Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: The Phantom Guy We All Know (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 October 2012 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 1  

Just learned the Phantom Stranger has been revealed to be -- well, to avoid Spoilers, let's just say, as my title indicates, someone we've all heard of.

Now, aside from the fact that Roger Stern had years ago come up with a PERFECT origin for the Phantom Stranger (he's Terry Thirteen), the Phantom Strange BY DEFINITION should not HAVE an origin. And if, in the depths of fan wankery if become absolutely "necessary" to give him one -- well, first get a dictionary and look up the word "stranger".

sigh

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 October 2012 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 2  

Oh boy.  I guess it was too much to hope for that we never found out much about the biggest unknown in the DCU.  Should have known it was only a matter of time when Marvel released ORIGIN, it's own tale spelling out pretty much everything about their own mysterious character.

Brett Wilson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2012 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

At least they DC hasn't ruined any other characters in their reboot. Sarcasm intended.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 4  

Spoilers request!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2012 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 5  

You know, the reason I liked a lot of MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE characters as a kid was the fact that quite a few of them were shrouded in mystery. Castle Grayskull had quite a few secrets. Once you start revealing them, well a large part of a character's mystique is tainted.

Same with the Doctor (from DOCTOR WHO). The First Doctor was very vague about his origins in the first ever episode and even some of the later incarnations didn't reveal everything. Nowadays, we have the "Time War" and all sorts of things handed.

Some great secret agent characters don't have origins, a lot is left to our imagination. THE EQUALIZER was a good example of that. 

I like origins for some characters, but there is something satisfying about not knowing everything about a character. I like the fact that sci-fi and fantasy characters can remain secretive, the less we know, the better.

It's just a shame that everything has to be told now and fans and publishers both appear to want it. It's the same with non-comic stuff. Take my favourite show THE A-TEAM, for example. Years ago, the opening intro was enough ("Four guys escaped from a military prison for a crime they didn't commit and fled to L.A."). And on with the action we went. If that show were being made today, we'd need a five-part origin episode and every detail of their Vietnam exploits revealed.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2012 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 6  

I picked up the recent Phantom Stranger #1 because Brent Anderson did the pencils.  The artwork was dissappointingly sloppy, but the writing was downright horrible.  Analogies and messages that a good writer would hint at were slapped across the reader's face with fists made of large hams.  And then I checked to see who wrote it.  Oh.  Yeah, that explains everything....

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2012 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

Lame. 

Oh well, I still have my Showcase books and my Jim Aparo Stranger pin-up. No one better than that on the Phantom Stranger.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2012 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

I just looked this up. Holy Christ! What a lame revelation! This takes a character that was kind of cool and spooky and makes him just another redeeming ghost guy. I definitely preferred him as character that we didn't know who or what he was.

Is anything allowed to be mysterious anymore?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2012 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 9  

This is a little tenuous, but...

I like the novel CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. Willy Wonka was rather a mysterious character, we knew little about him. He had the same mystique in the 1971 film version, but then Tim Burton had to show us everything in his version, even getting Christopher Lee in the film. Was Burton a fan? Perhaps, and if so, it was proof that a fan should never be let near a franchise.

What we have now - and I am by no means the first person to say this - is a mindset where fans who wanted everything explained to them are now the ones creating the books.

As a kid, I wanted the Hulk and The Thing to be cured. If I had become a comic writer, I'd have probably done that, hence the reason fans shouldn't be allowed near a particular property. Len Wein's words seem more apt than ever.

Pascal LISE
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 10  

Bad omen for the medium, yet another nail in the coffin.

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 11  

I was never big into DC, but I distinctly remember...

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 12  

Seems a little forced.

Without knowing who the Stranger is... the snap brim hat and cloak read as the standard uniform of the mysterious story narrator archetype (The Witness, The Mysterious Traveler, etc)

Now that I know who he is my next question is...why would that guy look like he stepped out of movie noir?

Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version