Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: Hurricane "Sandy" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 November 2012 at 11:49pm | IP Logged | 1  

For centuries the human race lived without power and running water.

•••

I was really hoping that this time we might get thru an entire thread about a natural disaster without someone pointing out how "spoiled" we are today, and how people in the past were so much worse off.

Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2012 at 12:56am | IP Logged | 2  

They died a whole lot earlier back then too.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2012 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 3  

It always seems to be a race between neighbors to see who can clean up the fastest.  My street is mostly little old ladies barely holding on to their homes, so in snowstorms, it's mostly me and my husband shoveling everyone's walks and steps. 

In this instance, our next door neighbor hired a yard crew to come and clean up, so her yard was SPECTACULAR almost immediately after the storm -- even the mulch was neat!  We look like shit-hole central in comparison...  but that's what the weekend's for.  C'mon by if you feel like lending a hand!

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2012 at 4:59am | IP Logged | 4  

All the horror stories that we're being bombarded with from the wake of Sandy now makes me wonder if I ought to get off the horse and be prepared in case it happens in my neck of the woods.  Maybe I won't have a tree fall down on my house, or a flood tide sweep it off the foundations, but I'd be affected by the power outage that occurs in any case, be it hurricane, nor'easter, or derecho thunderstorm front.  That charcoal grill and the idea of loading a freezer with empty beverage containers is more attractive by the minute!

Clifford Boudreaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2012 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 5  

These barrier island towns are a huge part of my youth, and when I have visited in the last few years, the rush of memories is invigorating.  But these pics are just stomach churning.  I can only think of the long term damage from Katrina, in which the mold that formed on the homes from extended sea water exposure made the homes unlivable.  I fear the damage is even worse than I can imagine.

Not to trivialize the damage, because I've lived through tons of hurricanes and they're always devastating in the effected area.

But one of the problems with Katrina's clean-up was the length of time it took for people to be let back in to clean up. Houses that received minimal damage were left exposed to the elements too long and needed extensive renovation and salvageable homes became unsavageable. Most of what the Jersey shore is going through is what Biloxi, Grand Isle, and other coastal cities and towns deal with, but on a more expensive level since the area is much more populous and built up.

The New York City subway system is probably having Katrina style problems, where some bad becomes much, much worse the longer it has to remain flooded. Same is true of any community whose levees break and find themselves underwater for a week.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2012 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 6  

Our power just returned in my neighborhood. Hopefully in time to save the freezers full of meat from going bad. That, the lack of gas  and the boredom were the biggest problems we had to deal with nothing compared to many others and i'm aware of that so i'm not complaining. I hope everyone else recovers soon.  
 It helped getting thru it by the use of a power converter. Which I used to charge phones and laptops via the car. We also did the neighborly thing and charged phones for the neighbors.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2012 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 7  

When Chicago's subway got flooded 20 years ago, it was nowhere near the destruction that NY is having to face right now.  Though it took only a few days to get the water out, it took weeks before it was fully operational.  In that very, very small regard, I can relate to what some people are having to face in getting to work and not having their normal commute to do so.  I have no idea what additional public transportation methods NYers have in getting into Manhatten other than buses, but it's going to be a very tough few weeks for them, even after things are back to nearly normal "at ground level".

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 03 November 2012 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 8  

Days after the storm passed, the sky around here remained bleak and gray; only today has the sun finally poked through.

Seeing the destruction of other towns and other people who are still feeling the aftermath of the storm makes me realize how lucky we were in my area; I can't consider two hours with no power to even be a minor inconvenience.  I felt almost guilty zipping in & out of a gas station yesterday, knowing that people just 30 minutes north are having to wait in line for gas.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2012 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 9  

With the news of another potentially bad storm coming this week. I'm even more thankful the power has come back on. I hope everyone else gets theirs soon.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2012 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

My power came back at two this afternoon! Regular internet is still down, but Im thrilled to have just had a hot shower and be able to see without candles. 

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2012 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

Do you have like an olympic arena where you can swim and this case, just go there wash up if you don't have water? Do you have food so you are alright? Are most houses even though I have seen scary pictures, are most houses intact? What is happening to the crane in new York? I hope you are alright all people in America, you are a wonderful people.

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 12  

Power came back in my section of town about 2:30 or so this afternoon. I think a good deal of power in Trumbull, Monroe, and Fairfield is back up, although Monroe's percentage of restored home may be a little lower - Monroe had more trees down than in Trumbull and Fairfield.
Looks like schools will reopen in Trumbull, Monroe, Fairfield on Monday, although I understand Norwalk schools won't open Monday.

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version