Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: The Phantom Guy We All Know (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2012 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 1  

Wouldn't he have been in his 20's when Alien came out?

Yes.  But he is in his 50's now and has the opinion that Alien, of all movies, is boring.  I would guess he had the same opinion when he was in his 20's.

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2012 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 2  

our collective attention span-- partly thanks to the internet and the plethora of cable channels blasting away 24/7--has been reduced to picoseconds. the life of a fruitfly is an unbearable span of time and the fall of a single raindrop an eternity.

and my life is STILL going by too fast! :)

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 04 October 2012 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

Flavio Sapha wrote:
Spoilers request!

Best I could find quickly (copied from readcomicbooks.net):

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
The Phantom Stranger made his first appearance in the New 52 in Justice League #6 (blink and you’ll miss it,) but it wasn’t until DC’s Free Comic Book Day issue that the first revelations were made about character’s New 52 origins. The FCBD issue introduced readers to the Trinity of Sin; three mortals deemed the ultimate sinners by mystical gods who cursed them with immortality. These sinners are left to wander the Earth as Pandora, the Question and the Phantom Stranger. Perhaps most intriguing about this FCBD issue is the identity of the sinner who becomes the Phantom Stranger. So, just who is the Phantom Stranger? He is none other than the man responsible for the betrayal of Jesus Christ, the infamous Judas Iscariot.

Link:  http://readcomicbooks.net/home/tag/the-phantom-stranger/

Edited by John Bodin on 04 October 2012 at 12:57pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2012 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 4  

Regarding a non-spoiler detail from the spoiler above... so The Question is one of the three "ultimate sinners" of all time?  Man, is there any character in the history of comics who has been distorted further from his creator's original conception than the Question?  Everything that's been done with him since DC acquired the character has been one big giant f*** you to Ditko.  

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 04 October 2012 at 2:37pm

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2012 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 5  

"..and get frustrated when they can't put it all together right away."

Case in point:
I was watching 2001 one day with my wife who had never seen it. She got about 15 minutes in and walked out saying, "I have no idea what's going on. I can't get into this." (Or something to that effect, that exact quote may have been from a different movie) My wife isn't stupid either, she does genetic research! But since 2001 requires you to really watch it to understand, it was an alien experience for her. (So to speak) God help her if she had made it to the end. The problem isn't just people necessarily wanting to be told everything, it's also about giving people a bone so they don't feel stupid and can anticipate what's around every formulaic bend and say so out loud beforehand so they can enjoy some self satisfaction when it inevitably does. 2001 has like, no dialogue for what, 25 minutes? And it certainly doesn't telegraph where its going. But if you watch it closely, it tells you everything. That's part of the beauty of that film.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 October 2012 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

Good man doing the right thing for the right reasons not an option?

iii

Yes.....Though I think there's a place for motivation(s) as well.

••

You mean "the right reasons"?

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2012 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 7  

This is the second time one of my favorite fictional characters was given an origin that made him that guy, one in comics now and one in a movie about a decade ago.

Yeah. While the Phantom Stranger was never a personal favorite, I had read the original "Secret Origins" ...and later saw the same movie you're referencing.

Great minds? Or did someone else read that Secret Origins?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2012 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

Stephen Churay wrote: "It's been a long time since I read the SECRET ORIGINS issue that Steven posted. Time plays trick on the mind sometimes and my memory of that issue was that he was who they are now claiming him to be. Even though I don't think that was the actual story in that issue. I actually think it's a cool backstory for A CHARACTER but agree with JB that the Phantom Stranger should remain just that " a stranger".

Stephen, I'm not entirely certain I get what you're saying about this newest revelation concerning the Phantom Stranger's origins, but that issue of Secret Origins offered four distinctly different stories of where the Stranger might have come from, and commited to none of them.

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
1. He is a version of the Wandering Jew, in this case a man whose wife and child were killed when Herod ordered all infants born around the time of Christ's birth killed to prevent the rise of the savior. He bribes a Roman to allow him to participate in the torture of Jesus, and is sentenced to walk the Earth as punishment. 2. He is a good man who is spared by an angel of God during the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. Unwilling to live while all about him die, he kills himself, but is resurrected and made to travel alone throughout time, once again as punishment. 3. He is an angel himself during the time of the War In Heaven. When Lucifer rebels, here partially against "Yahweh's dangerous plan to make clay sit up and talk," the angel who will become the Stranger refuses to take sides. As a result, in the aftermath, the angels in Heaven will no longer have him and the demons (transformed angels) of Hell cut off his wings and throw him out, leaving him no place to go but Earth and no choice but to walk. 4. He is the last survivor of the cosmos previous to this one ala' Galen, the man who would become Galactus.

It is this last one that is followed up in the Phantom Stranger mini-series that came out after this issue, wherein he is a key figure in the battle between the Lords of Order and Chaos, as is Eclipso.

Later, the Vertigo authors would more or less canonize the Alan Moore origin concerning the War In Heaven.

None of the above stories have anything to do with the origin we're given in Dan Didio's latest train wreck.

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2012 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 9  

You mean "the right reasons"?

iii

I should have said " other motivations."

Viet Nam and munitions maker were troubling things in the US by the mid 70's even in the pages of Ironman. I don't think the movie makers put anything up there they didn't need to address if Stark was going to remain a munitions maker that becomes a superhero.

If Batman was the president of Smith and Wesson wouldn't you ask how he sleeps at night?

Edited by David Plunkert on 04 October 2012 at 9:31pm

Brett Wilson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2012 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 10  

The first issue was terrible, I will not bother with that series anymore.  

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2012 at 11:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

How long before we find out it was teenaged Bruce Wayne who hired Joe Chill to off his parents so he, Bruce, could get his inheritance?

IIRC, during his run on Batman, Brian Azzerella revealed that a 10 year old Bruce Wayne was partly responsible for his parents deaths because he was acting like a spoiled brat who insisted that they go to the movies that particular night. So now we have yet another long time hero stamped with the whole guilt and redemption thing that so many modern creators like to saddle the characters with.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 October 2012 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 12  

How long before we find out it was teenaged Bruce Wayne who hired Joe Chill to off his parents so he, Bruce, could get his inheritance?

IIRC, during his run on Batman, Brian Azzerella revealed that a 10 year old Bruce Wayne was partly responsible for his parents deaths because he was acting like a spoiled brat who insisted that they go to the movies that particular night. So now we have yet another long time hero stamped with the whole guilt and redemption thing that so many modern creators like to saddle the characters with.

••

If we accept that Joe Chill was HIRED to kill the Waynes, which was a long established part of the mythology, then Bruce's behavior would have no impact at all on the nature of their deaths. If they went to a movie, or their favorite restaurant, or for a drive in the country, or STAYED HOME, they would have gotten just as dead.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version