Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: JBF Reading/Viewing Group: Spider-Man Chapter One #1 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2012 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

I won't go too far off-topic, but due to an impression a teacher made on me, I wish I could remember some of what he taught about not overusing words.

Another word I dislike is the overuse of "just" in a sentence. I had a friend who had served in the Army. When I first knew him, I asked him what rank he had been/what his role was. His reply was, "Just a private." I said, "Why say 'just' a private? It's probably one of the most important ranks in the Army?"

Another friend I had was a Healthcare Assistant in a hospital, so junior to even a new nurse. She described herself as "just a Healthcare Assistant" but it seems the wrong word to use, given she's performing vital functions like cleaning hospital beds and helping patients with toileting.

Anyway, as it's me that's gone off-topic (I apologize), I'll get back on track now and say that I feel SPIDER-MAN: CHAPTER ONE was a great thing to have side-by-side with the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko stories. I would have liked to have seen more "Chapter One" stories for other superheroes.

I don't know how important this is, but I know two people who don't ever go online and aren't into Byrne bashing or having an agenda. They really like it. They accept it on it's own merits and got a lot of enjoyment out of it.
Back to Top profile | search

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 2  

Back to the thread, I've never read this series (correct usage of absolute here) but I like what I see so far. This issue is particularly Ditko-ish. And in a good way of course. 

Gary Olson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

I've generally approved of JB's stories and art.

Sorry to get above my station.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 November 2012 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 4  

I won't go too far off-topic, but due to an impression a teacher made on me, I wish I could remember some of what he taught about not overusing words.

Another word I dislike is the overuse of "just" in a sentence. I had a friend who had served in the Army. When I first knew him, I asked him what rank he had been/what his role was. His reply was, "Just a private." I said, "Why say 'just' a private? It's probably one of the most important ranks in the Army?"

••

My hackles rise when some artistic ignoramus, learning that I sometimes use a lightbox or Artograph to copy photos or 3D renderings into my art, refers to this as "just tracing".

Gary Olson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2012 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

Using a lightbox is tracing? Tell that to an animator!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version