Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: Hurricane "Sandy" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2012 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 1  

They moved up the landfall placement again. to the Ocean/Monmouth County NJ areas. Which places the bullseye right near my house. I'm a little over 2 miles in land from the Atlantic Ocean. So a lot of towns have already put in place Mandatory evacuations starting tonight and running into tomorrow early afternoon.  The power company has already stated for where I am to be without power for up to 10 days. During the hurricane last year power was down for 5 here. So I expect at least that long again. Gonna be fun......Good luck to eveyone in the path....
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2012 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

My wife's company closed the office tomorrow and our son's school
was cancelled - if the bridges are open, I'm going to attempt to go to
work.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2012 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

Michael Penn wrote:
Everything around me in the NYC area is getting shut down. And yet the weather forecast just said maybe as little as 2 inches of rain by me. Seems they expecting tidal floods mostly. I'm not even hearing concerns about high winds.

The concern with the NYC metro area is the flood tide.  When you have winds piling up seawater from the south and east, that's like taking a giant oar and creating a big wake that stacks up in Long Island Sound, which has little more than a narrow tidal channel to funnel through.  Couple that with the storm surge rising in Raritan Bay and plugging up the Hudson River, and you've got a predicted 7-11 foot tide that could swamp Battery Park.  I imagine that the nightmare scenario has the flood finding its way into the subway and tunnels.

The way the storm track is currently going, it'll maintain that crossing of southern New Jersey with the eye passing over the Delaware River between Wilmington and Philadelphia.  NOAA forcasts have the winds increasing to over 40 mph tomorrow night with gusts reaching 70.  Whether we get the full brunt of the rain bands where I live and work or not, the workday is going to be fun enough as it is.  I'm packing my camera for this.

Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2012 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 4  

This is the second year in a row that NYC has had to almost shut down because of a hurricane. Is this legitimately climate change or just a coincidence? I lived in NYC for 15 years and never saw this.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2012 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

Missed a hurricane in Biloxi,Mississippi back in 1985 when I was in tech school at Keesler Air Force Base by a few weeks.Left Myrtle Beach in 1989 as Hurricane Hugo was on it's way in then back in 2007 I got nailed by one here in Cincinnati,Ohio go figure.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2012 at 4:36am | IP Logged | 6  

Looks like Halloween is going to suck for a lot of people. The last trajectory showed that hurricane headed right for my house by Thursday. It'll be just high wind and heavy rain by then but it's time to grab some water and other provisions just in case the power goes. Stay safe, everyone!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ben Mcvay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2012 at 6:14am | IP Logged | 7  

I was heading into the office to start my first day at work when I got contacted that the office was closed. I will be doing orientation from my basement. Currently it slightly above a drizzle. It is expected to pick up later this afternoon. I am in in Northern Virginia. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 October 2012 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 8  

Right now, it's quite bright outside my Studio window, after a blustery night. The clouds even seem to be moving in the wrong direction to be part of the leading edge of Sandy.

Still have fingers crossed that she'll stay on course out to sea!

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2012 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 9  

The latest track this morning put the centerline of the forecast cone right over my home.  NOAA.gov puts the storm over north Delaware at hurricane strength at 2 AM tomorrow morning, with a television report this morning stating that the storm would be over Port Penn at that time.  This means that I'll end up under the eye wall in the most destructive sector of the storm as it passes by.  It's almost certain that I'll end up offline for a little while.

I was surprised when my brother called to inform me that our workplace closed for the day.  I guess the Governor calling a state of emergency and the manufacturing plants that supply our warehouse stock closing had a hand in that.  With Sandy still blowing throughout the morning tomorrow and drawing in rain bands, I'm not sure if I'll be working again until Wednesday now.

On the bright side, I have a camera ready for taking stock of the damage.

Ben Mcvay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2012 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 10  

On GMA, they just reported that the HMS Bounty just sank off the NC coast. 14 people rescued. 2 missing. First, I had no idea that ship still existed. Second, why would anybody be on it at sea during a hurricane?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2012 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 11  

Don't think the rain is going to be an issue for me and my house is on high ground, so no flood -- ah, but if the power goes out...! NO! Please, no.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 October 2012 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 12  

… just reported that the HMS Bounty just sank off the NC coast. 14 people rescued. 2 missing. First, I had no idea that ship still existed.

••

Replica. The original Bounty was destroyed by the mutineers.

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version