Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 38 Next >>
Topic: "Marvel Comics, The Untold Story" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2013 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 1  

Sure! Lets get the ball rolling!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2013 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 2  

One of the interesting nuggets that I learned from the book was that Jim Starlin substituted the Comics Code Authority seal with a Cosmic Code Authority seal on the cover of Strange Tales #179 (April 1975).  I had to see it for myself, so I picked up the book on eBay last week.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 3  

Just started reading The Untold Story,Mort Weisinger seemed to be a terrible person to work with.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

Bill Collins wrote:
Mort Weisinger seemed to be a terrible person to work with.

That's the understatement of the year.  It's fascinating that Weisinger brought both Thomas and Shooter (the two most important post-Stan Marvel editors) into the industry in the first place, yet his behavior caused both of them to leave DC.  If he'd been more of a decent person, comic history would have been changed quite a bit.
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 5  

I've started grabbing back issues from the 70's and that issue of Strange Tales just made my list!

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 6  

I checked it out from the library this afternoon and couldn't even get through the prologue without choking on this guys agenda. I doubt I'll make it all the way to the end of the book, and I'm glad I didn't shell out any cash for it.

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

What agenda did you interprete from the prologue?

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 8  

"Stan Lee Bad!"

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 9  

I didn't that impression at all. Stan was a man trying to earn a living and
support a family. Frailties, the same as any other guy. The book, as I
read it, didn't cast him as a villain.

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 10  

"It took a few days of jotting down a million notes," Lee would remember years later. "...I wrote an outline...and gave it to my most trusted and dependable artist, the incredibly talented Jack Kirby."

That was how Stan Lee recalled the genesis of the Fantastic Four, and how he related it over and over again through the following decades...
Jack Kirby...would later tell it differently. "Marvel was on its ass, literally, and when I came around, they were practically hauling out the furniture...and Stan Lee was sitting there crying. I told them to hold everything, and I pledged that I would give them the kind of books that would up their sales and keep them in business."
--From the Prologue

Which I read as, Stan is a simp. And it kind of makes Jack look like an asshole. Pair this with the glowing praise of some of the 70's Marvel output that I don't care for that I've read in excerpts of the book, and I'm not anticipating slogging through the muck. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

Jack Kirby...would later tell it differently. "Marvel was on its ass, literally, and when I came around, they were practically hauling out the furniture...and Stan Lee was sitting there crying. I told them to hold everything, and I pledged that I would give them the kind of books that would up their sales and keep them in business."

••

I guess the years of monster books and Westerns were Kirby's way of warming up...

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 12  

John - I just read that as Lee and Kirby had completely different recollections of the same event.

We've seen the FF #1 script that turned up years ago, so I lean towards Stan's version, especially considering how Kirby dismissed everyone else's contributions.

To me, Stan comes across in the book as the creative face of the company who really wanted to make it big outside comics - first as a writer and then in Hollywood.  He went from a very big fish in a very small pond to a very small fish in a very big pond when he went to California looking to land a movie and television deals.

Kirby comes across as being crucial to the success of the company, but increasingly embittered when he saw Stan's financial success and what he saw as a lack of proper credit.

But we're talking about a group of human beings and like in many other working relationships there were disagreements, conflicts and jealousy along the way.

<< Prev Page of 38 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version