Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 38 Next >>
Topic: "Marvel Comics, The Untold Story" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 1  

I think most of the people who want to bust Stan's chops for not giving "proper credit" fall into either of two camps: the relentless Kirby boosters, who insist He and He Alone did EVERYTHING (including creating Spider-Man); and those who felt somehow "betrayed" (in that way only hardcore fans can) when they found out about the "Marvel Method" of plot/pencils/script.

As I have noted many times, tho, if one looks at the Kirby issues Stan scripted, really LOOKS at them, paying attention to what's in the pictures, compared to what's in the dialog, we can see Stan's contribution was considerably more than just the typist the Kirby Kamp would have him be. In fact, it's well known that Kirby was often not happy with how Stan scripted the books, sometimes telling a very different story from the one Kirby plotted. (I had similar problems with Claremont.)

Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 2  

Lee & Kirby were the Lennon & McCartney of comics - they did some memorable work individually, but their collaboration was something more.

Sometimes you need that second contributor to produce great comics.  There's a pretty short list of writer/artists who have done memorable work at Marvel - with JB, Jim Steranko, Walt Simonson, Jim Starlin and Frank Miller among them - and I don't think Stan has tried to grab all the credit.  In some instances he may have put to much importance in what the writer contributes in the creation of a character neglecting somewhat the artist's input, but he's been pretty fair in general.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 3  

Lee & Kirby were the Lennon & McCartney of comics - they did some memorable work individually, but their collaboration was something more.

Robert, I like this analogy...very true. Great on their own, but absolutely nuclear together.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 4  

There's a pretty short list of writer/artists who have done memorable work at Marvel - with JB, Jim Steranko, Walt Simonson, Jim Starlin and Frank Miller among them

While there has been a Roger Stern, Chris Claremont, Roger McKenzie or an Archie Goodwin that can be thrown into the mix successfully, I'd still rather see those five write and draw their own comics.

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 5  

After reading this book, I bought a collection of the old Atlas comics
from the Bronze Age. This was based solely on the creators involved
with it. The box sat in my house unread until a few minutes ago. I
wondered if I'd regret my impulse buy, made purely out of curiosity.
Having read the Destructor #1, with Wally Wood inks over Steve Ditko
pencils, I have already gotten my money's worth. Not only a fun read by
Archie Goodwin, but The dynamic between the two artists brought a
grin to my face.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

Matt Hawes wrote:
I point out to people every chance I get that the first person I recall giving credit to other creators at Marvel over Stan Lee was Stan Lee, himself. It was ORIGINS OF MARVEL COMICS where I first learned that Jack Kirby came up with the Silver Surfer because he thought that "God" needed a herald, and Stan liked the concept and went with it.

If Stan can be faulted with anything, it would be the credits in the first few years of Marvel Comics, which routinely said things like "written by Stan Lee, drawn by Jack Kirby" giving the impression that Stan wrote the stories entirely by himself.  It was those type of credits that annoyed the artists and prompted Ditko to demand he be given plotting credit (he claims he was sole plotter on Spider-Man for several months before he even started receiving plotting credit). 

It is true that by 1965 or 1966 Stan started discussing how the Marvel Method worked in both the letters pages and bullpen bulletins, and modified the credits to say things like "produced by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby" instead.  Since that time, Stan has always been forthcoming about how the comics were produced.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think most of the people who want to bust Stan's chops for not giving "proper credit" fall into either of two camps: the relentless Kirby boosters, who insist He and He Alone did EVERYTHING (including creating Spider-Man); and those who felt somehow "betrayed" (in that way only hardcore fans can) when they found out about the "Marvel Method" of plot/pencils/script.

+++++++++

Absolutely. When it comes to movies/TV/comics/etc., people really do seem to want to pin creative success (or failure!) on a single visionary, don't they?

In the case of Lee and Kirby, the books would not have been as magical if one of them hadn't been present.

Kirby was one of the greatest artists in the history of the medium (if not the greatest!). Lee is probably the best writer-editor in the history of the medium. They both brought iconic concepts and characters to the table. 

++++++++

As I have noted many times, tho, if one looks at the Kirby issues Stan scripted, really LOOKS at them, paying attention to what's in the pictures, compared to what's in the dialog, we can see Stan's contribution was considerably more than just the typist the Kirby Kamp would have him be. In fact, it's well known that Kirby was often not happy with how Stan scripted the books, sometimes telling a very different story from the one Kirby plotted. (I had similar problems with Claremont.)

+++++++++

Yep. I've been reading my accumulated Masterworks, recently, and it's fascinating to spot all of those little moments where Stan's scripting subtly (or obviously!) altered/augmented/improved/detracted from Kirby's art.

The classic example, for me, is that moment in the Red Skull's origin story, where Stan's scripting kicked the story up a few notches beyond the page as drawn by Kirby--

Kirby drew a Nazi officer interrupting Hitler as the latter was training the Skull (who's wearing an SS uniform.). Hitler smacks the officer in the face, and then presents the Skull with his costume.

Lee scripted it so that Hitler saw the Skull being trained as a mere SS by the officer, smacks the officer in the face, and takes over the Skull's training personally. We then see Hitler presenting the Skull with his costume at the end of the training (with a good period of time having passed between panels, rather than mere seconds, as was clearly intended by the art).

Amazing.

On the flipside, since Lee and Ditko weren't talking at that point, in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 30, Lee mistakenly named the goons in purple suits as agents of the Cat (that  particular issue's villain), whereas Ditko was actually laying in subplot for the Master Planner story that followed in the next issue.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 10 January 2013 at 1:17pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 8  

Fred, those Atlas-Seaboard comics are a mixed bag to say the least.  Destructor (by Goodwin/Ditko), Scorpion (by Chaykin) and the Grim Ghost (by Fleisher and Colon) are the best of the lot.  Several of their other titles have some nice art but stories that are often highly derivative of other comics as well as books and film.  And then there are a few titles that fall into the "comic version of a film MST3K would do" category (Morlock 2001).  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

…Atlas comics from the Bronze Age.…

••

Much as I loathe "Golden Age" and "Silver Age" (especially when I am compelled to use them, for lack of anything else), I hate loathe and despise "Bronze Age" most of all.

Nothing like having all my work, and the work of my contemporaries, awarded "third place".

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 10  

The classic example, for me, is that moment in the Red Skull's origin story, where Stan's scripting kicked the story up a few notches beyond the page as drawn by Kirby--

Kirby drew a Nazi officer interrupting Hitler as the latter was training the Skull (who's wearing an SS uniform.). Hitler smacks the officer in the face, and then presents the Skull with his costume.

Lee scripted it so that Hitler saw the Skull being trained as a mere SS by the officer, smacks the officer in the face, and takes over the Skull's training personally. We then see Hitler presenting the Skull with his costume at the end of the training (with a good period of time having passed between panels, rather than mere seconds, as was clearly intended by the art).

Amazing.

••

I usually point to that origin of the Red Skull as the best place to see the Lee/Kirby synthesis at work. In addition to the scene you name, there's also one where the Skull is clearly shooting an off-panel victim to death, as Hitler looks on horrified. But Stan didn't write the scene that way. He has Hitler exclaim that the Skull has shot all the buttons off the man's uniform, but left him alive. "Dead he is of no use," the Skull sneers, "but alive, he can be retrained!"

It's brilliant stuff!

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 11  

The "ages" various metallic qualities obviously aren't a literal barometer of quality. I mean, obviously, the Marvel material of the 60's was vastly superior to anything published by DC in the Golden Age. Your FF/X-Men, Walt's Thor, Millers FF, Perez Titans, etc, etc, were all Bronze Age classics, yet they're infinitely superior to just about anything not 50's EC and 60's Marvel.

I'd prefer descriptive names for the various age. "Pre-War" age, "Post-War" age, "Modern-Age", etc. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

Even then, though, you'll eventually have to find a different name for "Modern Age" twenty to thirty years down the line.  Me, I prefer just mentioning the decade.  A lot more specific and way less messy to me. 

<< Prev Page of 38 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version