming books so I could determine what I would be buying. I didn't really read the artist interviews. I was in my late teens when Image was coming out, but I didn't care and skipped out on most all of that.  I admit it was the writers that were my superstars.  

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version