Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 38 Next >>
Topic: "Marvel Comics, The Untold Story" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 1  

A magazine would go through fact checking.
Back to Top profile | search

Jay Schimel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 2  

I was one of the organizers of the con Fred so I spent the entire weekend with him. And JB, the "lost cause" comment I find offensive personally. You don't know me. I usually don't post on this site but do read the posts. The only reason I posted on this thread is that I have read the book, which I did enjoy, and that since Jim Valentino said the Image stuff was bs I wonder how many other things in the book were either not true or distorted. JB you were a big part of Marvel at one time so you would certainly know if a large chunk of the book was accurate or not. To me my use of knowledge is not flawed because I was told the founding of Image story by Valentino himself, so how can you say my knowledge is flawed? As I said, maybe Valentino's perspective is skewed as JB said. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jay Schimel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm not trying to start a fight here or piss anyone off. I really did enjoy the book. I just wonder about the accuracy of a lot of it. So lets just agree to disagree and move on. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 4  

I haven't read the book. What exactly is Valentino disputing about founding of Image? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

I don't know that it's fair to conclude that a book is "distorted" because one person involved says a portion of it is inaccurate.  Sometimes memories differ.  Sometimes people involved tell conflicting, or even outright contradictory, stories.  As noted earlier in this thread, JB and Roger Stern have differing recollections of why they left Captain America.  Or if you look in the Gerry Conway thread, there's several  examples of situations where the people involved remember events in vastly different ways.  In those examples either someone is lying or someone is misremembering, but who is to say which is which?  A historian should try to present all sides as much as possible, but I suppose sometimes you have to pick one version of events over another.  I presume Howe had sources for all the things in the book which Valentino says were BS, and I'm sure he was not trying to distort things or be inaccurate.

Clifford Boudreaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2013 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

The problem with any first-hand account is that people's memories are often very unreliable. Even trained observers will often get facts mixed up or be subjected to various types of bias which alters the way they remember the facts.

There was a member of a famous band (I want to say Pink Floyd, but that memory is hopelessly unreliable) who wanted to write a completely factual autobiography of the band and talked to all the other members. He usually ended up with several incompatible stories of what happened.

The best you can do with any kind of book like this is to document your sources and make an attempt to contact all living parties. Truth is something the human species is incapable of determining.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 7  

To me my use of knowledge is not flawed because I was told the founding of Image story by Valentino himself, so how can you say my knowledge is flawed? As I said, maybe Valentino's perspective is skewed as JB said.

••

Do you reread what you write before posting?

Valentino was one of the first to actively rewrite the history of Image. When, at the end of their first year, COMIC BUYER'S GUIDE printed a list of the top selling comic publishers, and put Malibu in first place, Valentino fired off a letter declaring it was Image! Image! Image! that was Number One!

Don Thompson responded by pointing out that Image had been created as an imprint with Malibu, not an independent company. (Recall my comment that it was Malibu that was taking any and all financial "risk".) Therefore much as the founders of Image might wish it otherwise, it was not Image that was the best selling comic company, but their "home base", Malibu.

Not long after, now certain of their success, Image themselves further contradicted Valentino's claim, by formally separating themselves from Malibu and announcing that they would, from then on, publish their own material. The cautious and conservative, and pretty much risk free birth of Image Comics was complete.

Jay Schimel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 8  

I think I might have been a little misleading about what I posted JB. By financial risk Valentino meant leaving huge money they were making at Marvel. Never once did he mention to me that Malibu was backing them financially. From what you've clarified on my post, Jim made the forming of Image seem a lot more heroic and risky for all of them, at least from his perspective. So all I know is what he told me. As I said, you know more about all of this than me as you were there when all of this was going down and I wasn't. I'm just relaying what I was told. Putting my small knowledge of a small part of the book out there. I'm not saying I know any more than that. I would love to hear what a lot of other creators have to say. It would be a shame IMHO if a lot of the book was inaccurate because as I said, I did enjoy it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 9  

Putting my small knowledge of a small part of the book out there. I'm not saying I know any more than that.

••

This is how you "entered the conversation":

" I happen to know Jim Valentino. Was sitting in a bar when we had him at our con in St. Louis last summer and he was telling me all about the founding of image and how they were all breaking it to their families they were leaving a great paying gig with Marvel to take this huge risk. He said all of the founding of Image stuff in the book is b.s. and from what I read in the book and what he told me I know that's the case."

Apparently, like Valentino, you are now embarked on a rewrite of your own history.

Jay Schimel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 10  

And I corrected myself by what I meant JB, I didn't rewrite my own history. I'm not perfect. I misspoke and am trying to correct that. But even when I do that I still get attacked. One of the reasons I don't post a lot on this site is I think some of the rules are too restrictive.  A couple of years ago I posted about the first weekend con ever in St. Louis and asking who was going and the post was removed. What's wrong with getting the word out, getting more attendees and maybe picking up a few new readers for people. We weren't doing the con to make a bunch of money. We were doing it for our love of comics and because we felt St. Louis deserved a real con. 

Jay Schimel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 11  

And I added to my previous post trying to draw more on your knowledge of those times and turn it back into a constructive thread to analyze the book, giving kudos to you that you know more than me and JB you didn't even acknowledge that or comment on it. You simply replied keeping me on the defensive. As I said in a previous post, I'm not trying to start an argument or piss anyone off. This has been an interesting thread but my attempts to turn it away from me and back to what this thread is supposed to be about isn't working.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 12  

John Byrne wrote:
...I still think the best "history of Marvel" book is Stan's ORIGINS OF MARVEL COMICS. It was written long enough ago that memories were still fresh, and Stan -- contrary to popular mythology -- gave all due credit where credit was due...

I point out to people every chance I get that the first person I recall giving credit to other creators at Marvel over Stan Lee was Stan Lee, himself. It was ORIGINS OF MARVEL COMICS where I first learned that Jack Kirby came up with the Silver Surfer because he thought that "God" needed a herald, and Stan liked the concept and went with it. ORIGINS was published in the mid-1970's, at a time when the anti-Stan crowd wasn't so well-known (I didn;t know about them, at least), or so vocal, so Stan certainly wasn't giving credit to appease them.

And here's an ironic thing to me about those that bash Stan Lee for "hogging" credit: Stan Lee was the guy who made credits in comic books the standard! And the funny and creative way he did it brought attention to those credits, with the nicknames and such. Most publishers rarely gave ANY credit in the comics at all before the Marvel Age of Comics. And that was Stan's decision to have those credits in the comics Marvel published.

<< Prev Page of 38 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version