Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Commissions Q for the board (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2012 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 1  

The JB commission I thought of a few years ago, before JB started doing Star Trek comics.

Kirk, Spock, and McCoy around a "Space Seed" style suspended animation pod. McCoy is scanning with his tricorder, Spock is raising an eyebrow in fascination, and Kirk is smiling in recognition as the pod slides open to reveal...Captain America!  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 09 November 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 2  

A Wonder Woman - Captain America comic by JB, set in WWII, with the Red Skull and Baroness von Gunther as the antagonists.  

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2012 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 3  

George Perez

The entire Legion of Superheroes (late 70's/early 80's) & allies vs. the Time Trapper and his army of DC's best (worst) villains plucked from time: Sinestro, Mongul, Cyborg Superman, Baron Bliztkrieg, Professor Zoom, Black Adam, Eclipso etc etc.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Olson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2012 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 4  

Since spending trillions to have an army of scientists invent a time machine is probably cheating to get a Jack Kirby commission done, I'd like to see JB re imagine Captain America Number 1, in it's entirety, pencils only.  

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 November 2012 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 5  

Dream commission. Walt Simonson: Thor vs. Darkseid 20x30 with plenty of Asgardian and Fourth World characters in the background. One day I will rub enough pennies together to convince Walt to do it. Or die trying.

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2012 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

The "unlimited money" part makes it interesting, since you could probably get some really unexpected commissions that way. 

How about a giant oil painting of Calvin and Hobbes from Bill Watterson?  Sergio Aragones recreating one of George Perez's busiest covers, like something from Crisis or JLA/Avengers?  Jack Davis drawing the X-Men?  Bill Sienkiewicz painted recreation of the cover of G.I. Joe #21?

Got it--Sergio Aragones recreates the cover to Superman vs. Muhammad Ali, and the entire audience is made up of cartoonists and their characters. 

I've heard that Steve Ditko's turned down offers of more than $100k for just one new Spider-Man commission.  Wonder what it would take to make that actually happen?     

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2012 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 7  

I've heard that Steve Ditko's turned down offers of more than $100k for just one new Spider-Man commission.  Wonder what it would take to make that actually happen? 

Certainly not money.  That's been proven.

I like Paul's idea so much I might pitch in!!!!

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 8  

Sorry for the thread drift, congrats Paul on being interviewed by CAF.

Money is no object Dream commission: JB giving the first 50 issues of the Fantastic Four the "Chapter One" treatment he gave Spider-Man.

On a more realistic note, I would like to see a solid "any character" artist like, Buscema, Byrne, Perez, etc. do a Marvel or DC all out hero or villain attack with a large number of characters. Something akin to this piece by Carlos Pacheco: Heroes Return

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2012 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 9  

Bruce Timm doing all the Marvel women that ever were created in color and nude (tastefully done, of course, like in his great book Naughty and Nice)!  

Edited by Brennan Voboril on 09 November 2012 at 4:06pm

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2012 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 10  

Man this thread is putting me in the mood to spend money!!!  =0)

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2012 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 11  

I've had the idea for the last few years (but sadly, not the cash) to have JB draw the Marvel Family (Captain and Mary) vs. Captain Mar-Vell and Ms. Marvel, maybe with Rick Jones and Billy Batson observing from another dimension...

Joe Alexander
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2012 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 12  

As I started to contemplate what would be the coolest, my brain just exploded--too many possibilities! The JSA/INVADERS vs. Nazis mentioned came to mind as well as the Legion one (I would tweak it by asking JB to pencil it and George Perez ink it so I could have my two faves on one piece--I am greedy).

One I have always kind of wanted would be a darker piece where Batman is facing off against Dracula, where Batman has to enter his castle in order to rescue someone. Something menacing, where the calm, collected Batman must face terror. Perhaps with The Wolfman crouching nearby. All by JB of course (he can do anything!)

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version