Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11
Topic: DC retains rights to Superman (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2012 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

There's nothing inherently wrong with being work for hire.
Anyone on my staff has to sign a work for hire agreement and I've signed work for hire agreements myself on rare occasions.

The issue of work for hire comes when the agreement isn't clear and/or not in writing and it depends on the specific circumstance of the job. I would never sign one for an editorial illustration assignment but have for doing an on-air piece for Nick that relied on their logo.

Artists work this way all of the time and while it should be cautionary...it only seems to become a moral issue if someone creates a cash cow. 
Back to Top profile | search

Clifford Boudreaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2012 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 2  

On a side-note. Prepare to see the music industry do a reverse Marv Wolfman in the coming months, as they try to pretend all these musicians they gave recording contracts to 35 years ago were really work-for-hire.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2012 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 3  

In related news, Attorney Marc Toberoff has appeared before a three-judge panel to argue for the overturning of an earlier ruling that Marvel Entertainment owns all of Jack Kirby's creations for the company outright.

Acting on behalf of the Kirby estate, Toberoff appeared before the panel of Second Circuit appeal judges on Wednesday, arguing that the original ruling relied on a misreading of the idea of "work done for hire." Under the 1909 Copyright Act, Toberoff argued, "work for hire" is defined as work created "at the instance and expense" of the employer, which he argues isn't the case of Kirby's relationship with Marvel at the time. "Here you've got a situation where no matter how you look at it, it's the purchase and assignment of completed material," Toberoff told the panel, arguing that Kirby had created the characters on his own time and offered them to the publisher afterwards.

A New York Federal Judge ruled in July 2011 that Kirby's work for Marvel was all work-for-hire, and that the estate had no claim to copyright termination, writing that there were "no genuine issues of material fact" to the contrary.

The panel announced that they would rule on the matter at a later date.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 October 2012 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

I am not aware of any books Kirby created back at the beginning of the "Marvel Age" that were done solely on his own initiative. It was always Stan Lee who knocked over the first domino.

The work Kirby did back then is classic "Work Made for Hire".

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2012 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'm surprised that his estate continues to make a case out of this... especially after the ruling in 2011. Greed has no bounds.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 26 October 2012 at 1:57pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 11
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version